[ALL] Component with multiple modules?

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
multiple modules?

Re: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?

Artem Barger
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
> multiple modules?

​I cannot point you to the multi module project within ASF commons, while
it's not that
hard to create one. First of all you can use "mvn archetype:generate" to
create base
skeleton to play with, for example:

1. mvn archetype:generate -DgroupId=org.apache.commons \
                                        -DartifactId=commons-rng \

-DarchetypeArtifactId=org.codehaus.mojo.archetypes

2. Enter commons-rng folder and run:
    mvn archetype:generate -DgroupId=org.apache.commons \
                                        -DartifactId=commons-rng-core \

-DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-quickstart

    mvn archetype:generate -DgroupId=org.apache.commons \
                                         -DartifactId=commons-rng-utility \

-DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-quickstart

This will create parent muti-module project "commons-rng" with two modules
"utility" and "core".

Here is the example of pom.xml for possible multi module RNG component,
assuming
you have one main module with all core logic which is "commons-rng-core"
and another
utility one "commong-rng-utility" both of these are wrapped into pom
packaged module
"commons-rng":

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="
http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

  <parent>
    <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
    <artifactId>commons-parent</artifactId>
    <version>41</version>
  </parent>

  <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
  <artifactId>commons-rng</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>

  <name>rng</name>
  <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>

  <properties>
  </properties>

  <modules>
    <module>commons-rng-core</module>
    <module>commons-rng-utils</module>
  </modules>

  <inceptionYear>2016</inceptionYear>
  <description>The Apache Commons RNG project provides implementations of
random numbers generators.</description>

  <url>http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/</url>

  <issueManagement>
    <system>jira</system>
    <url>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG</url>
  </issueManagement>

  <scm>
    <connection>scm:git:
http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-rng.git</connection>
    <developerConnection>scm:git:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-rng.git
</developerConnection>
    <url>https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git</url>
  </scm>

  <distributionManagement>
    <site>
      <id>apache.website</id>
      <name>Apache Commons Site</name>
      <url>scm:svn:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-rng/
</url>
    </site>
  </distributionManagement>

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>4.11</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
</project>

​Hope this helps you.​

Best regards,
                      Artem Barger.

Re: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?

Matt Benson-2
On Oct 20, 2016 7:00 AM, "Gilles" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
> multiple modules?

[weaver] is the most recently released multimodule Commons component.

Matt

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:23:28 -0500, Matt Benson wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2016 7:00 AM, "Gilles" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
>> multiple modules?
>>

> [weaver] is the most recently released multimodule Commons component.

Thanks; but it seems that the web site contains stale information:
   $ svn checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/weaver/tags/1.3_RC2
commons-weaver-base

> Matt
>
>> Thanks,
>> Gilles

[RNG] Evaluating work required for a multi-module project (Was: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?)

Hi Artem.

Would you be willing to create a branch containing actual
files?

If so, since the break-down into modules I'm thinking of is
not the one you've taken below,[1] I suggest that you create
an "all-example" module, into which you'd move _all_ the code.

I'd think that you should start from
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/weaver/trunk/pom.xml
as suggested by Matt.

Then, I expect that
  $ mvn clean site
will run smoothly, and produce everything which the current
config does.[2]

Please let me know if you don't have the time to do it, or if
you run into any problem that would prevent this goal to be
achieved quickly.[3]

[1] I'm still convinced that the "utils" (referred to in the
     other thread) should be a separate component.  But we could
     nevertheless create modules in "Commons RNG" that would
     clearly stress the separation between the low-level RNG
     algorithms, the high-level interfaces and the "simple API".
     Then later on, the "utils" component could choose to only
     depend on the "core" algorithms and provide its own API.
[2] In that case, I'll give a try at splitting the codebase.
[3] In that case, I'll start the release process tomorrow, with
     what we have now.

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 15:20:12 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:

> [...]
>
>   <parent>
>     <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>     <artifactId>commons-parent</artifactId>
>     <version>41</version>
>   </parent>
>
>   <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>   <artifactId>commons-rng</artifactId>
>   <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>   <packaging>pom</packaging>
>
>   <name>rng</name>
>   <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
>
>   <properties>
>
> <project.build.sourceEncoding>UTF-8</project.build.sourceEncoding>
>   </properties>
>
>   <modules>
>     <module>commons-rng-core</module>
>     <module>commons-rng-utils</module>
>   </modules>
>
>   <inceptionYear>2016</inceptionYear>
>   <description>The Apache Commons RNG project provides
> implementations of
> random numbers generators.</description>

Re: [RNG] Evaluating work required for a multi-module project (Was: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?)

Artem Barger
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Artem.
>
> Would you be willing to create a branch containing actual
> files?

​Yes, will do it today.​

> If so, since the break-down into modules I'm thinking of is
> not the one you've taken below,[1] I suggest that you create
> an "all-example" module, into which you'd move _all_ the code.
>
> I'd think that you should start from
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/weaver/trunk/pom.xml
> as suggested by Matt.

​Going to take a look into it.​

> Then, I expect that
>  $ mvn clean site
> will run smoothly, and produce everything which the current
> config does.[2]
>
> Please let me know if you don't have the time to do it, or if
> you run into any problem that would prevent this goal to be
> achieved quickly.[3]

I should be able to do it soon.

Best regards,
                      Artem Barger.

Re: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?

Matt Benson-2
I never thought of that, but it seems as though you have stumbled onto a
way in which generating the component site with the actual RC will always
result in a problem. I'll rebuild the site from trunk.

Thanks,
Matt

On Oct 20, 2016 8:20 AM, "Gilles" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:23:28 -0500, Matt Benson wrote:
>
>> On Oct 20, 2016 7:00 AM, "Gilles" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
>>> multiple modules?
>>>

>> [weaver] is the most recently released multimodule Commons component.
>>

> Thanks; but it seems that the web site contains stale information:
>   $ svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/as
> f/commons/proper/weaver/tags/1.3_RC2 commons-weaver-base

>> Matt
>>
>> Thanks,
>>> Gilles

Re: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?

Emmanuel Bourg-3
On 10/20/2016 01:55 PM, Gilles wrote:

> Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
> multiple modules?

Hi Gilles,

You can get a look at JCI.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?

garydgregory
Not in Commons, but Log4j 2 has lots of modules.

Gary

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/20/2016 01:55 PM, Gilles wrote:
>
> > Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
> > multiple modules?
>
> Hi Gilles,
>
> You can get a look at JCI.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [RNG] Evaluating work required for a multi-module project (Was: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?)

Artem Barger
​Hi Gilles,​

wrote:

> Hi Artem.
>
> Would you be willing to create a branch containing actual
> files?
>
> If so, since the break-down into modules I'm thinking of is
> not the one you've taken below,[1] I suggest that you create
> an "all-example" module, into which you'd move _all_ the code.
>
> I'd think that you should start from
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/weaver/trunk/pom.xml
> as suggested by Matt.
>
> Then, I expect that
>  $ mvn clean site
> will run smoothly, and produce everything which the current
> config does.[2]
>
> Please let me know if you don't have the time to do it, or if
> you run into any problem that would prevent this goal to be
> achieved quickly.[3]

​I've create a new branch where restructured project folders to add support
for multi modules. I still need to work on some configurations. Would be
glad if you can take a look and provide comments.

Best regards,
                      Artem Barger.

Re: [RNG] Evaluating work required for a multi-module project

Gilles Sadowski
Hello.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 02:31:33 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:

> ​Hi Gilles,​
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Gilles
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Artem.
>>
>> Would you be willing to create a branch containing actual
>> files?
>>
>> If so, since the break-down into modules I'm thinking of is
>> not the one you've taken below,[1] I suggest that you create
>> an "all-example" module, into which you'd move _all_ the code.
>>
>> I'd think that you should start from
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/weaver/trunk/pom.xml
>> as suggested by Matt.
>>
>> Then, I expect that
>>  $ mvn clean site
>> will run smoothly, and produce everything which the current
>> config does.[2]
>>
>> Please let me know if you don't have the time to do it, or if
>> you run into any problem that would prevent this goal to be
>> achieved quickly.[3]
>>

> ​I've create a new branch where restructured project folders to add
> support
> for multi modules. I still need to work on some configurations. Would
> be
> glad if you can take a look and provide comments.

As I feared:
  $ mvn clean site
does not produce everything...

Is there an alternative command for a multi-module project?

The
  * userguide [1]
  * apidocs
  * jacoco
  * clirr
  * rat
and others, are missing (or partial).

The "About" page provides a link to "Apache Commons RNG Core", but it
is dead ("File not found").

The "Dependencies" page refers to packages that shouldn't be there
("jopt-simple", "commons-math3").

[1] It should probably stay at the top-level (i.e. not have one
     userguide par module).

Re: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?

Ralph Goers
Commons VFS is a multi-module project.

Ralph

> On Oct 20, 2016, at 4:55 AM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
> multiple modules?

Re: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Commons RDF as well, although it is still published under its own incubator
subdomain.

On 20 Oct 2016 2:00 pm, "Gilles" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
> multiple modules?

Re: [RNG] Evaluating work required for a multi-module project

Ralph Goers
Please read the documentation on the maven site plugin - https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/examples/multimodule.html <https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/examples/multimodule.html>. “mvn site” builds the sites for all the individual modules but it does not put them together. That happens when you do site:stage-deploy or site:deploy.

Ralph

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 4:07 AM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 02:31:33 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
>> ​Hi Gilles,​
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Artem.
>>>
>>> Would you be willing to create a branch containing actual
>>> files?
>>>
>>> If so, since the break-down into modules I'm thinking of is
>>> not the one you've taken below,[1] I suggest that you create
>>> an "all-example" module, into which you'd move _all_ the code.
>>>
>>> I'd think that you should start from
>>>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/weaver/trunk/pom.xml
>>> as suggested by Matt.
>>>
>>> Then, I expect that
>>> $ mvn clean site
>>> will run smoothly, and produce everything which the current
>>> config does.[2]
>>>
>>> Please let me know if you don't have the time to do it, or if
>>> you run into any problem that would prevent this goal to be
>>> achieved quickly.[3]
>>>

>> ​I've create a new branch where restructured project folders to add support
>> for multi modules. I still need to work on some configurations. Would be
>> glad if you can take a look and provide comments.
>
> As I feared:
> $ mvn clean site
> does not produce everything...
>
> Is there an alternative command for a multi-module project?
>
> The
> * userguide [1]
> * apidocs
> * jacoco
> * clirr
> * rat
> and others, are missing (or partial).
>
> The "About" page provides a link to "Apache Commons RNG Core", but it
> is dead ("File not found").
>
> The "Dependencies" page refers to packages that shouldn't be there
> ("jopt-simple", "commons-math3").

> [1] It should probably stay at the top-level (i.e. not have one
>    userguide par module).

> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [ALL] Component with multiple modules?

Thomas Vandahl
On 20.10.16 13:55, Gilles wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Can you point me at a component that has a config supporting
> multiple modules?

You may look at commons-jcs, especially at the commons-jcs-dist module
that builds a complete distribution of all modules.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: [RNG] Evaluating work required for a multi-module project

Artem Barger
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As I feared:
>  $ mvn clean site
> does not produce everything...
>
> ​I think that in case of multi model project simple "mvn site" won't be
enough,
​not sure but I think that "mvn site:deploy" should do the work in that
case.

> Is there an alternative command for a multi-module project?
>
> The
>  * userguide [1]
>  * apidocs
>  * jacoco
>  * clirr
>  * rat
> and others, are missing (or partial).
>
> The "About" page provides a link to "Apache Commons RNG Core", but it
> is dead ("File not found").
>
> The "Dependencies" page refers to packages that shouldn't be there
> ("jopt-simple", "commons-math3").

Well as I said I'm still have a few things to add, also I'd like to take
all build related
plugins config files (pmd, findbug, checkstyle and etc) into separate
module.​

Best regards,
                      Artem Barger.

Re: [RNG] Evaluating work required for a multi-module project

Artem Barger
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Please read the documentation on the maven site plugin -
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/
> examples/multimodule.html <https://maven.apache.org/
> plugins/maven-site-plugin/examples/multimodule.html>. “mvn site” builds
> the sites for all the individual modules but it does not put them together.
> That happens when you do site:stage-deploy or site:deploy.

​Yeah, as I thought just "mvn site" for multimodule is not enough. ​

Best regards,
                      Artem Barger.