[ALL] How to "deploy" selectively (multi-module project)?

[ALL] How to "deploy" selectively (multi-module project)?

Gilles Sadowski
Hello.

For "Commons RNG" (branch "RNG-30__sampling"),

   $ mvn clean deploy -Prelease -Ptest-deploy

fails with
---
Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy (default-deploy)
on project commons-rng-build-tools: Deployment failed: repository
element was not specified in the POM inside distributionManagement
element or in -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter ->
[Help 1]
---

The module referred to is "commons-rng-build-tools" but in fact
that one must NOT be released (as, IIUC, it is only used to build
the "public" modules of the component).

How does one specify that the module should be built but not deployed?

Re: [ALL] How to "deploy" selectively (multi-module project)?

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hello Gilles,

Gilles <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 17. Nov. 2016 um
00:38 Uhr:

> Hello.
>
> For "Commons RNG" (branch "RNG-30__sampling"),
>
>    $ mvn clean deploy -Prelease -Ptest-deploy
>
> fails with
> ---
> Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy (default-deploy)
> on project commons-rng-build-tools: Deployment failed: repository
> element was not specified in the POM inside distributionManagement
> element or in -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter ->
> [Help 1]
> ---
>
> The module referred to is "commons-rng-build-tools" but in fact
> that one must NOT be released (as, IIUC, it is only used to build
> the "public" modules of the component).
>
> How does one specify that the module should be built but not deployed?

Does http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html do the
trick for you?

Re: [ALL] How to "deploy" selectively (multi-module project)?

Jörg Schaible-5
Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Hello Gilles,
>
> Gilles <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 17. Nov. 2016 um
> 00:38 Uhr:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> For "Commons RNG" (branch "RNG-30__sampling"),
>>
>>    $ mvn clean deploy -Prelease -Ptest-deploy
>>
>> fails with
>> ---
>> Failed to execute goal
>> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy (default-deploy)
>> on project commons-rng-build-tools: Deployment failed: repository
>> element was not specified in the POM inside distributionManagement
>> element or in -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter ->
>> [Help 1]
>> ---
>>
>> The module referred to is "commons-rng-build-tools" but in fact
>> that one must NOT be released (as, IIUC, it is only used to build
>> the "public" modules of the component).
>>
>> How does one specify that the module should be built but not deployed?
>>

> Does http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html do the
> trick for you?

However, if the build tools are required (i.e. referenced) to build the
other components, you probably will have to release the build tools also.

Cheers,
Jörg

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 07:51:02 +0000, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Hello Gilles,
>
> Gilles <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 17. Nov. 2016
> um
> 00:38 Uhr:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> For "Commons RNG" (branch "RNG-30__sampling"),
>>
>>    $ mvn clean deploy -Prelease -Ptest-deploy
>>
>> fails with
>> ---
>> Failed to execute goal
>> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy
>> (default-deploy)
>> on project commons-rng-build-tools: Deployment failed: repository
>> element was not specified in the POM inside distributionManagement
>> element or in -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter ->
>> [Help 1]
>> ---
>>
>> The module referred to is "commons-rng-build-tools" but in fact
>> that one must NOT be released (as, IIUC, it is only used to build
>> the "public" modules of the component).
>>
>> How does one specify that the module should be built but not
>> deployed?
>>

> Does http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html do
> the
> trick for you?

Yes. Thank you.

Now, on to the next error... :-!

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:30:16 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>
>> Hello Gilles,
>>
>> Gilles <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 17. Nov. 2016
>> um
>> 00:38 Uhr:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> For "Commons RNG" (branch "RNG-30__sampling"),
>>>
>>>    $ mvn clean deploy -Prelease -Ptest-deploy
>>>
>>> fails with
>>> ---
>>> Failed to execute goal
>>> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy
>>> (default-deploy)
>>> on project commons-rng-build-tools: Deployment failed: repository
>>> element was not specified in the POM inside distributionManagement
>>> element or in -DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter
>>> ->
>>> [Help 1]
>>> ---
>>>
>>> The module referred to is "commons-rng-build-tools" but in fact
>>> that one must NOT be released (as, IIUC, it is only used to build
>>> the "public" modules of the component).
>>>
>>> How does one specify that the module should be built but not
>>> deployed?
>>>

>> Does http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html do
>> the
>> trick for you?
>
> However, if the build tools are required (i.e. referenced) to build
> the
> other components, you probably will have to release the build tools
> also.

You mentioned that earlier, but I don't understand why it should
be released.
It's the build process that needs this module being built (first).
It only contains various reporting tools' config files; no Java
source.[1]

Developers who check out from the repository will get everything,
and can build the binaries on their own.

Or do I miss something?

[1] See the contents of the module here:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=tree;f=commons-rng-build-tools;h=a126e20df3ed8921783b0ca4754e33f6ed6e9692;hb=refs/heads/RNG-30__sampling

> Cheers,
> Jörg
>

>> Regards,
>> Benedikt
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Gilles

Re: [ALL] How to "deploy" selectively (multi-module project)?

Stian Soiland-Reyes
I guess it's only relevant if you were to build a sub-module
independently from the source archive - if it is not deployed then you
would have to build commons-rng-build-tools locally first. Normally as
the rest of the module is deployed to Central it would work fine to
compile just a submodule.

I don't see a problem with commons-rng-build-tools being deployed as
long as we don't document it - we don't need to support API
compatibility here.  If you want to make sure, perhaps they could be
made a test jar?

On 17 November 2016 at 10:58, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:30:16 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>>
>> Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Gilles,
>>>
>>> Gilles <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 17. Nov. 2016 um
>>> 00:38 Uhr:

>>> Does http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html do the
>>> trick for you?
>>

>> However, if the build tools are required (i.e. referenced) to build the
>> other components, you probably will have to release the build tools also.
>

> You mentioned that earlier, but I don't understand why it should
> be released.
> It's the build process that needs this module being built (first).
> It only contains various reporting tools' config files; no Java
> source.[1]
>
> Developers who check out from the repository will get everything,
> and can build the binaries on their own.
>
> Or do I miss something?

> [1] See the contents of the module here:
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=tree;f=commons-rng-build-tools;h=a126e20df3ed8921783b0ca4754e33f6ed6e9692;hb=refs/heads/RNG-30__sampling
>

>> Cheers,
>> Jörg
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Benedikt

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:38:50 +0000, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
> I guess it's only relevant if you were to build a sub-module
> independently from the source archive - if it is not deployed then
> you
> would have to build commons-rng-build-tools locally first.

This is easily done anyway, with "mvn install".

> Normally as
> the rest of the module is deployed to Central it would work fine to
> compile just a submodule.
>
> I don't see a problem with commons-rng-build-tools being deployed

But why deploy this "module" if we can avoid it?

It contains configuration files that only impact the web site
generation (reports), so that changing the web site would entail
changing the version of that module... :-(

> as
> long as we don't document it - we don't need to support API
> compatibility here.  If you want to make sure, perhaps they could be
> made a test jar?

IIUC, Artem made this module to simplify the other modules' POM.
If in exchange, we have to create an additional JAR, it rather
complicates the build (if just by the questions being raised).