[ALL] Why does Javadoc take so long?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ALL] Why does Javadoc take so long?

sebb-2-2
I've been testing the NET build, and find that the javadoc phases take
ages - 5 or 6 minutes each for main and test.

Is this normal, or is there something I can do to speed it up?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ALL] Why does Javadoc take so long?

Adrian Crum
I usually change the Java source code to a small italic font so the
parsing will go faster.

-Adrian

On 11/11/2010 3:09 PM, sebb wrote:

> I've been testing the NET build, and find that the javadoc phases take
> ages - 5 or 6 minutes each for main and test.
>
> Is this normal, or is there something I can do to speed it up?
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ALL] Why does Javadoc take so long?

sebb-2-2
I think I've discovered the cause.

Commons Javadoc uses the URL defined in Commons Parent POM:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/

Using JMeter to download this URL takes at least 200 seconds (if it
even responds) merely to return a redirect to

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/

The redirect takes so long that I get the following error message when
executing mvn javadoc:javadoc
[ERROR] Error fetching link:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/package-list. Ignored it.

No wonder javadoc is so slow - 6 minutes 40 seconds(sun) as opposed to
23 seconds (oracle).

Unfortunately AFAICT one cannot override the <link> property (defined
in commons-parent) on the command-line, nor in settings.xml.
So we need to update commons-parent ASAP.

Note: occaisionally the response is a lot quicker; dunno why that is.

On 11 November 2010 23:18, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I usually change the Java source code to a small italic font so the parsing
> will go faster.
>
> -Adrian
>
> On 11/11/2010 3:09 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> I've been testing the NET build, and find that the javadoc phases take
>> ages - 5 or 6 minutes each for main and test.
>>
>> Is this normal, or is there something I can do to speed it up?
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ALL] Why does Javadoc take so long?

Steve Siebert
Looks like this is already fixed in the trunk...

Steve

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I've discovered the cause.
>
> Commons Javadoc uses the URL defined in Commons Parent POM:
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/
>
> Using JMeter to download this URL takes at least 200 seconds (if it
> even responds) merely to return a redirect to
>
> http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/
>
> The redirect takes so long that I get the following error message when
> executing mvn javadoc:javadoc
> [ERROR] Error fetching link:
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/package-list. Ignored it.
>
> No wonder javadoc is so slow - 6 minutes 40 seconds(sun) as opposed to
> 23 seconds (oracle).
>
> Unfortunately AFAICT one cannot override the <link> property (defined
> in commons-parent) on the command-line, nor in settings.xml.
> So we need to update commons-parent ASAP.
>
> Note: occaisionally the response is a lot quicker; dunno why that is.
>
> On 11 November 2010 23:18, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I usually change the Java source code to a small italic font so the
> parsing
> > will go faster.
> >
> > -Adrian
> >
> > On 11/11/2010 3:09 PM, sebb wrote:
> >>
> >> I've been testing the NET build, and find that the javadoc phases take
> >> ages - 5 or 6 minutes each for main and test.
> >>
> >> Is this normal, or is there something I can do to speed it up?
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >>
> >>
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>