[ANN] Apache Commons Compress 1.17 Released

[ANN] Apache Commons Compress 1.17 Released

Stefan Bodewig

The Apache Commons Team is pleased to announce the release of Apache
Commons Compress 1.17.

Apache Commons Compress software defines an API for working with
compression and archive formats.  These include: bzip2, gzip, pack200,
lzma, xz, Snappy, traditional Unix Compress, DEFLATE, DEFLATE64, LZ4,
Brotli, Zstandard and ar, cpio, jar, tar, zip, dump, 7z, arj.

As usual this release is a mix of bug fixes and new features. It
introduces a new interface InputStreamStatistics that can be used to
monitor decompression progress which is implemented by most of the
compressor and some of the archiving input streams.

Source and binary distributions are available for download from the
Apache Commons download site:

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/download_compress.cgi

When downloading, please verify signatures using the KEYS file available
at the above location when downloading the release.

Changes in this version include:

New features:
o Added a unit test that is supposed to fail if we break the
  OSGi manifest entries again.
  Issue: COMPRESS-443.
o Add a new SkipShieldingInputStream class that can be used with
  streams that throw an IOException when skip is invoked.
  Issue: COMPRESS-449.
o New constructors have been added to SevenZFile that accept
  char[]s rather than byte[]s in order to avoid a common error
  of using the wrong encoding when creating the byte[].  This
  change may break source compatibility for client code that
  uses one of the constructors expecting a password and passes
  in null as password. We recommend to change the code to use a
  constructor without password argument.
  Issue: COMPRESS-452.

Fixed Bugs:
o Removed the objenesis dependency from the pom as it is not
  needed at all.
o Fixed resource leak in ParallelScatterZipCreator#writeTo.
  Issue: COMPRESS-446.
o Certain errors when parsing ZIP extra fields in corrupt
  archives are now turned into ZipException, they used to
  manifest as ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException before.
  Issue: COMPRESS-447.
o IOUtils.copy now verifies the buffer size is bigger than 0.
  Issue: COMPRESS-451.
o ZipArchiveInputStream failed to read some files with stored
  entries using a data descriptor.
  Issue: COMPRESS-454.

Changes:
o Fixed some code examples.
  Github Pull Request #63.
  Thanks to Marchenko Sergey.
o The streams returned by ZipFile and most other decompressing
  streams now provide information about the number of compressed
  and uncompressed bytes read so far. This may be used to detect
  a ZipBomb if the compression ratio exceeds a certain
  threshold, for example.
  For SevenZFile a new method returns the statistics for the
  current entry.
  Issue: COMPRESS-445.
  Thanks to Andreas Beeker.
o Added a workaround for a bug in AdoptOpenJDK for S/390 to
  BZip2CompressorInputStream.
  Issue: COMPRESS-453.

For complete information on Commons Compress, including instructions
on how to submit bug reports, patches, or suggestions for improvement,
see the Apache Commons Compress website:

http://commons.apache.org/compress/

Stefan Bodewig, on behalf of the Apache Commons community

Re: [ANN] Apache Commons Compress 1.17 Released

Scott Langley
Hello.

Have you decided whether you will now switch development to the 2.0 branch
or otherwise begin accepting Java 8 code in order to take advantage of new
language features?

Thanks.

Scott Langley

Re: [ANN] Apache Commons Compress 1.17 Released

Matt Sicker
There's no need to switch to 2.0 just to upgrade Java. A 2.0 branch would
only be relevant for API changes.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANN] Apache Commons Compress 1.17 Released

garydgregory
+1 to Java 8

Gary

On 2018-06-05, Scott Langley wrote:

> Have you decided whether you will now switch development to the 2.0 branch

The branch has basically been me tossing ideas around but it has never
gotten any traction inside the dev team.

> or otherwise begin accepting Java 8 code in order to take advantage of new
> language features?

As others have said, we could do so in 1.x as well, if we really wanted
to. We've gone from Java5 to Java7 in several 1.x releases.

Right now I'm not sure whether a move to Java8 would alienate any
existing users. Also, I'm not sure we'd benefit from Java8 much without
changing the API.

Stefan

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 1:33 AM, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-06-05, Scott Langley wrote:
>
> > Have you decided whether you will now switch development to the 2.0
> branch
>
> The branch has basically been me tossing ideas around but it has never
> gotten any traction inside the dev team.
>
> > or otherwise begin accepting Java 8 code in order to take advantage of
> new
> > language features?
>
> As others have said, we could do so in 1.x as well, if we really wanted
> to. We've gone from Java5 to Java7 in several 1.x releases.
>
> Right now I'm not sure whether a move to Java8 would alienate any
> existing users. Also, I'm not sure we'd benefit from Java8 much without
> changing the API.
>
> Stefan

That makes sense to me.

Another thought I have - which probably applies to any open source project
- is that if the project is generally feature complete and stable, there is
little to be gained from upgrading a required SDK.  If the project is young
and still-developing, then upgrading to a newer SDK in main stream use
makes it more amenable to contributions from the wider developer community.

Scott