[ANN] Apache Commons IO 2.5 Released

Benson Margulies-2
Commons IO is a Java library of utilities to assist with developing IO
functionality.

Release notes for version 2.5 are at
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/upgradeto2_5.html.

Re: [ANN] Apache Commons IO 2.5 Released

sebb-2-2
The announce message should not be sent until a day or so after the
artifacts have been published in order to give time for the mirrors to
catch up.

At that point the site can be updated, the announce sent, and older
versions removed.

Otherwise some users will get 404s

This should be explained in the release docs.

On 22 April 2016 at 02:08, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Commons IO is a Java library of utilities to assist with developing IO
> functionality.
>
> Release notes for version 2.5 are at
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/upgradeto2_5.html.

Re: [ANN] Apache Commons IO 2.5 Released

Benson Margulies
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:34 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The announce message should not be sent until a day or so after the
> artifacts have been published in order to give time for the mirrors to
> catch up.
>
> At that point the site can be updated, the announce sent, and older
> versions removed.
>
> Otherwise some users will get 404s

Sebb, I'm honestly not sure it matters. I've RMed many, many, releases
of Maven components, I've always sent the announcement out as soon as
I could verify the content on the web site and Maven central, and I've
never seen a complaint about a 404.

My suspicion is that nearly no one bothers to download from the
mirrors, compared to the people who just update their poms or
ivy.xml's or whatever.

Maybe the users of commons are different.

Anyway, if you can help me find out why the new javadoc refuses to
show up, I'd be grateful.

--benson

> This should be explained in the release docs.
>

> On 22 April 2016 at 02:08, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Commons IO is a Java library of utilities to assist with developing IO
>> functionality.
>>
>> Release notes for version 2.5 are at
>> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/upgradeto2_5.html.

Re: [ANN] Apache Commons IO 2.5 Released

garydgregory
It's not on Central yet for example:
http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22commons-io%22%20AND%20a%3A%22commons-io%22

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:34 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The announce message should not be sent until a day or so after the
> > artifacts have been published in order to give time for the mirrors to
> > catch up.
> >
> > At that point the site can be updated, the announce sent, and older
> > versions removed.
> >
> > Otherwise some users will get 404s
>

> Sebb, I'm honestly not sure it matters. I've RMed many, many, releases
> of Maven components, I've always sent the announcement out as soon as
> I could verify the content on the web site and Maven central, and I've
> never seen a complaint about a 404.
>
> My suspicion is that nearly no one bothers to download from the
> mirrors, compared to the people who just update their poms or
> ivy.xml's or whatever.
>
> Maybe the users of commons are different.
>
> Anyway, if you can help me find out why the new javadoc refuses to
> show up, I'd be grateful.
>
> --benson
>

> > This should be explained in the release docs.
> >

> > On 22 April 2016 at 02:08, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> Commons IO is a Java library of utilities to assist with developing IO
> >> functionality.
> >>
> >> Release notes for version 2.5 are at
> >> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/upgradeto2_5.html.

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [ANN] Apache Commons IO 2.5 Released

Benson Margulies
I thought I saw it. I guess I was wrong. I wonder what's taking so long?

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not on Central yet for example:
> http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22commons-io%22%20AND%20a%3A%22commons-io%22

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:34 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > The announce message should not be sent until a day or so after the
>> > artifacts have been published in order to give time for the mirrors to
>> > catch up.
>> >
>> > At that point the site can be updated, the announce sent, and older
>> > versions removed.
>> >
>> > Otherwise some users will get 404s
>>

>> Sebb, I'm honestly not sure it matters. I've RMed many, many, releases
>> of Maven components, I've always sent the announcement out as soon as
>> I could verify the content on the web site and Maven central, and I've
>> never seen a complaint about a 404.
>>
>> My suspicion is that nearly no one bothers to download from the
>> mirrors, compared to the people who just update their poms or
>> ivy.xml's or whatever.
>>
>> Maybe the users of commons are different.
>>
>> Anyway, if you can help me find out why the new javadoc refuses to
>> show up, I'd be grateful.
>>
>> --benson
>>

>> > This should be explained in the release docs.

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [ANN] Apache Commons IO 2.5 Released

Kristian Rosenvold
Looks like something is amiss with the central sync, the artifacts are at
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/public/commons-io/commons-io/

You probably need to file an issue with mvncentral.

While you're at that, you can request in the same issue that all of the
"commons" artifacts be set at the new and improved central-synch schedule,
which reduces the classic 4 hour delay to just a few minutes.

Kristian

> I thought I saw it. I guess I was wrong. I wonder what's taking so long?
>
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > It's not on Central yet for example:
> >
> http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22commons-io%22%20AND%20a%3A%22commons-io%22

> > On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:

> >> Sebb, I'm honestly not sure it matters. I've RMed many, many, releases
> >> of Maven components, I've always sent the announcement out as soon as
> >> I could verify the content on the web site and Maven central, and I've
> >> never seen a complaint about a 404.
> >>
> >> My suspicion is that nearly no one bothers to download from the
> >> mirrors, compared to the people who just update their poms or
> >> ivy.xml's or whatever.
> >>
> >> Maybe the users of commons are different.
> >>
> >> Anyway, if you can help me find out why the new javadoc refuses to
> >> show up, I'd be grateful.
> >>
> >> --benson

> IO

> > --
> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> > Home: http://garygregory.com/

Re: [ANN] Apache Commons IO 2.5 Released

Benson Margulies
https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-1060

On 22 April 2016 at 12:29, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I thought I saw it. I guess I was wrong. I wonder what's taking so long?

Even when Central is working well, it can take several hours (up to a
day) to synch.

That is partly why the instructions say to wait.

22. apr. 2016 15.38 skrev "sebb" <[hidden email]>:

> On 22 April 2016 at 12:29, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I thought I saw it. I guess I was wrong. I wonder what's taking so long?
>
> Even when Central is working well, it can take several hours (up to a
> day) to synch.
>
> That is partly why the instructions say to wait.

As can be seen from the issue, we should be on a 10 minute synch. There's
always room for the occasional hiccups, but it should be easy for the RM to
just check central.

Kristian

On 24 April 2016 at 20:02, Kristian Rosenvold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 22. apr. 2016 15.38 skrev "sebb" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 22 April 2016 at 12:29, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I thought I saw it. I guess I was wrong. I wonder what's taking so long?
>>
>> Even when Central is working well, it can take several hours (up to a
>> day) to synch.
>>
>> That is partly why the instructions say to wait.
>>

> As can be seen from the issue, we should be on a 10 minute synch. There's
> always room for the occasional hiccups, but it should be easy for the RM to
> just check central.

What's the rush?

Why not just wait a day and allow the mirrors to catch up as well?