About commons-net and GSoC

Guillaume Nodet
It has been brought to my attention that there is a proposal for GSoC
about SSH/SCP support in commons-net.
I just want to point people towards the SSHD subproject in Mina which
already implements SSH client and server support, along with SCP
support on the server side.
It may be interesting to reuse / enhance that instead of rewriting it
from scratch ...
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/sshd/trunk/

Guillaume Nodet

Re: About commons-net and GSoC

Rory Winston
I've had a look at this - this is just an existing SSH implementation
wrapper, which is not really what I had in mind. Thanks for the heads up
though.

Cheers

Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> It has been brought to my attention that there is a proposal for GSoC
> about SSH/SCP support in commons-net.
> I just want to point people towards the SSHD subproject in Mina which
> already implements SSH client and server support, along with SCP
> support on the server side.
> It may be interesting to reuse / enhance that instead of rewriting it
> from scratch ...
>     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/sshd/trunk/

Re: About commons-net and GSoC

Guillaume Nodet
This is not a wrapper.  It's a plain SSH server and client
implementation based on NIO (using MINA) ...
Anyway, if you are looking for something different, that's no big deal ...

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 00:56, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've had a look at this - this is just an existing SSH implementation
> wrapper, which is not really what I had in mind. Thanks for the heads up
> though.
>
> Cheers
>
> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> It has been brought to my attention that there is a proposal for GSoC
>> about SSH/SCP support in commons-net.
>> I just want to point people towards the SSHD subproject in Mina which
>> already implements SSH client and server support, along with SCP
>> support on the server side.
>> It may be interesting to reuse / enhance that instead of rewriting it
>> from scratch ...
>>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/sshd/trunk/

Guillaume Nodet

Re: About commons-net and GSoC

Rory Winston
Guillaume

You're right - apologies, I just had a quick look at it and assumed it
was along the same lines as another SSH client framework that someone
suggested earlier (which itself was just a wrapper). I also noticed
mina-sshd has jsch in its dependency list - I wonder why it needs it if
it is a reimplementation? Anyways, thanks, this is useful.

Best

Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> This is not a wrapper.  It's a plain SSH server and client
> implementation based on NIO (using MINA) ...
> Anyway, if you are looking for something different, that's no big deal ...
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 00:56, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've had a look at this - this is just an existing SSH implementation
>> wrapper, which is not really what I had in mind. Thanks for the heads up
>> though.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> It has been brought to my attention that there is a proposal for GSoC
>>> about SSH/SCP support in commons-net.
>>> I just want to point people towards the SSHD subproject in Mina which
>>> already implements SSH client and server support, along with SCP
>>> support on the server side.
>>> It may be interesting to reuse / enhance that instead of rewriting it
>>> from scratch ...
>>>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/sshd/trunk/

Re: About commons-net and GSoC

Guillaume Nodet
The dependency is at scope test AFAIK and it's only used to do some
testing on the SSH server implementation.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 09:40, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guillaume
>
> You're right - apologies, I just had a quick look at it and assumed it was
> along the same lines as another SSH client framework that someone suggested
> earlier (which itself was just a wrapper). I also noticed mina-sshd has jsch
> in its dependency list - I wonder why it needs it if it is a
> reimplementation? Anyways, thanks, this is useful.
>
> Best
>
> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> This is not a wrapper.  It's a plain SSH server and client
>> implementation based on NIO (using MINA) ...
>> Anyway, if you are looking for something different, that's no big deal ...
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 00:56, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I've had a look at this - this is just an existing SSH implementation
>>> wrapper, which is not really what I had in mind. Thanks for the heads up
>>> though.
>>>
>>> Cheers

Guillaume Nodet

Re: About commons-net and GSoC

Sergey Vladimirov
Guys,

stupid question

So...why do we need a new, 4-th (3-rd BSD-style) full SSH implementation? :)

--
Sergey

Sergey Vladimirov

Re: About commons-net and GSoC

Guillaume Nodet
If you're talking about the Mina Sshd project, the primay goal was to
have an ASL friendly SSH server in Java wich I haven't found before
beginning this project.  The client part came later came naturally
later because a lot of code is shared. But there' still a lot to do on
this project (client key authentication has not been developed yet for
example, or the SCP client).  Integrating it with commons-vfs could be
a good idea too...

On 04/04/2009, Sergey Vladimirov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> stupid question
>
> So...why do we need a new, 4-th (3-rd BSD-style) full SSH implementation? :)
>
> --
> Sergey
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The dependency is at scope test AFAIK and it's only used to do some
>> testing on the SSH server implementation.
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 09:40, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Guillaume
>> >
>> > You're right - apologies, I just had a quick look at it and assumed it
>> was
>> > along the same lines as another SSH client framework that someone
>> suggested
>> > earlier (which itself was just a wrapper). I also noticed mina-sshd has
>> jsch
>> > in its dependency list - I wonder why it needs it if it is a
>> > reimplementation? Anyways, thanks, this is useful.
>> >
>> > Best

>> up

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet

> Sergey Vladimirov

Guillaume Nodet

Re: About commons-net and GSoC

Rory Winston
Sergey

The goal for this implementation is to add ssh/scp/sftp support to
commons-net. I originally looked at integrating an existing SSH client
implementation, but integration was not straightforward.. The Mina SSH
implementation
looks like a better implementation in terms of code quality and design.
It's possible that we may be able to help out both projects in the
course of an integration, if that's how we choose to proceed.