[All] GSoC news?

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

Should we worry that there is no email traffic about
the GSoC proposals?

Re: [All] GSoC news?

Mark Thomas
On 03/05/18 12:41, Gilles wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Should we worry that there is no email traffic about
> the GSoC proposals?

Did we have any GSoC proposals? Were any accepted? I recall one mentor
request from Commons and I don't see that mentor listed as requesting to
mentor a proposal in the (internal only) master spreadsheet.

Mark

Re: [All] GSoC news?

Gilles Sadowski
On Thu, 3 May 2018 12:59:04 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 03/05/18 12:41, Gilles wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Should we worry that there is no email traffic about
>> the GSoC proposals?
>
> Did we have any GSoC proposals?

Yes.[1]

> Were any accepted?

By whom?

I have no idea about the formal process but understood (perhaps
wrongly) that Apache as a whole had been accepted and that it
was up to the "student" to connect with the relevant projects.
That much seemed to have happened a few weeks ago.[2][3]

> I recall one mentor
> request from Commons and I don't see that mentor listed as requesting
> mentor a proposal in the (internal only) master spreadsheet.

Where is that spreadsheet?

Gilles

> Mark

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20gsoc2018
[2] https://markmail.org/message/bgw5xdzz24cdsssv
[3] https://markmail.org/message/xnfaszgrkutd4mfe

Re: [All] GSoC news?

Mark Thomas
On 03/05/18 13:15, Gilles wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2018 12:59:04 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 03/05/18 12:41, Gilles wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Should we worry that there is no email traffic about
>>> the GSoC proposals?
>>
>> Did we have any GSoC proposals?
>
> Yes.[1]

No. Those are not proposals. Those are ideas / suggestions. A proposal
is something that a student formally submits, via Google, for the ASF to
consideration.

>> Were any accepted?
>
> By whom?

ASF and Google.

> I have no idea about the formal process but understood (perhaps
> wrongly) that Apache as a whole had been accepted and that it
> was up to the "student" to connect with the relevant projects.
> That much seemed to have happened a few weeks ago.[2][3]

There is rather more to it than that. I suggest you read up on GSoC at
the ASF. Start here:
https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
I recommend you read all the linked pages but especially this one:
https://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

>> I recall one mentor
>> request from Commons and I don't see that mentor listed as requesting to
>> mentor a proposal in the (internal only) master spreadsheet.
>
> Where is that spreadsheet?

Access details are on the private [hidden email] list to
which all prospective ASF GSoC mentors are required to subscribe. The
link was sent out several times including 9th April.

On Thu, 3 May 2018 13:56:06 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 03/05/18 13:15, Gilles wrote:

>>> Did we have any GSoC proposals?
>>
>> Yes.[1]
>
> No. Those are not proposals. Those are ideas / suggestions. A
> proposal
> is something that a student formally submits, via Google, for the ASF
> consideration.

Such proposals ("Google docs") were submitted to this ML.
I made comments.

Unfortunately, there seemed to have been a misunderstanding
about the process.
At some point, I assumed that one official mentor for "Commons"
(as "the" project) was fine; and that would have been Stian
(AFAICT), assuming (and mentioning it in a post IIRC) that the
community members here would help as they usually do (review,
comment, commit, ...).

>>> Were any accepted?
>>
>> By whom?
>
> ASF and Google.

That wasn't at all clear: In exchanges which we've had here,
the milestones were
  1. Submit tasks with label "gsoc2018"
  2. Apache was accepted
  3. Students provided a plan and timetable

Then ???

>> I have no idea about the formal process but understood (perhaps
>> wrongly) that Apache as a whole had been accepted and that it
>> was up to the "student" to connect with the relevant projects.
>> That much seemed to have happened a few weeks ago.[2][3]
>
> There is rather more to it than that. I suggest you read up on GSoC
> at
> the ASF. Start here:
> https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
> I recommend you read all the linked pages but especially this one:
> https://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

Page is badly out-of-date.

>>> I recall one mentor
>>> request from Commons and I don't see that mentor listed as
>>> requesting to
>>> mentor a proposal in the (internal only) master spreadsheet.
>>
>> Where is that spreadsheet?
>
> Access details are on the private [hidden email] list
> which all prospective ASF GSoC mentors are required to subscribe. The
> link was sent out several times including 9th April.

I guess it's too late now:
   https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

Too bad that no coordination could exist between those who were
willing to give time to the program and those who were aware of
the administrative side of it.

We receive tons of mostly useless email from JIRA.  One could have
been a reminder that a submitter of "gsoc2018"-labelled tasks *must*
register as an official mentor... :-/

Apologies to Gimhana and Greg for the misunderstanding! :-(

On 03/05/18 15:42, Gilles wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2018 13:56:06 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> Yes.[1]
>>
>> No. Those are not proposals. Those are ideas / suggestions. A proposal
>> is something that a student formally submits, via Google, for the ASF to
>> consideration.
>
> Such proposals ("Google docs") were submitted to this ML.
> I made comments.
>
> Unfortunately, there seemed to have been a misunderstanding
> about the process.
> At some point, I assumed that one official mentor for "Commons"
> (as "the" project) was fine; and that would have been Stian
> (AFAICT), assuming (and mentioning it in a post IIRC) that the
> community members here would help as they usually do (review,
> comment, commit, ...).

>>> By whom?
>>
>> ASF and Google.
>
> That wasn't at all clear: In exchanges which we've had here,
> the milestones were
>  1. Submit tasks with label "gsoc2018"
>  2. Apache was accepted
>  3. Students provided a plan and timetable
>
> Then ???

The process was explained, with links to more detailed information, in
the emails that went out to all the PMC mailing lists.

>>> I have no idea about the formal process but understood (perhaps
>>> wrongly) that Apache as a whole had been accepted and that it
>>> was up to the "student" to connect with the relevant projects.
>>> That much seemed to have happened a few weeks ago.[2][3]
>>
>> There is rather more to it than that. I suggest you read up on GSoC at
>> the ASF. Start here:
>> https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
>> I recommend you read all the linked pages but especially this one:
>> https://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
>
> Page is badly out-of-date.

The reference to Harmony is dated although the general point stands even
though Harmony has been in the attic for some time.

A couple of the links to Google needed updating. I've just done that.

The key information was fine though.

>>> Where is that spreadsheet?
>>
>> Access details are on the private [hidden email] list to
>> which all prospective ASF GSoC mentors are required to subscribe. The
>> link was sent out several times including 9th April.
>
> I guess it's too late now:
>   https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

It is.

> Too bad that no coordination could exist between those who were
> willing to give time to the program and those who were aware of
> the administrative side of it.
>
> We receive tons of mostly useless email from JIRA.  One could have
> been a reminder that a submitter of "gsoc2018"-labelled tasks *must*
> register as an official mentor... :-/

I saw at least two emails to the Commons private list reminding folks
that they needed to sign up to the relevant mailing lists or run the
risk of missing important information.

As far as I can tell, the only person that formally signed up as a
potential mentor from Commons was Adam Soroka.

Mark

> Apologies to Gimhana and Greg for the misunderstanding! :-(

>> Mark
>>
>>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20gsoc2018
>>> [2] https://markmail.org/message/bgw5xdzz24cdsssv
>>> [3] https://markmail.org/message/xnfaszgrkutd4mfe

Re: [All] GSoC news?

Gilles Sadowski

One of the benefits of team work and being part of a "community"
is that processes are supposedly more robust, even if not
everyone does the right thing all the time.  Or so I thought.

Gilles

On Thu, 3 May 2018 18:39:12 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I guess it's too late now:
>>   https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
>
> It is.
>
>> Too bad that no coordination could exist between those who were
>> willing to give time to the program and those who were aware of
>> the administrative side of it.
>>
>> We receive tons of mostly useless email from JIRA.  One could have
>> been a reminder that a submitter of "gsoc2018"-labelled tasks *must*
>> register as an official mentor... :-/
>
> I saw at least two emails to the Commons private list reminding folks
> that they needed to sign up to the relevant mailing lists or run the
> risk of missing important information.
>
> As far as I can tell, the only person that formally signed up as a
> potential mentor from Commons was Adam Soroka.
>
> Mark
>

>> Apologies to Gimhana and Greg for the misunderstanding! :-(

Gimhana Nadeeshan
Hi all,

Though I'm not having the GSoC recognition this year I would like to
contribute ASF at my best and I begin it from my proposed idea.
Hope you all will support me to achieve it.

Best Regards,
Gimhana.