[All] Jenkins nonsense (?)

Gilles Sadowski
Hello.

Does someone know why Jenkins reports a build as "Failed" while
the last line of the console output is:
---CUT---
Finished: SUCCESS
---CUT---

See e.g.

https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/job/Commons_RNG__Java8/50/console

Note that for the same code Jenkins reports success in another job:

https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/job/Commons_Rng/138/console

The only (intended) difference is "Java 8" vs "Java 6".

Re: [All] Jenkins nonsense (?)

Brent Worden-2
The last success in the build log indicates the last execution of Maven was
successful and not that the entire Jenkins build was successful.

Sprinkled throughout the build log are messages of the form 'Skipping
reporter since build result is FAILURE.'  The first such message appeared
shortly after the first occurrence of:
[CHECKSTYLE] Successfully parsed file
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/Commons_RNG__Java8/target/checkstyle-result.xml
of module Apache Commons RNG with 0 unique warnings and 0 duplicates.
java.io.EOFException
at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:392)
at
java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.readInt(ObjectInputStream.java:3139)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readInt(ObjectInputStream.java:1023)
at com.google.common.collect.Serialization.readCount(Serialization.java:50)
at com.google.common.collect.HashMultimap.readObject(HashMultimap.java:134)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor15682.invoke(Unknown Source)
[PMD] Skipping reporter since build result is FAILURE

So, the build if failing trying to either generate the checkstyle report or
generate the PMD report.  I say this because it is not clear from the
exception what Maven stage is actually running at the moment of failure.
Adding --debug to the Maven command might provide better insight into the
actual cause.

Brent

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 08:56:51 -0500, Brent Worden wrote:

> The last success in the build log indicates the last execution of
> Maven was
> successful and not that the entire Jenkins build was successful.
>
> Sprinkled throughout the build log are messages of the form 'Skipping
> reporter since build result is FAILURE.'  The first such message
> appeared
> shortly after the first occurrence of:
> [CHECKSTYLE] Successfully parsed file
>
> /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/Commons_RNG__Java8/target/checkstyle-result.xml
> of module Apache Commons RNG with 0 unique warnings and 0 duplicates.
> java.io.EOFException
> at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:392)
> at
>
> java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.readInt(ObjectInputStream.java:3139)
> at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readInt(ObjectInputStream.java:1023)
> at
> com.google.common.collect.Serialization.readCount(Serialization.java:50)
> at
> com.google.common.collect.HashMultimap.readObject(HashMultimap.java:134)
> at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor15682.invoke(Unknown Source)
> [PMD] Skipping reporter since build result is FAILURE
>
> So, the build if failing trying to either generate the checkstyle
> report or
> generate the PMD report.  I say this because it is not clear from the
> exception what Maven stage is actually running at the moment of
> failure.
> Adding --debug to the Maven command might provide better insight into
> the
> actual cause.

With "--debug" option:

https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/job/Commons_RNG__Java8/52/console