[All] Please don't commit while repos are moving

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[All] Please don't commit while repos are moving

jochen-2
Hi,

please don't commit to repositories, while they are moving to Git.
AFAIK, this currently covers [io], and [fileupload], but possibly
others as well.

We might interfer with Infra otherwise. And, as you possibly are
aware: They are understaffed, and slow, anyways.

Thanks,

Jochen


--
The next time you hear: "Don't reinvent the wheel!"

http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [All] Please don't commit while repos are moving

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hello Jochen,

Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 28. Juli 2016
um 11:06 Uhr:

> Hi,
>
> please don't commit to repositories, while they are moving to Git.
> AFAIK, this currently covers [io], and [fileupload], but possibly
> others as well.
>
> We might interfer with Infra otherwise. And, as you possibly are
> aware: They are understaffed, and slow, anyways.
>

Very good point. Sebb pointed out how to make SVN ready-only. I need to
figure that out to finalize the move of CSV to git, because the old source
tree in SVN has to be moved to a new location. I didn't have the time, but
when I find out how to do it, I'll come back to you.

Benedikt


>
> Thanks,
>
> Jochen
>
>
> --
> The next time you hear: "Don't reinvent the wheel!"
>
>
> http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [All] Please don't commit while repos are moving

jochen-2
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  because the old source tree in SVN has to be moved to a new location.

I failed to do that for fileupload and asked Sebb, and Stefan, to do
that for me, 5 minutes ago. (They did that for other components in the
past.)

Jochen



--
The next time you hear: "Don't reinvent the wheel!"

http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [All] Please don't commit while repos are moving

Stefan Bodewig
In reply to this post by Benedikt Ritter-4
On 2016-07-28, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Hello Jochen,

> Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 28. Juli 2016
> um 11:06 Uhr:

>> Hi,

>> please don't commit to repositories, while they are moving to Git.
>> AFAIK, this currently covers [io], and [fileupload], but possibly
>> others as well.

>> We might interfer with Infra otherwise. And, as you possibly are
>> aware: They are understaffed, and slow, anyways.

> Very good point. Sebb pointed out how to make SVN ready-only.

I'm pretty sure the infra team did that when we migrated compress and
the explicitly set it to read-write again so I could move the tree away
after the migration was finished.

> I need to figure that out to finalize the move of CSV to git, because
> the old source tree in SVN has to be moved to a new location. I didn't
> have the time, but when I find out how to do it, I'll come back to
> you.

I used svn cp with two URLs IIRC and then svn rm on my working copy as
you want to keep a pointer to the new location around.  If infra hasn't
even started the migration, you shouldn't be moving anything.


Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [All] Please don't commit while repos are moving

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi,

I have created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-12350 for
finalizing the migration of CSV. I've also asked INFRA whether they can
grant one of us the karma to do this on our own in the future.

Benedikt

Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 28. Juli 2016 um
12:31 Uhr:

> On 2016-07-28, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>
> > Hello Jochen,
>
> > Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 28. Juli
> 2016
> > um 11:06 Uhr:
>
> >> Hi,
>
> >> please don't commit to repositories, while they are moving to Git.
> >> AFAIK, this currently covers [io], and [fileupload], but possibly
> >> others as well.
>
> >> We might interfer with Infra otherwise. And, as you possibly are
> >> aware: They are understaffed, and slow, anyways.
>
> > Very good point. Sebb pointed out how to make SVN ready-only.
>
> I'm pretty sure the infra team did that when we migrated compress and
> the explicitly set it to read-write again so I could move the tree away
> after the migration was finished.
>
> > I need to figure that out to finalize the move of CSV to git, because
> > the old source tree in SVN has to be moved to a new location. I didn't
> > have the time, but when I find out how to do it, I'll come back to
> > you.
>
> I used svn cp with two URLs IIRC and then svn rm on my working copy as
> you want to keep a pointer to the new location around.  If infra hasn't
> even started the migration, you shouldn't be moving anything.
>
>
> Stefan
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [All] Please don't commit while repos are moving

jochen-2
On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have created
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-12350 for
> finalizing the migration of CSV. I've also asked INFRA whether they can
> grant one of us the karma to do this on our own in the future.

Well, according to the ticket, you can give it a go. If it works, and
while you are at it, could you do the same for fileupload. (Tried
yesterday, but didn't work for me.)

Thanks,

Jochen



--
The next time you hear: "Don't reinvent the wheel!"

http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [All] Please don't commit while repos are moving

garydgregory
In reply to this post by Benedikt Ritter-4
Don't commit even to git?

Gary

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:31 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-12350
> for
> finalizing the migration of CSV. I've also asked INFRA whether they can
> grant one of us the karma to do this on our own in the future.
>
> Benedikt
>
> Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 28. Juli 2016 um
> 12:31 Uhr:
>
> > On 2016-07-28, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Jochen,
> >
> > > Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 28. Juli
> > 2016
> > > um 11:06 Uhr:
> >
> > >> Hi,
> >
> > >> please don't commit to repositories, while they are moving to Git.
> > >> AFAIK, this currently covers [io], and [fileupload], but possibly
> > >> others as well.
> >
> > >> We might interfer with Infra otherwise. And, as you possibly are
> > >> aware: They are understaffed, and slow, anyways.
> >
> > > Very good point. Sebb pointed out how to make SVN ready-only.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure the infra team did that when we migrated compress and
> > the explicitly set it to read-write again so I could move the tree away
> > after the migration was finished.
> >
> > > I need to figure that out to finalize the move of CSV to git, because
> > > the old source tree in SVN has to be moved to a new location. I didn't
> > > have the time, but when I find out how to do it, I'll come back to
> > > you.
> >
> > I used svn cp with two URLs IIRC and then svn rm on my working copy as
> > you want to keep a pointer to the new location around.  If infra hasn't
> > even started the migration, you shouldn't be moving anything.
> >
> >
> > Stefan
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
>



--
E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
Spring Batch in Action <http://www.manning.com/templier/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [All] Please don't commit while repos are moving

jochen-2
On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 6:51 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't commit even to git?

That's a different story, of course. But doesn't really match the
"while moving" subject, does it?

Jochen


--
The next time you hear: "Don't reinvent the wheel!"

http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]