Anyone interested in regular expressions, again?

Re: Anyone interested in regular expressions, again?

Benson Margulies
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 2:39 AM, Thomas Neidhart
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/03/2015 01:46 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>> The irony here is that the Java HSRE port happened because it seemed
>> easier than an RE2 port. Note the same statements about API's pretty
>> much apply.
>
> I am sorry, my response was not very sensible wrt your original proposal.

It seems very sensible to me. A team at Google producing re2j is
likely to have produced a far superior comestible to what I did. If
there's any possibility that it will emerge in, oh, a month or two, I
don't think it makes sense to go to the trouble to pull the HSRE code
into Apache.

> If we have another implementation that works fine and has a sufficiently
> large enough community then I do not see a problem to include it in the
> commons project, I would certainly be interested.
>
> Thomas
>
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Thomas Neidhart
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> that would be super-cool.
>>>
>>> Thomas

Re: Anyone interested in regular expressions, again?

James Ring
I'm working to bring re2j into the open, it will take some time
because Google's internal procedures for this kind of thing are pretty
lengthy. I'm hopeful it could be done in the next month or so.

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:36 PM, James Ring <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm working to bring re2j into the open, it will take some time
> because Google's internal procedures for this kind of thing are pretty
> lengthy. I'm hopeful it could be done in the next month or so.

That is lovely news. Thanks!

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 2:39 AM, Thomas Neidhart
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am sorry, my response was not very sensible wrt your original proposal.
>>
>> It seems very sensible to me. A team at Google producing re2j is
>> likely to have produced a far superior comestible to what I did. If
>> there's any possibility that it will emerge in, oh, a month or two, I
>> don't think it makes sense to go to the trouble to pull the HSRE code
>> into Apache.
>>

>>> If we have another implementation that works fine and has a sufficiently
>>> large enough community then I do not see a problem to include it in the
>>> commons project, I would certainly be interested.
>>>
>>> Thomas

Re: Anyone interested in regular expressions, again?

James Ring
Hey Benson,

Just wanted to let you and the rest of the commons dev list that re2j
is now in the open: please see https://github.com/google/re2j. Please
take a look!

Regards,
James

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:36 PM, James Ring <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm working to bring re2j into the open, it will take some time
>> because Google's internal procedures for this kind of thing are pretty
>> lengthy. I'm hopeful it could be done in the next month or so.
>
> That is lovely news. Thanks!
>

>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It seems very sensible to me. A team at Google producing re2j is
>>> likely to have produced a far superior comestible to what I did. If
>>> there's any possibility that it will emerge in, oh, a month or two, I
>>> don't think it makes sense to go to the trouble to pull the HSRE code
>>> into Apache.

Re: Anyone interested in regular expressions, again?

Bruno P. Kinoshita
That's great news! Thanks James!
Bruno

Just wanted to let you and the rest of the commons dev list that re2j
is now in the open: please see https://github.com/google/re2j. Please
take a look!

Regards,
James

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:36 PM, James Ring <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm working to bring re2j into the open, it will take some time
>> because Google's internal procedures for this kind of thing are pretty
>> lengthy. I'm hopeful it could be done in the next month or so.
>
> That is lovely news. Thanks!
>

>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It seems very sensible to me. A team at Google producing re2j is
>>> likely to have produced a far superior comestible to what I did. If
>>> there's any possibility that it will emerge in, oh, a month or two, I
>>> don't think it makes sense to go to the trouble to pull the HSRE code
>>> into Apache.

Re: Anyone interested in regular expressions, again?

Benson Margulies
Thanks! I look forward to retiring mine!

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's great news! Thanks James!
> Bruno

Someone posted to Hacker News too. Here's the link to the comments there https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9070593