Apache Commons Report Due

garydgregory
I will send out our quarterly report later today or tomorrow.

Is there anything you'd like to see mentioned?

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

Matt Sicker
* The commons math evolution.
* Commons crypto 1.0

I don't think anything else too exciting has happened other than normal
releases.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

jochen-2
Commons FileUpload 1.3.3

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * The commons math evolution.
> * Commons crypto 1.0
>
> I don't think anything else too exciting has happened other than normal
> releases.
>
> On 10 September 2016 at 13:21, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I will send out our quarterly report later today or tomorrow.
>>
>> Is there anything you'd like to see mentioned?
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> --
>> E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> Home: http://garygregory.com/

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

garydgregory
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 5:18 AM, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Commons FileUpload 1.3.3

We have a bit of a mess here:

- Commons FileUpload-1.3.2 was released on Wed May 25 2016 and was recorded
in the _previous_ Commons report.
- The download area shows 1.3.2:
http://apache.mirrors.tds.net//commons/fileupload/
- The site shows 1.3.1 as the latest:
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-fileupload/download_fileupload.cgi

Jochen: Can you fix that please?

So there is no 1.3.3; 1.3.2 is the current version and Git master shows
1.4-SNAPSHOT.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

Is there anything specific you'd like noted WRT Commons Math and Commons
RNG?

Otherwise I'll keep it simple: The Commons community has decided to bring
forth and maintain a new component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons
Math code base, which is has seen no activity in the last quarter. The
future of Commons Math is still uncertain and being discussed from time to
time.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

Matt Sicker
That sounds like it sums it up to date.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

garydgregory
Here is what I plan to send:

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

Gilles Sadowski
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 12:51:30 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Here is what I plan to send:

?
[Or an empty report.]

Gilles

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> That sounds like it sums it up to date.
>>
>> On 11 September 2016 at 10:45, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there anything specific you'd like noted WRT Commons Math and
>> Commons
>> > RNG?
>> >
>> > Otherwise I'll keep it simple: The Commons community has decided
>> to bring
>> > forth and maintain a new component, Commons RNG, out of the larger
>> Commons
>> > Math code base, which is has seen no activity in the last quarter.
>> The
>> > future of Commons Math is still uncertain and being discussed from
>> time
>> > time.
>> >
>> > Gary

>> normal

>> <[hidden email]>

>> <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
>> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> > JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
>> > Spring Batch in Action <http://www.manning.com/templier/>
>> > Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> > Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> > Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory
>> >

>> --
>> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

garydgregory
Oops, here it is:

The Apache Commons project focuses on all aspects of reusable Java
components.

The Apache Commons components are widely used in many projects, both within
Apache and without. Any ASF committer can commit to Apache Commons.

The last report was on June 7 2016.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues that requires the boards attention this quarter.

## Activity:
 - The project is active with 4 releases this reporting period. One new
 component being is being readied for release (Commons RNG) and another
 component is still in limbo (Commons Math.) after having been forked.
 Commons RDF is slowly making its way through the incubator.

 - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a new
 component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base, which is
 has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons Math is
 still uncertain and being discussed from time to time.

## Health report:
 - Most components in Commons are mature, but are still actively
 maintained (4 releases). The dev list is active. JIRA is active. Speed of
 and Commons is still open to any Apache Committer.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 35 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was Stian Soiland-Reyes on Wed May 18 2016

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 142 committers.
 - New commmitters:
    - Artem Barger was added as a committer on Sun Aug 14 2016
    - Rob Tompkins was added as a committer on Mon Aug 22 2016
    - Eric Barnhill was added as a committer on Tue Sep 06 2016
    - Matt Sicker was added as a committer on Wed Jul 27 2016

## Releases:

 - BCEL-6.0 was released on Wed Jul 13 2016
 - COMPRESS 1.12 was released on Mon Jun 20 2016
 - CONFIGURATION-2.1 was released on Fri Aug 19 2016
 - CRYPTO-1.0.0 was released on Mon Aug 08 2016

## Mailing list activity:

 - The stats below show no significant change since last quarter.
 The dev list is active. Speed of responses to users is reasonable
 in most cases.

 - [hidden email]:
    - 680 subscribers (down -7 in the last 3 months):

 - [hidden email]:
    - 301 subscribers (down -1 in the last 3 months):

 - [hidden email]:

 - [hidden email]:

## JIRA activity:

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Apache Commons Report Due

sebb-2-2
On 13 September 2016 at 02:48, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oops, here it is:

> The Apache Commons project focuses on all aspects of reusable Java
> components.
>
> The Apache Commons components are widely used in many projects, both within
> Apache and without. Any ASF committer can commit to Apache Commons.
>
> The last report was on June 7 2016.
>
> ## Issues:
>  - There are no issues that requires the boards attention this quarter.
>
> ## Activity:
>  - The project is active with 4 releases this reporting period. One new
>  component being is being readied for release (Commons RNG) and another
>  component is still in limbo (Commons Math.) after having been forked.
>  Commons RDF is slowly making its way through the incubator.
>
>  - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a new
>  component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base, which is
>  has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons Math is
>  still uncertain and being discussed from time to time.
>
> ## Health report:
>  - Most components in Commons are mature, but are still actively
>  maintained (4 releases). The dev list is active. JIRA is active. Speed of
>  and Commons is still open to any Apache Committer.
>
> ## PMC changes:
>
>  - Currently 35 PMC members.
>  - No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
>  - Last PMC addition was Stian Soiland-Reyes on Wed May 18 2016
>
> ## Committer base changes:
>
>  - Currently 142 committers.
>  - New commmitters:
>     - Artem Barger was added as a committer on Sun Aug 14 2016
>     - Rob Tompkins was added as a committer on Mon Aug 22 2016
>     - Eric Barnhill was added as a committer on Tue Sep 06 2016
>     - Matt Sicker was added as a committer on Wed Jul 27 2016

However Commons uses universal commit, so this may exclude some contributors.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:44:01 +0100, sebb wrote:

> On 13 September 2016 at 02:48, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Oops, here it is:

>> The Apache Commons project focuses on all aspects of reusable Java
>> components.
>>
>> The Apache Commons components are widely used in many projects, both
>> within
>> Apache and without. Any ASF committer can commit to Apache Commons.
>>
>> The last report was on June 7 2016.
>>
>> ## Issues:
>>  - There are no issues that requires the boards attention this
>> quarter.
>>
>> ## Activity:
>>  - The project is active with 4 releases this reporting period. One
>> new
>>  component being is being readied for release (Commons RNG) and
>> another
>>  component is still in limbo (Commons Math.) after having been
>> forked.
>>  Commons RDF is slowly making its way through the incubator.
>>
>>  - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a
>> new
>>  component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base,
>> which is
>>  has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons
>> Math is
>>  still uncertain and being discussed from time to time.

I'd prefer that the report plainly states that there are several
proposals for fostering new communities in place of the dwindling
Commons Math one, but that those are in limbo because no consensus
can be reached.

>> ## Health report:
>>  - Most components in Commons are mature, but are still actively
>>  maintained (4 releases). The dev list is active. JIRA is active.
>> Speed of
>> committers,
>>  and Commons is still open to any Apache Committer.
>>
>> ## PMC changes:
>>
>>  - Currently 35 PMC members.
>>  - No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
>>  - Last PMC addition was Stian Soiland-Reyes on Wed May 18 2016
>>
>> ## Committer base changes:
>>
>>  - Currently 142 committers.
>>  - New commmitters:
>>     - Artem Barger was added as a committer on Sun Aug 14 2016
>>     - Rob Tompkins was added as a committer on Mon Aug 22 2016
>>     - Eric Barnhill was added as a committer on Tue Sep 06 2016
>>     - Matt Sicker was added as a committer on Wed Jul 27 2016
>
> However Commons uses universal commit, so this may exclude some
> contributors.

More significantly (IMHO) is that this single number is totally
useless (up to misleading) if it purports to represent project
activity.

Better have a histogram of "number of committers that did N commits
in the last 3 months".

Gilles