Apache's Maven repository missing commons-io, most versions

Apache's Maven repository missing commons-io, most versions

Russell Bateman
As I attempt to build, I find

https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-io/2.5/commons-io-2.5.jar

to yield a 404. When I go look there, only 1.3.2 exists and even that,
though there are JARs galore, has a /pom.xml/ that basically refers
Maven to Maven Central. Must I then put something into my /pom.xml/ that
deters Maven from ever looking for anything in /repo.maven.apache.org/?
It seems strange that Apache would offer a Maven repository that's
missing an important library (for me, at least). Until now, I haven't
had this experience with other Apache Commons libraries.

Please advise, thank you!

Russ

Re: Apache's Maven repository missing commons-io, most versions

sebb-2-2
Try

http://repo.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/

IO used to have a different group id.

On 30 March 2017 at 01:20, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try
>
> http://repo.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/
>
> IO used to have a different group id.

I mean, still has a different gid.

The entry under
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-io/1.3.2

is a relocation pom. Probably that version was accidentally released
with the wrong gid.

> On 30 March 2017 at 00:31, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As I attempt to build, I find
>>
>> https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-io/2.5/commons-io-2.5.jar
>>
>> to yield a 404. When I go look there, only 1.3.2 exists and even that,
>> though there are JARs galore, has a /pom.xml/ that basically refers Maven to
>> Maven Central. Must I then put something into my /pom.xml/ that deters Maven
>> from ever looking for anything in /repo.maven.apache.org/? It seems strange
>> that Apache would offer a Maven repository that's missing an important
>> library (for me, at least). Until now, I haven't had this experience with
>> other Apache Commons libraries.
>>
>> Please advise, thank you!
>>
>> Russ

Re: Apache's Maven repository missing commons-io, most versions

Russell Bateman
Sebb,

Thanks for responding, but I probably need some help here making your
suggestion(s) work. To begin with,

http://repo.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/

yields nothing in the browser or using curl:

~/Downloads $ curl http://repo.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: repo.maven.org

Do I need something special in /~/.m2/settings.xml/? (I don't have one.)
or in my /pom.xml/ file(s)? If it's only that the groupIdhas changed,
what is it? Can you give me a Maven replacement for what's at:

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-io/commons-io/2.5

I don't understand why this page exists since it clearly doesn't lead to
fulfilling my build's need for /commons-io-2.5.jar/. I use Maven a lot
and have for a long time, but I'm completely stumped by this issue.

Thanks.

On 30 March 2017 at 15:09, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sebb,
>
> Thanks for responding, but I probably need some help here making your
> suggestion(s) work. To begin with,
>
> http://repo.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/
>
> yields nothing in the browser or using curl:
>
> ~/Downloads $ curl http://repo.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/
> curl: (6) Could not resolve host: repo.maven.org

Sorry, that should be

http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/

or
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/
seems to work

But you should not need the URL if you are using Maven to build.

> Do I need something special in /~/.m2/settings.xml/? (I don't have one.) or
> in my /pom.xml/ file(s)?

<dependency>
    <groupId>commons-io</groupId>
    <artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
    <version>2.5</version>
</dependency>

> If it's only that the groupIdhas changed, what is
> it?

As above.
[It's not really changed - the one you mention at the start of this
thread is not currently used.]

> Can you give me a Maven replacement for what's at:
> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-io/commons-io/2.5
>
> I don't understand why this page exists since it clearly doesn't lead to
> fulfilling my build's need for /commons-io-2.5.jar/. I use Maven a lot and
> have for a long time, but I'm completely stumped by this issue.

You just need to include the correct dependency as above.

> Thanks.
>

> On 03/29/2017 06:24 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 30 March 2017 at 01:20, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Try
>>>
>>> http://repo.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/
>>>
>>> IO used to have a different group id.
>>
>> I mean, still has a different gid.
>>
>> The entry under
>> https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-io/1.3.2
>>
>> is a relocation pom. Probably that version was accidentally released
>> with the wrong gid.

Re: Apache's Maven repository missing commons-io, most versions

Dave Newton
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 10:27 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 March 2017 at 15:09, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> <dependency>
>     <groupId>commons-io</groupId>
>     <artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
>     <version>2.5</version>
> </dependency>
>
> > Can you give me a Maven replacement for what's at:
> > https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-io/commons-io/2.5
> >
> > I don't understand why this page exists since it clearly doesn't lead to
> > fulfilling my build's need for /commons-io-2.5.jar/. I use Maven a lot and
> > have for a long time, but I'm completely stumped by this issue.

This worked fine for me; I guess I'm not understanding the issue.

Dave

Re: Apache's Maven repository missing commons-io, most versions

Russell Bateman
Wow. I believe the problem is that I'm a blind idiot. I had been trying
to use:

     <dependency>
       <groupId>*org.apache.commons*</groupId>
       <artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
       <version>2.5</version>
     </dependency>

The groupIdwas wrong and I just wasn't seeing it. (In my defence, there
are some Apache groupIds that include "apache" in path elements, like
Apache /commons-csv/, I'm used to looking at.)

Many thanks to sebb for his patience.

On 03/30/2017 08:35 AM, Dave Newton wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 10:27 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 30 March 2017 at 15:09, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> <dependency>
>>      <groupId>commons-io</groupId>
>>      <artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
>>      <version>2.5</version>
>> </dependency>
>>
>>> Can you give me a Maven replacement for what's at:
>>> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-io/commons-io/2.5
>>>
>>> I don't understand why this page exists since it clearly doesn't lead to
>>> fulfilling my build's need for /commons-io-2.5.jar/. I use Maven a lot and
>>> have for a long time, but I'm completely stumped by this issue.
> This worked fine for me; I guess I'm not understanding the issue.
>
> Dave

Re: Apache's Maven repository missing commons-io, most versions

Matt Sicker
A lot of old artifacts uses the groupId == artifactId convention. I don't
know when that changed to using org.apache.foo as the groupId, but I'm
guessing it was sometime around the advent of Maven Central.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

On 30 March 2017 at 16:29, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A lot of old artifacts uses the groupId == artifactId convention. I don't
> know when that changed to using org.apache.foo as the groupId, but I'm
> guessing it was sometime around the advent of Maven Central.

Possibly.

Commons components are gradually moving from commons-abc to
org.apache.commons.abc.
However that can only be done if the Java package name is also changed.
As that is disruptive, it's only done when an API breakage is essential.

https://wiki.apache.org/commons/MavenAndClasspath

> On 30 March 2017 at 10:26, Russell Bateman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Wow. I believe the problem is that I'm a blind idiot. I had been trying to
>> use:
>>
>>     <dependency>
>>       <groupId>*org.apache.commons*</groupId>
>>       <artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
>>       <version>2.5</version>
>>     </dependency>
>>
>> The groupIdwas wrong and I just wasn't seeing it. (In my defence, there
>> are some Apache groupIds that include "apache" in path elements, like
>> Apache /commons-csv/, I'm used to looking at.)
>>
>> Many thanks to sebb for his patience.

>>> Dave

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Apache's Maven repository missing commons-io, most versions

Jörg Schaible
sebb wrote:

> On 30 March 2017 at 16:29, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A lot of old artifacts uses the groupId == artifactId convention. I don't
>> know when that changed to using org.apache.foo as the groupId, but I'm
>> guessing it was sometime around the advent of Maven Central.
>
> Possibly.
>
> Commons components are gradually moving from commons-abc to
> org.apache.commons.abc.
> However that can only be done if the Java package name is also changed.
> As that is disruptive, it's only done when an API breakage is essential.
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/commons/MavenAndClasspath

And for commons-io we had one wrongly published version (the one you were
referencing initially). After that we finalized the rule above.

Cheers,
Jörg