[BCEL] Trying a release?

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi guys,

several projects are waiting for a Java 8 compatible BCEL release and since
nobody else seems to have the time to do it, I'll have a look at it this
weekend. Please let me know if you see anything that needs fixing.

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

Benedikt Ritter-4
I've uploaded the current site of BCEL to my apache space:
http://people.apache.org/~britter/bcel-6.0-SNAPSHOT/

We have 12 clirr errors, because some methods have been added to the
org.apache.bcel.classfile.Visitor
interface. Since we already bumped the major version number vom 5 to 6,
since seems to be a good opportunity to change the groupId from
org.apache.bcel to org.apache.commons and the artifactId from bcel to
commons-bcel

WDYT?

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

Dave Brosius-2
+1

On 08/22/2014 02:54 AM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> I've uploaded the current site of BCEL to my apache space:
> http://people.apache.org/~britter/bcel-6.0-SNAPSHOT/
>
> We have 12 clirr errors, because some methods have been added to the
> org.apache.bcel.classfile.Visitor
> interface. Since we already bumped the major version number vom 5 to 6,
> since seems to be a good opportunity to change the groupId from
> org.apache.bcel to org.apache.commons and the artifactId from bcel to
> commons-bcel
>
> WDYT?
>
> Benedikt

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> several projects are waiting for a Java 8 compatible BCEL release and
>> since nobody else seems to have the time to do it, I'll have a look at it
>> this weekend. Please let me know if you see anything that needs fixing.
>>
>> Benedikt
>>
>> --
>> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>> http://github.com/britter

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 22/08/2014 08:54, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
> I've uploaded the current site of BCEL to my apache space:
> http://people.apache.org/~britter/bcel-6.0-SNAPSHOT/

Thank you Benedikt, I still volunteer to manage this release since I
have again a proper Internet connection. Everything is ready, the
artifacts just have to be generated and put to a vote.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

> Le 22/08/2014 08:54, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
> > I've uploaded the current site of BCEL to my apache space:
> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/bcel-6.0-SNAPSHOT/
>
> Thank you Benedikt, I still volunteer to manage this release since I
> have again a proper Internet connection. Everything is ready, the
> artifacts just have to be generated and put to a vote.

Hi Emmanuel,

if you want to step in, I'm fine with that. You know the code base far
better than I do.
How do you feel about the breaking changes and the maven coords change?

Benedikt

> Emmanuel Bourg

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 22/08/2014 09:55, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :

> How do you feel about the breaking changes and the maven coords change?

The impact of these changes is actually minor, the interfaces have so
many methods they are never implemented directly, the empty
implementations are always used instead. I have rebuilt several projects
depending on BCEL with the version 6.0 and they all worked fine.

So the Maven coordinates can remain as is.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

> Le 22/08/2014 09:55, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
>
> > How do you feel about the breaking changes and the maven coords change?
>
> The impact of these changes is actually minor, the interfaces have so
> many methods they are never implemented directly, the empty
> implementations are always used instead. I have rebuilt several projects
> depending on BCEL with the version 6.0 and they all worked fine.
>
> So the Maven coordinates can remain as is.

Okay... TBH, I don't like that BCEL is treated special. Looks like a
different versioning schema to me. Also other groupId and artifactId. But
if you RM, it's your decision :-) I won't block a release because of this
if BCEL was always released like this.

Go for it!

Benedikt

> Emmanuel Bourg

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

Stefan Bodewig
On 2014-08-22, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Okay... TBH, I don't like that BCEL is treated special. Looks like a
> different versioning schema to me. Also other groupId and artifactId. But
> if you RM, it's your decision :-) I won't block a release because of this
> if BCEL was always released like this.

BCEL used to be a Jakarta Projects of its own rather than a Commons
component, hence the historically different coordinates.

If BCEL6 can be used as a drop in replacement, then not changing the
coordinates might be a good idea (but begs the question of why it has a
new major version).  Gump says current BCEL trunk works for Xalan and
Ant - at least to the extent their builds are using it.

Stefan

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

I do not think we should change the maven coordinates if the package name does not change. Sebb, can you clarify?

Gary

Le 22/08/2014 12:12, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :

> If BCEL6 can be used as a drop in replacement, then not changing the
> coordinates might be a good idea (but begs the question of why it has a
> new major version).

I asked about the next version number back in April and the consensus
was that a major version change better reflected the amount of changes
since the last release.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

Dave Brosius-2
I think the driving thing is that it is bumped up to jdk1.5 from 1.4

On 08/25/2014 05:08 PM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Le 22/08/2014 12:12, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
>
>> If BCEL6 can be used as a drop in replacement, then not changing the
>> coordinates might be a good idea (but begs the question of why it has a
>> new major version).
> I asked about the next version number back in April and the consensus
> was that a major version change better reflected the amount of changes
> since the last release.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

garydgregory
Hm... did we discuss going to Java 6 or 7. 5 is pretty dead.

Gary

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the driving thing is that it is bumped up to jdk1.5 from 1.4
>

> On 08/25/2014 05:08 PM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>
>> Le 22/08/2014 12:12, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
>>
>>  If BCEL6 can be used as a drop in replacement, then not changing the
>>> coordinates might be a good idea (but begs the question of why it has a
>>> new major version).
>>>
>> I asked about the next version number back in April and the consensus
>> was that a major version change better reflected the amount of changes
>> since the last release.
>>
>> Emmanuel Bourg

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [BCEL] Trying a release?

dbrosIus
No but fine by me

Home: http://garygregory.com/

On 22 August 2014 11:51, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do not think we should change the maven coordinates if the package name does not change.

Agreed.

> Sebb, can you clarify?

Maven identifies the code by means of the Maven coordinates; it does
not look at package names.
Java identifies classes by means of the package name.

There must be a 1-1 mapping between the two, otherwise classpath
issues can result for Maven projects.

i.e. if the package is changed, the coords must be changed and vice-versa.