[BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

@author tags are no longer used, because authors are documented in pom.xml.
I don't know the history of BeanUtils so I'm asking if there are any
arguments against moving authors from source code files to pom.xml.
I will wait for 72 hours before I create a JIRA issue for this change.

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

Luc Maisonobe
Le 03/03/2013 11:43, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
> Hi,

Hi Benedikt,

> @author tags are no longer used, because authors are documented in pom.xml.
> I don't know the history of BeanUtils so I'm asking if there are any
> arguments against moving authors from source code files to pom.xml.
> I will wait for 72 hours before I create a JIRA issue for this change.

In fact, at commons we prefer to avoid @author tags and credit authors
in the pom file. So what you propose is exactly the policy we apply in
several components.

Luc

> Regards,
> Benedikt

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

James Carman
Some would argue that the svn logs are a better indicator of the "authors"
of the code :)

On Sunday, March 3, 2013, Luc Maisonobe wrote:

> Le 03/03/2013 11:43, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Benedikt,
>

> > @author tags are no longer used, because authors are documented in
> pom.xml.
> > I don't know the history of BeanUtils so I'm asking if there are any
> > arguments against moving authors from source code files to pom.xml.
> > I will wait for 72 hours before I create a JIRA issue for this change.
>
> In fact, at commons we prefer to avoid @author tags and credit authors
> in the pom file. So what you propose is exactly the policy we apply in
> several components.
>
> Luc
>

> > Regards,
> > Benedikt

> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]<javascript:;>

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

Niall Pemberton
On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> @author tags are no longer used, because authors are documented in pom.xml.
> I don't know the history of BeanUtils so I'm asking if there are any
> arguments against moving authors from source code files to pom.xml.
> I will wait for 72 hours before I create a JIRA issue for this change.

I believe I removed any of my @author tags a couple of years ago - but
if I missed any, feel free to remove. Craig McClanahan is author on
alot of BeanUtils - he hasn't been around in a long time, but I would
take the following post he wrote regarding pool that he doesn't mind
them being removed:
    http://markmail.org/message/7ttwf56tfy4jbexs

In case you're interested, the lastest discussion I could find on this is here:
    http://markmail.org/message/ldexerq46xvwxdkh

Niall

> Regards,
> Benedikt
>

> --
> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi

FYI it seems @author is discouraged:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-jmeter-dev/200402.mbox/%3C4039F65E.7020406@...%3E
Le 5 mars 2013 22:46, "Niall Pemberton" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > @author tags are no longer used, because authors are documented in
> pom.xml.
> > I don't know the history of BeanUtils so I'm asking if there are any
> > arguments against moving authors from source code files to pom.xml.
> > I will wait for 72 hours before I create a JIRA issue for this change.
>
> I believe I removed any of my @author tags a couple of years ago - but
> if I missed any, feel free to remove. Craig McClanahan is author on
> alot of BeanUtils - he hasn't been around in a long time, but I would
> take the following post he wrote regarding pool that he doesn't mind
> them being removed:
>     http://markmail.org/message/7ttwf56tfy4jbexs
>
> In case you're interested, the lastest discussion I could find on this is
> here:
>     http://markmail.org/message/ldexerq46xvwxdkh
>
> Niall
>
> > Regards,
> > Benedikt
> >

> > --
> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> > http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

Benedikt Ritter-4
Thanks for your comments. I have create BEANUTILS-431 [1]. Since Craig
McClanahan doesn't seem to follow the ML I will contact him directly to be
sure he is okay with this change.

Benedikt

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-431

2013/3/5 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>

> Hi
>
> FYI it seems @author is discouraged:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-jmeter-dev/200402.mbox/%3C4039F65E.7020406@...%3E
> Le 5 mars 2013 22:46, "Niall Pemberton" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > @author tags are no longer used, because authors are documented in
> > pom.xml.
> > > I don't know the history of BeanUtils so I'm asking if there are any
> > > arguments against moving authors from source code files to pom.xml.
> > > I will wait for 72 hours before I create a JIRA issue for this change.
> >
> > I believe I removed any of my @author tags a couple of years ago - but
> > if I missed any, feel free to remove. Craig McClanahan is author on
> > alot of BeanUtils - he hasn't been around in a long time, but I would
> > take the following post he wrote regarding pool that he doesn't mind
> > them being removed:
> >     http://markmail.org/message/7ttwf56tfy4jbexs
> >
> > In case you're interested, the lastest discussion I could find on this is
> > here:
> >     http://markmail.org/message/ldexerq46xvwxdkh
> >
> > Niall
> >
> > > Regards,
> > > Benedikt
> > >

> > > --
> > > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> > > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> > > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> > > http://github.com/britter

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

garydgregory
Strictly speaking, you do not need his permission AFAIK. IOW, don't bother
sending ME an email to tell me you'll moving my @author to pom.xml ;)

--
E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

Benedikt Ritter-4
Yes I know. but if Craig has created a lot of the code I find it
appropriate to ask him. I'll let you know what he answered :)

Benedikt

2013/3/6 Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>

> Strictly speaking, you do not need his permission AFAIK. IOW, don't bother
> sending ME an email to tell me you'll moving my @author to pom.xml ;)

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your comments. I have create BEANUTILS-431 [1]. Since Craig
> > McClanahan doesn't seem to follow the ML I will contact him directly to
> be
> > sure he is okay with this change.
> >
> > Benedikt
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-431
> >

> > 2013/3/5 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > FYI it seems @author is discouraged:
> > >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-jmeter-dev/200402.mbox/%3C4039F65E.7020406@...%3E

> any
> > change.

> but

> this
> > is

> > --
> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> > http://github.com/britter

> JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: <http://goog_1249600977>http://bit.ly/ECvg0
> Spring Batch in Action: <http://s.apache.org/HOq>http://bit.ly/bqpbCK
> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

Christian Grobmeier
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Strictly speaking, you do not need his permission AFAIK. IOW, don't bother
> sending ME an email to tell me you'll moving my @author to pom.xml ;)

Out of interest, are you sure there is no permission needed? I am
thinking on another project where the author likes to keep the @author
tags.

(for the record: i am all for removing them)
Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Christian Grobmeier <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Strictly speaking, you do not need his permission AFAIK. IOW, don't
> bother
> > sending ME an email to tell me you'll moving my @author to pom.xml ;)
>
> Out of interest, are you sure there is no permission needed? I am
> thinking on another project where the author likes to keep the @author
> tags.

I know we've had this discussion many times over in the past. IIRC, the
upshot is that the ASF recommends not using them but that it is up to each
project to manage itself on the issue.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

Benedikt Ritter-4
FYI: Craig is fine with having his authors tags removed from BeanUtils (and
any other Apache source code)

I'll make the necessary changes this weekend.

http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Removing @author tags?

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi again,

I'm working on removing the @author tags. I was able to map some of the
authors back to apache login Ids from people.apache.org. However there are
a lot of names, where I can't find a apache login id for. I'm not sure
where to put those names: developers or contributors?

Benedikt