[BeanUtils] Update to Java 1.5 for next release?

[BeanUtils] Update to Java 1.5 for next release?

I have recently learned that changing the required Java version for a
component does not necessarily affect binary compartibility [1].
I'm thinking about updating [BeanUtils] to Java 1.5. We would have the
following advantages:

- concurrency facilities in java.util.concurrent (could be useful for the
internal caching)
- generics
- JUnit 4

WDYT?
Benedikt

[1] http://markmail.org/message/mgsjqib5iyyaicgg
--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Update to Java 1.5 for next release?

On 6 March 2013 11:32, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently learned that changing the required Java version for a
> component does not necessarily affect binary compartibility [1].
> I'm thinking about updating [BeanUtils] to Java 1.5. We would have the
> following advantages:
>
> - concurrency facilities in java.util.concurrent (could be useful for the
> internal caching)
> - generics
> - JUnit 4
>
> WDYT?

+1

> Benedikt
>

> [1] http://markmail.org/message/mgsjqib5iyyaicgg
> --
> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Update to Java 1.5 for next release?

Oliver Heger-3
Am 06.03.2013 13:35, schrieb sebb:

> On 6 March 2013 11:32, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have recently learned that changing the required Java version for a
>> component does not necessarily affect binary compartibility [1].
>> I'm thinking about updating [BeanUtils] to Java 1.5. We would have the
>> following advantages:
>>
>> - concurrency facilities in java.util.concurrent (could be useful for the
>> internal caching)
>> - generics
>> - JUnit 4
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> +1

+1 from me, too. It really felt strange when creating patches to adhere
to Java 1.3 restrictions.

Oliver

>> Benedikt
>>

>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/mgsjqib5iyyaicgg
>> --
>> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>> http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Update to Java 1.5 for next release?

Benedikt Ritter-4
I have create BEANUTILS-432 [1] for this.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-432

>>> http://www.systemoutprintln.**de/ <http://www.systemoutprintln.de/>
>>> http://twitter.com/**BenediktRitter <http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter>