Broken source links

Phil Steitz
Hi all,

I have noticed that several components - e.g. [pool], [dbcp], [lang] now
return 404s when you click the "Source Repository" link on the left
nav.  It looks like the file, "source-repository.html" referenced in
site.xml for these components is no longer being generated by the site
build.  In at least one other case, [codec], the link works, but points
to a page referring to svn.  Is the right fix for this to just change
the target in site.xml to point to the git repo?  If so, what git repo
([math] points to "gitbox", but IIUC most things are now just using
github directly)? It would be nice to have a page like the (I assume now
incorrect) [codec] page that tells people how to check out the code.  At
the very least, we should have working links to where the code is.

Phil

Re: Broken source links

garydgregory
In this vein, our main page http://commons.apache.org/ has a menu item on
the LHS called "Components" under "Source Repositories" that still points
to Subversion http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/ instead of git
repos for which there is not a single link so maybe we should just remove
the menu item...

Gary

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019, 18:27 Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed that several components - e.g. [pool], [dbcp], [lang] now
> return 404s when you click the "Source Repository" link on the left
> nav.  It looks like the file, "source-repository.html" referenced in
> site.xml for these components is no longer being generated by the site
> build.  In at least one other case, [codec], the link works, but points
> to a page referring to svn.  Is the right fix for this to just change
> the target in site.xml to point to the git repo?  If so, what git repo
> ([math] points to "gitbox", but IIUC most things are now just using
> github directly)? It would be nice to have a page like the (I assume now
> incorrect) [codec] page that tells people how to check out the code.  At
> the very least, we should have working links to where the code is.
>
> Phil

Re: Broken source links

arg, the site.xml files must be updated to point to scm.html...

Gary

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed that several components - e.g. [pool], [dbcp], [lang] now
> return 404s when you click the "Source Repository" link on the left
> nav.  It looks like the file, "source-repository.html" referenced in
> site.xml for these components is no longer being generated by the site
> build.  In at least one other case, [codec], the link works, but points
> to a page referring to svn.  Is the right fix for this to just change
> the target in site.xml to point to the git repo?  If so, what git repo
> ([math] points to "gitbox", but IIUC most things are now just using
> github directly)? It would be nice to have a page like the (I assume now
> incorrect) [codec] page that tells people how to check out the code.  At
> the very least, we should have working links to where the code is.
>
> Phil

Re: Broken source links

garydgregory
I've updated the site.xml files.

Gary

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:41 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> arg, the site.xml files must be updated to point to scm.html...
>
> Gary
>
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have noticed that several components - e.g. [pool], [dbcp], [lang] now
>> return 404s when you click the "Source Repository" link on the left
>> nav.  It looks like the file, "source-repository.html" referenced in
>> site.xml for these components is no longer being generated by the site
>> build.  In at least one other case, [codec], the link works, but points
>> to a page referring to svn.  Is the right fix for this to just change
>> the target in site.xml to point to the git repo?  If so, what git repo
>> ([math] points to "gitbox", but IIUC most things are now just using
>> github directly)? It would be nice to have a page like the (I assume now
>> incorrect) [codec] page that tells people how to check out the code.  At
>> the very least, we should have working links to where the code is.
>>
>> Phil

Re: Broken source links

garydgregory
On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:48 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've updated the site.xml files.

... and regenerated the site such that that link is no longer present.

> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:41 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> arg, the site.xml files must be updated to point to scm.html...
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM Phil Steitz <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have noticed that several components - e.g. [pool], [dbcp], [lang] now
>>> return 404s when you click the "Source Repository" link on the left
>>> nav.  It looks like the file, "source-repository.html" referenced in
>>> site.xml for these components is no longer being generated by the site
>>> build.  In at least one other case, [codec], the link works, but points
>>> to a page referring to svn.  Is the right fix for this to just change
>>> the target in site.xml to point to the git repo?  If so, what git repo
>>> ([math] points to "gitbox", but IIUC most things are now just using
>>> github directly)? It would be nice to have a page like the (I assume now
>>> incorrect) [codec] page that tells people how to check out the code.  At
>>> the very least, we should have working links to where the code is.
>>>
>>> Phil

Re: Broken source links

garydgregory
On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 2:38 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:48 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've updated the site.xml files.
>>

> ... and regenerated the site such that that link is no longer present.

I updated the following sites which contain a scm.html page:

commons-bcel
commons-build-plugin
commons-cli
commons-codec
commons-collections
commons-compress
commons-configuration
commons-csv
commons-daemon
commons-dbcp
commons-fileupload
commons-imaging
commons-io
commons-jcs
commons-lang
commons-numbers
commons-parent
commons-pool
commons-release-plugin
commons-rng
commons-statistics
commons-text
commons-vfs
commons-weaver

>> Gary
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:41 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> arg, the site.xml files must be updated to point to scm.html...
>>>
>>> Gary

Re: Broken source links

Phil Steitz

On 7/21/19 4:04 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 2:38 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:48 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've updated the site.xml files.
>>>
>> ... and regenerated the site such that that link is no longer present.
>>
> I updated the following sites which contain a scm.html page:
>
> commons-bcel
> commons-build-plugin
> commons-cli
> commons-codec
> commons-collections
> commons-compress
> commons-configuration
> commons-csv
> commons-daemon
> commons-dbcp
> commons-fileupload
> commons-imaging
> commons-io
> commons-jcs
> commons-lang
> commons-numbers
> commons-parent
> commons-pool
> commons-release-plugin
> commons-rng
> commons-statistics
> commons-text
> commons-vfs
> commons-weaver

Wow.  That is awesome.  Thanks, Gary!

Phil

> Gary
>
>> Gary
>>

>>> Gary

Re: Broken source links

Bruno P. Kinoshita-2
 Thanks Gary!!!

    On Monday, 22 July 2019, 9:05:06 am NZST, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

 On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 2:38 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:48 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've updated the site.xml files.
>>

> ... and regenerated the site such that that link is no longer present.

I updated the following sites which contain a scm.html page:

commons-bcel
commons-build-plugin
commons-cli
commons-codec
commons-collections
commons-compress
commons-configuration
commons-csv
commons-daemon
commons-dbcp
commons-fileupload
commons-imaging
commons-io
commons-jcs
commons-lang
commons-numbers
commons-parent
commons-pool
commons-release-plugin
commons-rng
commons-statistics
commons-text
commons-vfs
commons-weaver

>> Gary
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 8:41 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> arg, the site.xml files must be updated to point to scm.html...
>>>
>>> Gary

Re: Broken source links

garydgregory
On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 7:17 PM Bruno P. Kinoshita <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Thanks Gary!!!

YW.