[CLI] two different versions of commons-cli-1.0.jar?

[CLI] two different versions of commons-cli-1.0.jar?

Hansine Jensen
When you download from
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-cli.cgi
you get cli-1.0.zip which is the original distribution from November 2002
containing commons-cli-1.0.jar corresponding to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/tags/CLI_1_0/

But if you download
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-cli/jars/commons-cli-1.0.jar
or e.g.
http://apache.usp.br/java-repository/commons-cli/jars/commons-cli-1.0.jar
you get a different archive containg two more classes, OptionValidator and
Util.
This versions seems to be the one described at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/cli/apidocs/org/apache/commons/cli/package-summary.html
also claiming to be Commons CLI 1.0.

Can someone please explain what is going on here?

I wonder if there is a tag in svn for the maven version or if it is a
snapshot of
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/trunk/

thanks,
Jesper

Re: [CLI] two different versions of commons-cli-1.0.jar?

Simon Kitching
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 23:43 +0200, Hansine Jensen wrote:

> When you download from
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-cli.cgi
> you get cli-1.0.zip which is the original distribution from November 2002
> containing commons-cli-1.0.jar corresponding to
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/tags/CLI_1_0/
>
> But if you download
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-cli/jars/commons-cli-1.0.jar
> or e.g.
> http://apache.usp.br/java-repository/commons-cli/jars/commons-cli-1.0.jar
> you get a different archive containg two more classes, OptionValidator and
> Util.
> This versions seems to be the one described at
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/cli/apidocs/org/apache/commons/cli/package-summary.html
> also claiming to be Commons CLI 1.0.
>
> Can someone please explain what is going on here?

I can confirm the above info is correct. It sure looks like a cock-up to
me.

It would appear that after the 1.0 release no-one updated the
currentVersion tag in project.xml and that at some later time someone
compiled the trunk code and published it on ibiblio as commons-cli-1.0
when it was actually a snapshot of trunk.

> I wonder if there is a tag in svn for the maven version or if it is a
> snapshot of
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/trunk/

It sure looks to me like the version on ibiblio (which Maven will
download) is a snapshot of some unknown state of trunk. The file on
ibiblio is dated 29 jan 2004 so I guess that's the date that the code is
from. The version# in project.xml was updated on 22 april 2004, so the
snapshot is certainly before that date.

I think the best thing to do would be to publish a cli-1.0.1 which is
identical to 1.0, ie copy tags/CLI_1_0 to CLI_1_0_1 then update the
version# and build a new release. The 1.0 release on ibiblio should then
be deleted. Yes this will break a whole bunch of existing projects that
depend on 1.0 - but I can't see any better way out of this.

Is there anyone from the CLI team willing to do this?

NB: This problem isn't anything to do with Maven.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [CLI] two different versions of commons-cli-1.0.jar?

Torsten Curdt
> It would appear that after the 1.0 release no-one updated the
> currentVersion tag in project.xml and that at some later time someone
> compiled the trunk code and published it on ibiblio as commons-cli-1.0
> when it was actually a snapshot of trunk.
>
> It sure looks to me like the version on ibiblio (which Maven will
> download) is a snapshot of some unknown state of trunk. The file on
> ibiblio is dated 29 jan 2004 so I guess that's the date that the code is
> from. The version# in project.xml was updated on 22 april 2004, so the
> snapshot is certainly before that date.

...actually I also had to use a trunk version lately.
Maybe it's just time for a bugfix release?

> I think the best thing to do would be to publish a cli-1.0.1 which is
> identical to 1.0, ie copy tags/CLI_1_0 to CLI_1_0_1 then update the
> version# and build a new release. The 1.0 release on ibiblio should then
> be deleted. Yes this will break a whole bunch of existing projects that
> depend on 1.0 - but I can't see any better way out of this.

Same here +1

> Is there anyone from the CLI team willing to do this?

I could take care of pushing out the jar to
ibilio ...but I think we should have a proper
release or at least a tag for 1.0.1 then.

WDYT?

cheers
--
Torsten

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 08:22 +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> I could take care of pushing out the jar to
> ibilio ...but I think we should have a proper
> release or at least a tag for 1.0.1 then.

Sorry, I don't understand this.

The filename "commons-cli-1.0.jar" is now ambiguous. It could refer to
either of two actual bunches of files. Updating the ibiblio one from the
bad jar to the good jar is therefore pretty pointless; the bad jar is
out there in circulation.

Hmm..probably best to transfer this email to the dev list so we can have
a vote on a rerelease of 1.0.

Jesper: I'll make sure any progress is posted to the user list, but
don't want to flood this list with dev-type emails. You're welcome to
join the dev list if you want (or use gmane or similar to watch the
cli-related thread).

Cheers,

Simon

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 02:26 +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> > Rob/Torsten, so what's the plan for this? Who's doing what etc?
> > Anything I can help make happen? Perms etc.

As noted in a separate email, an RC is up for review.

There is one question still to be decided though: do we *delete* the
existing 1.0 jar from ibiblio, or replace it with the right one.

I've argued for deleting it because otherwise projects that declare
dependencies on 1.0 will work differently when compiled on different
systems depending on what version (if any) is in the maven cache.

So person A can compile (getting the snapshot) and see a certain
behaviour. Person B can compile the same software on a different machine
(getting the correct 1.0) and see different behaviour. Very confusing.

I would rather see person B get an error message saying that
commons-cli-1.0.jar cannot be found on ibiblio. They will then go to the
cli website and see why, and fix the project to depend on 1.0.1 instead.

Ok, deleting the ambiguous 1.0.jar file doesn't completely solve the
problem for our hypothetical A and B if they both already have the jar
cached in maven's repo, but have different versions. Still, deleting
will warn as many people as possible of this issue.

Replacing the bad 1.0 with the good one at this point is probably not a
good idea either. Again, we have the issue where someone has a working
product based on the snapshot (under the illusion it is the real
release). By replacing this with the "real" 1.0 we could potentially
break their product if they depend on behaviour present in the snapshot
but not the real release. Instead, removing the bad 1.0 will alert them
to resolve the issue by hand.

Actually, we should probably continue to make the bad 1.0 available but
under a different name for the use of people who want to continue using
it. I'd be happy to go in and rename the jar right now, to something
like
  commons-cli-1.0-snapshot.jar
if there is agreement on that.

The alternative is to leave the bad 1.0 there on the principle that
it hasn't actually broken anyone's code that we are aware of (just
confused a few people who spotted that it wasn't the real 1.0 release).

So to summarise, here are the options I see:
  A: replace bad 1.0 jar with good 1.0 jar
  B: rename bad 1.0 jar, do NOT provide any commons-cli-1.0.jar
  C: leave bad 1.0 jar as-is

Here's my opinion:
 A: -0
 B: +1
 C: -0

Comments? Feedback from users (who will be the most affected by this)
is very welcome. Please send replies to only one list (not both user and
dev).

Regards,

Simon