[COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

who can help with the test failures on Windows? I’d like to push out the next release soon to get Collections Java 9 ready. I don’t have access to a Windows installation and I don’t feel like debugging inside a VM :o)

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

Bruno P. Kinoshita-2
I have the environment prepared to debug it but didn't have time for it before going overseas.
If anyone has a Win + jvm8 environment, clone the repo and run the HashSetValuedHashMapTest.
The failures happen in the inherited tests, from the Abstract... test class.
My idea was to copy one of these methods to the HashSetValuedHashMapTest for ease of debugging. Disable other tests, and try to understand what's wrong with the HashSetValuedHashMap data structure.
I think I saw an ArrayList somewhere being pre initialized. I kind of remember of an issue in some JVM involving arraylist elements order after initialization... maybe some of it will be helpful if anyone decides to have fun debugging it?
Happy to investigate once I'm back in two weeks.
CheersBruno
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 at 4:02, Benedikt Ritter<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi,

who can help with the test failures on Windows? I’d like to push out the next release soon to get Collections Java 9 ready. I don’t have access to a Windows installation and I don’t feel like debugging inside a VM :o)

  On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 at 4:02, Benedikt Ritter<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi,

who can help with the test failures on Windows? I’d like to push out the next release soon to get Collections Java 9 ready. I don’t have access to a Windows installation and I don’t feel like debugging inside a VM :o)

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

Using git master and 'mvn clean verify', on Windows 10, with Java 7, I get
44 failures, and I think this is all/mostly hash code problems.

With Java 8, all tests pass.

With Java 9, I get ONE failure: ListIteratorWrapperTest.testRemove:116 ╗
ServiceConfiguration sun.util.locale....

If I checkout the 4.1 tag and use Java 7, I get 44 failures. ARG! What the
heck?

Gary

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>

> who can help with the test failures on Windows? I’d like to push out the
> next release soon to get Collections Java 9 ready. I don’t have access to a
> Windows installation and I don’t feel like debugging inside a VM :o)
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

Andreas Kuhtz
Hi,

I'm running Win7 and with "mvn clean verify". Checkout master.

I got the hash code errors, too. But sometimes the tests pass, the next
time they failed with 44 failures (the hash code verification).

As I'm not sure if my antivirus kicks in and keep some files in the target
dir, I ran "mvn clean" and after that "mvn clean verify".
But now I have the 44 failures with jdk-1.7.0_67, jdk-1.8.0_131 and 9+181

Gary:
To get around the issue with ServiceConfiguration sun.util.locale...  I
added the following profile to the pom.xml. After that I only got the 44
errors (hash code) as with Java 7 and 8.

    <profile>
      <id>jdk9-build</id>
      <activation>
        <jdk>9</jdk>
      </activation>
      <build>
        <plugins>
          <plugin>
            <configuration>
              <argLine>-Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT</argLine>
            </configuration>
          </plugin>
        </plugins>
      </build>
    </profile>

I'm not sure if I can help more, but if you need more info just let me know.

Andreas

> Using git master and 'mvn clean verify', on Windows 10, with Java 7, I get
> 44 failures, and I think this is all/mostly hash code problems.
>
> With Java 8, all tests pass.
>
> With Java 9, I get ONE failure: ListIteratorWrapperTest.testRemove:116 ╗
> ServiceConfiguration sun.util.locale....
>
> If I checkout the 4.1 tag and use Java 7, I get 44 failures. ARG! What the
> heck?
>
> Gary
>

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > who can help with the test failures on Windows? I’d like to push out the
> > next release soon to get Collections Java 9 ready. I don’t have access
> to a
> > Windows installation and I don’t feel like debugging inside a VM :o)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Benedikt

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

Bruno P. Kinoshita-2
Forgot to mention something important. When I was debugging the hash tests, they would pretty much always pass.
But if I ran the tests normally in maven or eclipse they would always fail.
Debugging adds a small overhead I think, that could be slowing down some part of the code with a concurrency issue?
Just in case it helps...
Interesting this surefire configuration Andreas. Do you have more information about it? Is it something we may have to worry about in components that use locale and jvm 9?
CheersBruno

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 at 4:45, Andreas Kuhtz<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi,

I'm running Win7 and with "mvn clean verify". Checkout master.

I got the hash code errors, too. But sometimes the tests pass, the next
time they failed with 44 failures (the hash code verification).

As I'm not sure if my antivirus kicks in and keep some files in the target
dir, I ran "mvn clean" and after that "mvn clean verify".
But now I have the 44 failures with jdk-1.7.0_67, jdk-1.8.0_131 and 9+181

Gary:
To get around the issue with ServiceConfiguration sun.util.locale...  I
added the following profile to the pom.xml. After that I only got the 44
errors (hash code) as with Java 7 and 8.

    <profile>
      <id>jdk9-build</id>
      <activation>
        <jdk>9</jdk>
      </activation>
      <build>
        <plugins>
          <plugin>
            <configuration>
              <argLine>-Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT</argLine>
            </configuration>
          </plugin>
        </plugins>
      </build>
    </profile>

I'm not sure if I can help more, but if you need more info just let me know.

Andreas

> Using git master and 'mvn clean verify', on Windows 10, with Java 7, I get
> 44 failures, and I think this is all/mostly hash code problems.
>
> With Java 8, all tests pass.
>
> With Java 9, I get ONE failure: ListIteratorWrapperTest.testRemove:116 ╗
> ServiceConfiguration sun.util.locale....
>
> If I checkout the 4.1 tag and use Java 7, I get 44 failures. ARG! What the
> heck?
>
> Gary
>

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > who can help with the test failures on Windows? I’d like to push out the
> > next release soon to get Collections Java 9 ready. I don’t have access
> to a
> > Windows installation and I don’t feel like debugging inside a VM :o)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Benedikt

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

Andreas Kuhtz

> Forgot to mention something important. When I was debugging the hash
> tests, they would pretty much always pass.
>
> But if I ran the tests normally in maven or eclipse they would always fail.
>
> Debugging adds a small overhead I think, that could be slowing down some
> part of the code with a concurrency issue?

That's an explanation. If I start a Virtualbox instance that prepares some
load I can see the tests pass under Java 9 ... I had the Virtualbox running
yesterday when the tests passed.

> Just in case it helps...
>
> Interesting this surefire configuration Andreas. Do you have more
> information about it? Is it something we may have to worry about in
> components that use locale and jvm 9?

I ran into an issue with the language selection dialog of izpack and found
that this configuration solved the problem there.
It's noted in the release notes of Java 9:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/9-relnote-issues-3704069.html#JDK-8008577

Cheers,
Andreas

> Cheers
> Bruno
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 at 4:45, Andreas Kuhtz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Win7 and with "mvn clean verify". Checkout master.
>
> I got the hash code errors, too. But sometimes the tests pass, the next
> time they failed with 44 failures (the hash code verification).
>
> As I'm not sure if my antivirus kicks in and keep some files in the target
> dir, I ran "mvn clean" and after that "mvn clean verify".
> But now I have the 44 failures with jdk-1.7.0_67, jdk-1.8.0_131 and 9+181
>
> Gary:
> To get around the issue with ServiceConfiguration sun.util.locale...  I
> added the following profile to the pom.xml. After that I only got the 44
> errors (hash code) as with Java 7 and 8.
>
>     <profile>
>       <id>jdk9-build</id>
>       <activation>
>         <jdk>9</jdk>
>       </activation>
>       <build>
>         <plugins>
>           <plugin>
>             <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>             <configuration>
>               <argLine>-Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT</argLine>
>             </configuration>
>           </plugin>
>         </plugins>
>       </build>
>     </profile>
>
> I'm not sure if I can help more, but if you need more info just let me
> know.
>
> Andreas

> > Using git master and 'mvn clean verify', on Windows 10, with Java 7, I
> get
> > 44 failures, and I think this is all/mostly hash code problems.
> >
> > With Java 8, all tests pass.
> >
> > With Java 9, I get ONE failure: ListIteratorWrapperTest.testRemove:116 ╗
> > ServiceConfiguration sun.util.locale....
> >
> > If I checkout the 4.1 tag and use Java 7, I get 44 failures. ARG! What
> the
> > heck?
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > who can help with the test failures on Windows? I’d like to push out
> the
> > > next release soon to get Collections Java 9 ready. I don’t have access
> > to a
> > > Windows installation and I don’t feel like debugging inside a VM :o)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Benedikt

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

Pascal Schumacher
Looks like the random failures are not limited to window. The travis
build (ubuntu), just failed with 44 failures, e.g.

AbstractMultiValuedMapTest$TestMultiValuedMapAsMap>AbstractMapTest.testMapToString:745->AbstractMapTest.verify:1947->AbstractMapTest.verifyMap:1958
hashCodes should be the same expected:<205172737> but was:<9372706>

see: https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-collections/jobs/282169803

Am 28.09.2017 um 20:23 schrieb Andreas Kuhtz:

> [...]
>>          </plugins>
>>        </build>
>>      </profile>
>>
>> I'm not sure if I can help more, but if you need more info just let me
>> know.
>>
>> Andreas

>>> Using git master and 'mvn clean verify', on Windows 10, with Java 7, I
>> get
>>> 44 failures, and I think this is all/mostly hash code problems.
>>>
>>> With Java 8, all tests pass.
>>>
>>> With Java 9, I get ONE failure: ListIteratorWrapperTest.testRemove:116 ╗
>>> ServiceConfiguration sun.util.locale....
>>>
>>> If I checkout the 4.1 tag and use Java 7, I get 44 failures. ARG! What
>> the
>>> heck?
>>>
>>> Gary

>> the
>>> to a

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

garydgregory
Where are we on this one?

Gary

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 3:34 AM, Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>        <activation>
>>>          <jdk>9</jdk>
>>>        </activation>
>>>        <build>
>>>          <plugins>
>>>            <plugin>
>>>              <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>>>              <configuration>
>>>                <argLine>-Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT</argLine>
>>>              </configuration>
>>>            </plugin>
>>>          </plugins>
>>>        </build>
>>>      </profile>
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if I can help more, but if you need more info just let me
>>> know.
>>>
>>> Andreas

>>> Using git master and 'mvn clean verify', on Windows 10, with Java 7, I
>>>>
>>> get

>>> the

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Still investigating. Trying to isolate the problem https://github.com/kinow/commons-collections/tree/COLLECTIONS-661-1

No luck so far. I have an environment where it happens over 90% of the time. Tried debugging a few times, adding some sysout statements to see if there was anything suspect... yesterday enabled findbugs in test to look for any issue in the test classes. Nothing yet.

Bruno

wrote:

> [...]
>>>        <activation>
>>>          <jdk>9</jdk>
>>>        </activation>
>>>        <build>
>>>          <plugins>
>>>            <plugin>
>>>              <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>>>              <configuration>
>>>                <argLine>-Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT</argLine>
>>>              </configuration>
>>>            </plugin>
>>>          </plugins>
>>>        </build>
>>>      </profile>
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if I can help more, but if you need more info just let me
>>> know.
>>>
>>> Andreas

>>> Using git master and 'mvn clean verify', on Windows 10, with Java 7, I
>>>>
>>> get

>>> the

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

Done.
https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/pull/28

Tested on Windows 10 + JDK8, and Ubuntu LTS + JDK8.
Would be good if someone else with a Windows version could try it too, and if others could have a look at the suggested solution in the pull request to see if there's a better way of doing it.
CheersBruno

wrote:

> [...]
>>>        <activation>
>>>          <jdk>9</jdk>
>>>        </activation>
>>>        <build>
>>>          <plugins>
>>>            <plugin>
>>>              <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>>>              <configuration>
>>>                <argLine>-Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT</argLine>
>>>              </configuration>
>>>            </plugin>
>>>          </plugins>
>>>        </build>
>>>      </profile>
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if I can help more, but if you need more info just let me
>>> know.
>>>
>>> Andreas

>>> Using git master and 'mvn clean verify', on Windows 10, with Java 7, I
>>>>
>>> get

>>> the

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Test failures on Windows

Tested with the changes of your PR multiple times with Win7-64bit and JDK7
and JDK8 without any issues.

Cheers
Andreas

[hidden email]>:

> Done.
> https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/pull/28
>
> Tested on Windows 10 + JDK8, and Ubuntu LTS + JDK8.
> Would be good if someone else with a Windows version could try it too, and
> if others could have a look at the suggested solution in the pull request
> to see if there's a better way of doing it.
> CheersBruno

Works like a charm for me on Windows 10 and

Apache Maven 3.5.0 (ff8f5e7444045639af65f6095c62210b5713f426;
2017-04-03T13:39:06-06:00)
Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.5.0\bin\..
Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 10", version: "10.0", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

Committed!
:-)
Gary

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 5:06 AM, Andreas Kuhtz <[hidden email]>

> Tested with the changes of your PR multiple times with Win7-64bit and JDK7
> and JDK8 without any issues.
>
> Cheers
> Andreas

> [hidden email]>:
>
> > Done.
> > https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/pull/28
> >
> > Tested on Windows 10 + JDK8, and Ubuntu LTS + JDK8.
> > Would be good if someone else with a Windows version could try it too,
> and
> > if others could have a look at the suggested solution in the pull request
> > to see if there's a better way of doing it.
> > CheersBruno

Awesome, let’s merge this!

> Am 11.10.2017 um 13:06 schrieb Andreas Kuhtz <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> Tested with the changes of your PR multiple times with Win7-64bit and JDK7
> and JDK8 without any issues.
>
> Cheers
> Andreas

> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Done.
>> https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/pull/28
>>
>> Tested on Windows 10 + JDK8, and Ubuntu LTS + JDK8.
>> Would be good if someone else with a Windows version could try it too, and
>> if others could have a look at the suggested solution in the pull request
>> to see if there's a better way of doing it.
>> CheersBruno

It was merged in https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/commit/eed8a7adb3de7441751e846f4a75d110dd205f23.
I closed the pull request.
Thanks to all that helped testing & troubleshooting this interesting issue!
I believe Commons Collections should now be in a state ready for a release.
CheersBruno
> Am 11.10.2017 um 13:06 schrieb Andreas Kuhtz <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> Tested with the changes of your PR multiple times with Win7-64bit and JDK7
> and JDK8 without any issues.
>
> Cheers
> Andreas

> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Done.
>> https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/pull/28
>>
>> Tested on Windows 10 + JDK8, and Ubuntu LTS + JDK8.
>> Would be good if someone else with a Windows version could try it too, and
>> if others could have a look at the suggested solution in the pull request
>> to see if there's a better way of doing it.
>> CheersBruno

With current master on windows 10 (java 7, 8, 9; german locale) the
occasional failures have been replace by constant failures:

Failed tests:
   MapUtilsTest.testgetDoubleValue:956 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>
   MapUtilsTest.testgetFloatValue:974 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>

These are new tests added in
https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/pull/29

Looks like these tests fail when run on a locale that does not use the
point character as a decimal separator.

Am 12.10.2017 um 08:30 schrieb Bruno P. Kinoshita:

> It was merged in https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/commit/eed8a7adb3de7441751e846f4a75d110dd205f23.
> I closed the pull request.
> Thanks to all that helped testing & troubleshooting this interesting issue!
> I believe Commons Collections should now be in a state ready for a release.
> CheersBruno

Dang, it would be neat to run all of our tests in different locales as part
of a normal build.

Gary

On Oct 12, 2017 02:23, "Pascal Schumacher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With current master on windows 10 (java 7, 8, 9; german locale) the
> occasional failures have been replace by constant failures:
>
> Failed tests:
>   MapUtilsTest.testgetDoubleValue:956 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>
>   MapUtilsTest.testgetFloatValue:974 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>
>
> These are new tests added in https://github.com/apache/comm
> ons-collections/pull/29
>
> Looks like these tests fail when run on a locale that does not use the
> point character as a decimal separator.
>
> Am 12.10.2017 um 08:30 schrieb Bruno P. Kinoshita:
>
>> It was merged in https://github.com/apache/c
>> ommons-collections/commit/eed8a7adb3de7441751e846f4a75d110dd205f23.
>> I closed the pull request.
>> Thanks to all that helped testing & troubleshooting this interesting
>> issue!
>> I believe Commons Collections should now be in a state ready for a
>> release.
>> CheersBruno

And in a few different timezones too. Lang had some issues because of that.
In Jenkins you can create a matrix job, that would take longer, but maybe could run as a nightly regression job. There should be something similar in Travis CI too.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 at 6:41, Gary Gregory<[hidden email]> wrote:   Dang, it would be neat to run all of our tests in different locales as part
of a normal build.

Gary

On Oct 12, 2017 02:23, "Pascal Schumacher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With current master on windows 10 (java 7, 8, 9; german locale) the
> occasional failures have been replace by constant failures:
>
> Failed tests:
>  MapUtilsTest.testgetDoubleValue:956 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>
>  MapUtilsTest.testgetFloatValue:974 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>
>
> These are new tests added in https://github.com/apache/comm
> ons-collections/pull/29
>
> Looks like these tests fail when run on a locale that does not use the
> point character as a decimal separator.
>
> Am 12.10.2017 um 08:30 schrieb Bruno P. Kinoshita:
>
>> It was merged in https://github.com/apache/c
>> ommons-collections/commit/eed8a7adb3de7441751e846f4a75d110dd205f23.
>> I closed the pull request.
>> Thanks to all that helped testing & troubleshooting this interesting
>> issue!
>> I believe Commons Collections should now be in a state ready for a
>> release.
>> CheersBruno

I was thinking of something driven by Maven profiles so that anyone could
try different settings from the command line.

Gary

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> And in a few different timezones too. Lang had some issues because of that.
>
> In Jenkins you can create a matrix job, that would take longer, but maybe
> could run as a nightly regression job. There should be something similar in
> Travis CI too.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 at 6:41, Gary Gregory
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dang, it would be neat to run all of our tests in different locales as part
> of a normal build.
>
> Gary
>
> On Oct 12, 2017 02:23, "Pascal Schumacher" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > With current master on windows 10 (java 7, 8, 9; german locale) the
> > occasional failures have been replace by constant failures:
> >
> > Failed tests:
> >  MapUtilsTest.testgetDoubleValue:956 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>
> >  MapUtilsTest.testgetFloatValue:974 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>
> >
> > These are new tests added in https://github.com/apache/comm
> > ons-collections/pull/29
> >
> > Looks like these tests fail when run on a locale that does not use the
> > point character as a decimal separator.
> >
> > Am 12.10.2017 um 08:30 schrieb Bruno P. Kinoshita:
> >
> >> It was merged in https://github.com/apache/c
> >> ommons-collections/commit/eed8a7adb3de7441751e846f4a75d110dd205f23.
> >> I closed the pull request.
> >> Thanks to all that helped testing & troubleshooting this interesting
> >> issue!
> >> I believe Commons Collections should now be in a state ready for a
> >> release.
> >> CheersBruno

Oh, good idea. That way we could test it locally too during the release vote.
Bruno

[hidden email]> wrote:

> And in a few different timezones too. Lang had some issues because of that.
>
> In Jenkins you can create a matrix job, that would take longer, but maybe
> could run as a nightly regression job. There should be something similar in
> Travis CI too.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 at 6:41, Gary Gregory
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dang, it would be neat to run all of our tests in different locales as part
> of a normal build.
>
> Gary
>
> On Oct 12, 2017 02:23, "Pascal Schumacher" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > With current master on windows 10 (java 7, 8, 9; german locale) the
> > occasional failures have been replace by constant failures:
> >
> > Failed tests:
> >  MapUtilsTest.testgetDoubleValue:956 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>
> >  MapUtilsTest.testgetFloatValue:974 expected:<20.0> but was:<2.0>
> >
> > These are new tests added in https://github.com/apache/comm
> > ons-collections/pull/29
> >
> > Looks like these tests fail when run on a locale that does not use the
> > point character as a decimal separator.
> >
> > Am 12.10.2017 um 08:30 schrieb Bruno P. Kinoshita:
> >
> >> It was merged in https://github.com/apache/c
> >> ommons-collections/commit/eed8a7adb3de7441751e846f4a75d110dd205f23.
> >> I closed the pull request.
> >> Thanks to all that helped testing & troubleshooting this interesting
> >> issue!
> >> I believe Commons Collections should now be in a state ready for a
> >> release.
> >> CheersBruno

OK, I should have that fixed up in the tests. Please give it a go.

Gary

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 2:23 AM, Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]