[COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

I’d like to release Commons Collections 4.2 soon, because I want to get COLLECTIONS-658 [1] (Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header) out of the door. Please let me know if you want to add something.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-658

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
There is another thread about failing tests on Windows that would need attention before the release. I am still debugging it, but am off to Australia in a few days, and back only in 3 weeks, so not sure if will be able to explain why it's happening.
CheersBruno

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in the
parent POM and releasing that POM first?

Gary

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’d like to release Commons Collections 4.2 soon, because I want to get
> COLLECTIONS-658 [1] (Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header) out of the
> door. Please let me know if you want to add something.
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-658

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

Gilles Sadowski
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:33:55 -0600, Gary Gregory wrote:
> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in
> the
> parent POM

+1

> and releasing that POM first?

Is there a solution to this issue:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-31

IOW how do other modular components handle the creation of signatures
and checksums for all their modules?

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’d like to release Commons Collections 4.2 soon, because I want to
>> get
>> COLLECTIONS-658 [1] (Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header) out of
>> the
>> door. Please let me know if you want to add something.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Benedikt
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-658

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

Rob Tompkins

> On Sep 20, 2017, at 9:57 AM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:33:55 -0600, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in the
>> parent POM

I went through all of the pom's and added a property that could be used in the parent for the sake of generating this. Do we want to try to do a release of parent to get this in to all of the artifacts?

-Rob

> +1
>
>> and releasing that POM first?
>
> Is there a solution to this issue:
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-31
>
> IOW how do other modular components handle the creation of signatures
> and checksums for all their modules?

>> Gary
>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’d like to release Commons Collections 4.2 soon, because I want to get
>>> COLLECTIONS-658 [1] (Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header) out of the
>>> door. Please let me know if you want to add something.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Benedikt
>>>
>>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-658

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:33:55 -0600, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in the
>> parent POM
>>

> +1
>
> and releasing that POM first?
>>

> Is there a solution to this issue:
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-31
>
> IOW how do other modular components handle the creation of signatures
> and checksums for all their modules?

Some Maven magic does that.

>> Gary
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’d like to release Commons Collections 4.2 soon, because I want to get
>>> COLLECTIONS-658 [1] (Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header) out of the
>>> door. Please let me know if you want to add something.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Benedikt
>>>
>>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-658

[All][RNG] Generate signatures and checksums (Was: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2)

Gilles Sadowski
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:19:35 -0600, Gary Gregory wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>

>> Is there a solution to this issue:
>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-31
>>
>> IOW how do other modular components handle the creation of
>> signatures
>> and checksums for all their modules?
>>

> Some Maven magic does that.

How come that [RNG] is immune to that magic?

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

Stefan Bodewig
On 2017-09-20, Gilles wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:33:55 -0600, Gary Gregory wrote:

>> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in
>> the parent POM and releasing that POM first?

> Is there a solution to this issue:
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-31

I'm afraid Gary and you are talking about completely different things
(and either of you as well as myself should have changed the subject
line ;-)

Unfortunately I cannot answer the question about signatures for modular
builds, I'm not really a maven person. What I can say is that I never
invoke any "assembly" goal when I create a release, the signatures are
created as a byproduct of running "deploy".

Stefan

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

Gilles Sadowski
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 17:49:38 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2017-09-20, Gilles wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:33:55 -0600, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>>> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in
>>> the parent POM and releasing that POM first?
>
>> Is there a solution to this issue:
>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-31
>
> I'm afraid Gary and you are talking about completely different things
> (and either of you as well as myself should have changed the subject
> line ;-)

I did some 20 minutes ago. :-)

> Unfortunately I cannot answer the question about signatures for
> modular
> builds, I'm not really a maven person. What I can say is that I never
> invoke any "assembly" goal when I create a release, the signatures
> are
> created as a byproduct of running "deploy".

"deploy" will upload to the nexus server, and there is no
problem (signatures are generated automagically).
The problem is for the official distribution (on "dist"): a complete
archive is generated but not signed. :-/
[At least that was what "parent" was (not) doing when RNG v1.0.]

Gilles

> Stefan

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

> Am 20.09.2017 um 15:33 schrieb Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>:
>
> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in the
> parent POM and releasing that POM first?

Stephen Colebourne said that we have to check on a per component basis whether the component is ready to be released as Java 9 module. For this reason we wanted to add this to every component individually. At least that is what I recall.

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’d like to release Commons Collections 4.2 soon, because I want to get
>> COLLECTIONS-658 [1] (Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header) out of the
>> door. Please let me know if you want to add something.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Benedikt
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-658

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

jodastephen
I think its worth the extra step of checking the conditions are right
for adding the Automatic-Module-Name manifest entry.

I've not got maven to work with actual module-info.java files yet on
the Joda projects, but they are a more complex setup. Maybe
[collections] could be the first to get a real module-info? There are
no dependencies, right?

Stephen

On 20 September 2017 at 17:03, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Am 20.09.2017 um 15:33 schrieb Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in the
>> parent POM and releasing that POM first?
>
> Stephen Colebourne said that we have to check on a per component basis whether the component is ready to be released as Java 9 module. For this reason we wanted to add this to every component individually. At least that is what I recall.
>
> Benedikt
>

>> Gary
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’d like to release Commons Collections 4.2 soon, because I want to get
>>> COLLECTIONS-658 [1] (Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header) out of the
>>> door. Please let me know if you want to add something.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Benedikt
>>>
>>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-658

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

garydgregory
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think its worth the extra step of checking the conditions are right
> for adding the Automatic-Module-Name manifest entry.
>
> I've not got maven to work with actual module-info.java files yet on
> the Joda projects, but they are a more complex setup. Maybe
> [collections] could be the first to get a real module-info? There are
> no dependencies, right?

Hi,

Correct, [collections4] has no runtime dependencies, only test
dependencies: JUnit and EasyMock.

Gary

> Stephen
>

> On 20 September 2017 at 17:03, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> Am 20.09.2017 um 15:33 schrieb Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in the
> >> parent POM and releasing that POM first?
> >
> > Stephen Colebourne said that we have to check on a per component basis
> whether the component is ready to be released as Java 9 module. For this
> reason we wanted to add this to every component individually. At least that
> is what I recall.
> >
> > Benedikt
> >

> >> Gary

[COLLECTIONS] module-info.java and Java 9 (Was: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2)

> Anfang der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:
>
> Von: Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Aw: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2
> Datum: 20. September 2017 um 18:08:33 MESZ
> An: Commons Developers List <[hidden email]>
> Antwort an: "Commons Developers List" <[hidden email]>
>
> I think its worth the extra step of checking the conditions are right
> for adding the Automatic-Module-Name manifest entry.
>
> I've not got maven to work with actual module-info.java files yet on
> the Joda projects, but they are a more complex setup. Maybe
> [collections] could be the first to get a real module-info? There are
> no dependencies, right?

There are test dependencies.

And I wonder how we can create a jar that is also valid on JVM 7 and 8. Do they ignore the module-info.class which would be included? Or do we have to create a Multi-Release jar? The build will definitely require Java 9.

> Stephen
>

> On 20 September 2017 at 17:03, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 20.09.2017 um 15:33 schrieb Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> How about dealing with the Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST header in the
>>> parent POM and releasing that POM first?
>>
>> Stephen Colebourne said that we have to check on a per component basis whether the component is ready to be released as Java 9 module. For this reason we wanted to add this to every component individually. At least that is what I recall.
>>
>> Benedikt
>>

>>> Gary

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2

Matt Benson-3
On Sep 20, 2017 11:08 AM, "Stephen Colebourne" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think its worth the extra step of checking the conditions are right
for adding the Automatic-Module-Name manifest entry.

Wouldn't that just offload the decision to "when to update the parent
version in the component?"

Matt

On 20 September 2017 at 17:21, Matt Benson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2017 11:08 AM, "Stephen Colebourne" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think its worth the extra step of checking the conditions are right
> for adding the Automatic-Module-Name manifest entry.
>

> Wouldn't that just offload the decision to "when to update the parent
> version in the component?"

No, I expect that not all commons components will be suitable to be modules.
Stephen

Re: [COLLECTIONS] module-info.java and Java 9 (Was: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2)

jodastephen
On 20 September 2017 at 17:12, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Von: Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>
>> I've not got maven to work with actual module-info.java files yet on
>> the Joda projects, but they are a more complex setup. Maybe
>> [collections] could be the first to get a real module-info? There are
>> no dependencies, right?
>
> There are test dependencies.
>
> And I wonder how we can create a jar that is also valid on JVM 7 and 8. Do they ignore the module-info.class which would be included? Or do we have to create a Multi-Release jar? The build will definitely require Java 9.

I've not managed to get this pattern to work on my projects yet:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/module-info.html

There should be no need for a multi-release jar - the
module-info.class file will just be ignored (not class loaded) by
previous versions even though it is in the jar file.
Stephen

Re: [COLLECTIONS] module-info.java and Java 9 (Was: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2)

garydgregory
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 20 September 2017 at 17:12, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Von: Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>
> >> I've not got maven to work with actual module-info.java files yet on
> >> the Joda projects, but they are a more complex setup. Maybe
> >> [collections] could be the first to get a real module-info? There are
> >> no dependencies, right?
> >
> > There are test dependencies.
> >
> > And I wonder how we can create a jar that is also valid on JVM 7 and 8.
> Do they ignore the module-info.class which would be included? Or do we have
> to create a Multi-Release jar? The build will definitely require Java 9.
>
> I've not managed to get this pattern to work on my projects yet:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/
> examples/module-info.html
>
> There should be no need for a multi-release jar - the
> module-info.class file will just be ignored (not class loaded) by
> previous versions even though it is in the jar file.

One reason NOT to do this now is that other tools will see this class file,
try to load it, and blow up, as I've seen with Android tools :-(

Gary

Stephen

Re: [All][RNG] Generate signatures and checksums (Was: [COLLECTIONS] Time for 4.2)

Ralph Goers

>>> Is there a solution to this issue:
>>>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-31
>>>
>>> IOW how do other modular components handle the creation of signatures
>>> and checksums for all their modules?
>>>

>> Some Maven magic does that.
>
> How come that [RNG] is immune to that magic?

Do you use the Maven release plugin to perform releases? It does that automatically.

Ralph

On 2017-09-20, Gilles wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 17:49:38 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>> Is there a solution to this issue:
>>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-31

>> I'm afraid Gary and you are talking about completely different things
>> (and either of you as well as myself should have changed the subject
>> line ;-)

> I did some 20 minutes ago. :-)

>> Unfortunately I cannot answer the question about signatures for
>> modular
>> builds, I'm not really a maven person. What I can say is that I never
>> invoke any "assembly" goal when I create a release, the signatures
>> are
>> created as a byproduct of running "deploy".

> "deploy" will upload to the nexus server, and there is no
> problem (signatures are generated automagically).

mvn deploy -Ptest-deploy -Prelease

creates all signatures but doesn't actually perform the upload. This is
what I use.

Stefan

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 07:47:07 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2017-09-20, Gilles wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
>>> Unfortunately I cannot answer the question about signatures for
>>> modular
>>> builds, I'm not really a maven person. What I can say is that I
>>> never
>>> invoke any "assembly" goal when I create a release, the signatures
>>> are
>>> created as a byproduct of running "deploy".
>
>> "deploy" will upload to the nexus server, and there is no
>> problem (signatures are generated automagically).
>
> mvn deploy -Ptest-deploy -Prelease
>
> creates all signatures but doesn't actually perform the upload. This
> is
> what I use.

What this command did not do is create the checksum and
signature for the _full_ distribution (the only _official_
one IIUC) made available here:
   http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/download_rng.cgi

In the source repository, there is a directory only meant
to create the above "distribution" files (archive, checksum
and signature):

https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=tree;f=dist-archive

What should be the contents of the "pom.xml" file there so
that it will generate the checksum and signature?

[Or, is there an alternative way to get the same result?]