[COMPRESS] Compress GUI?

Roger Whitcomb
Hi all,
                I was just looking at the GUI for 7-Zip today (had to use it) and it struck me that using Apache Pivot and Commons Compress, we (someone, me perhaps, with some help) could come up with an Apache Commons Zip GUI that would be even better looking, and be a viable alternative...
                Any thoughts?  Anyone who might be interested in helping with such a project?

Thanks,
~Roger Whitcomb
Apache Pivot PMC Chair

Re: [COMPRESS] Compress GUI?

Stefan Bodewig
On 2015-10-30, Roger Whitcomb wrote:

> Any thoughts?  Anyone who might be interested in helping with such a
> project?

TBH, I hate doing GUI stuff. :-)

I can easily see that a GUI for Compress would be nice, though.  If
people want to work on a GUI and need help dealing with the Compress
library itself, I'll be happy to lend a hand.  The GUI and the Compress
library should be separate artifacts IMHO.

Stefan

Re: [COMPRESS] Compress GUI?

Donald Freeman
I could possibly come up with some time over the next several weeks to work on the UI. What technology were you thinking Swing, JavaFX??? I am not really that familiar with compress so I may need some help with the library itself.

From:"Stefan Bodewig" <[hidden email]>
Date:Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 7:22 AM
Subject:Re: [COMPRESS] Compress GUI?

On 2015-10-30, Roger Whitcomb wrote:

> Any thoughts?  Anyone who might be interested in helping with such a
> project?

TBH, I hate doing GUI stuff. :-)

I can easily see that a GUI for Compress would be nice, though.  If
people want to work on a GUI and need help dealing with the Compress
library itself, I'll be happy to lend a hand.  The GUI and the Compress
library should be separate artifacts IMHO.

Stefan

Re: [COMPRESS] Compress GUI?

Roger Whitcomb
Well, being that I'm the Apache Pivot PMC Chair, I was looking for "cross-fertilization" opportunities.  So, my preferred GUI environment would be Apache Pivot.  Of course, you're probably not familiar with it, but I think the resultant GUIs are easier to build and better-looking than Swing.  And one of the original architects of Pivot then went on to work on JavaFX, so we're pretty sure that Pivot has a good pedigree....

~Roger

From:"Stefan Bodewig" <[hidden email]>
Date:Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 7:22 AM

On 2015-10-30, Roger Whitcomb wrote:

> Any thoughts?  Anyone who might be interested in helping with such a
> project?

TBH, I hate doing GUI stuff. :-)

I can easily see that a GUI for Compress would be nice, though.  If
people want to work on a GUI and need help dealing with the Compress
library itself, I'll be happy to lend a hand.  The GUI and the Compress
library should be separate artifacts IMHO.

Stefan

Re: [COMPRESS] Compress GUI?

Donald Freeman
Roger,

I did go back and look at your previous email and had seen that you mentioned pivot. I started the initial workings of a project last night and started to read a little about pivot. I think I could pull it off given a few weeks time. Do you have any ideas of what you were thinking of from the design standpoint or should I just work something up and see where it goes? Thoughts???

From:"Roger Whitcomb" <[hidden email]>
Date:Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 2:41 PM

From:"Stefan Bodewig" <[hidden email]>
Date:Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 7:22 AM

On 2015-10-30, Roger Whitcomb wrote:

> Any thoughts?  Anyone who might be interested in helping with such a
> project?

TBH, I hate doing GUI stuff. :-)

I can easily see that a GUI for Compress would be nice, though.  If
people want to work on a GUI and need help dealing with the Compress
library itself, I'll be happy to lend a hand.  The GUI and the Compress
library should be separate artifacts IMHO.

Stefan

Re: [COMPRESS] Compress GUI?

Roger Whitcomb
Hi Don,
    That's awesome!  I was thinking of a cross between the UI of WinZip (i.e., big toolbar icons, etc.) and 7-Zip (small cheesy icons, big file browser area).  The idea would be to have clean, flat icons and maybe a split pane window with potential source files on the left and target (compressed files) on the right?  Or maybe you have two tabs at the top:  "Compress" and "Decompress" which would switch these two panes around....  I'm not sure, just throwing ideas around.  But definitely if you have ideas, please feel free to experiment.
     But, given that Pivot has several forms of file browser available, including one that leverages Commons VFS, it might be better to have the main window be the compressed targets and use the file browsers for the "Add To" file list and the "Save To" / "Expand to" target directory.  But again, just thinking aloud.

     I should mention that the VFS file browser is not in the released Pivot code (i.e., the 2.0.4 version or the 2.0.x branch), but only in "trunk".  But building "trunk" is quite easy once you get the code:  put Junit in the class path and run "ant clean package".

     So, I guess I'd like to see the Pivot Commons VFS file browser really put to the test also -- I wrote it, but have only really used it with my own VFS file system, and for HDFS files.  But, it would be awesome to be able to navigate to an HDFS file system, open up a zip file from there and expand it to a local directory (for instance).  I don't know of any other utility out there that can do that....

     I'd like to help however I can, plus definitely if you need help with Pivot, don't be afraid to ask.  You can subscribe to the Pivot mailing list(s) as well for help....

Many thanks,

From:"Roger Whitcomb" <[hidden email]>
Date:Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 2:41 PM

From:"Stefan Bodewig" <[hidden email]>