[CSV] Record Separator query

nitin mahendru
Hello All,

I am trying to read in a csv file which may be 'crlf' or 'lf' seperated.
Then I want to change a particular column, say encrypt it and then write
back a new csv with that updated column. I want to use the same record
separator as was in the input file.

Is there a way to get the record separator back from the CSVParser object ?
I am planning to use the below method to get the writer.
CSVFormat.RFC4180.withRecordSeparator(<need to add record separator).print()

For using the above I need to know the record separator upfront which I
have no clue about as the Parser object does not expose that detail.

thanks

Nitin

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

garydgregory
Hi Nitin,

You _tell_ the parser what record separator to use, the parser does not
tell you.

Gary

Nitin

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

nitin mahendru
Hi Gary,

Thanks for a quick turnaround. We are using the below code to parse our
input csv:
CSVFormat.RFC4180.withIgnoreEmptyLines(true).parse(new
InputStreamReader(this.getStreamIn(), readerCharset))

We never tell the parser what line separator to expect and it automatically
figures it out. What I want to know is that is it possible to extract this
knowledge from the CSVParser object returned by the above as to what line
separator it found ?

-Nitin

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nitin,
>
> You _tell_ the parser what record separator to use, the parser does not
> tell you.
>
> Gary
>

> On Aug 8, 2017 16:13, "nitin mahendru" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to read in a csv file which may be 'crlf' or 'lf' seperated.
> Then I want to change a particular column, say encrypt it and then write
> back a new csv with that updated column. I want to use the same record
> separator as was in the input file.
>
> Is there a way to get the record separator back from the CSVParser object ?
> I am planning to use the below method to get the writer.
> CSVFormat.RFC4180.withRecordSeparator(<need to add record
> separator).print()
>
> For using the above I need to know the record separator upfront which I
> have no clue about as the Parser object does not expose that detail.
>
> thanks
>
> Nitin

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

Tim Cronin
you can extend the formats and set the delimiter that way.

https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-csv/archives/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/commons/csv/CSVFormat.html

https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-csv/archives/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/commons/csv/CSVFormat.html#withDelimiter-char-

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 12:51 PM, nitin mahendru <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Thanks for a quick turnaround. We are using the below code to parse our
> input csv:
> CSVFormat.RFC4180.withIgnoreEmptyLines(true).parse(new
> InputStreamReader(this.getStreamIn(), readerCharset))
>
> We never tell the parser what line separator to expect and it automatically
> figures it out. What I want to know is that is it possible to extract this
> knowledge from the CSVParser object returned by the above as to what line
> separator it found ?
>
> -Nitin
>

> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Nitin,
> >
> > You _tell_ the parser what record separator to use, the parser does not
> > tell you.
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > On Aug 8, 2017 16:13, "nitin mahendru" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am trying to read in a csv file which may be 'crlf' or 'lf' seperated.
> > Then I want to change a particular column, say encrypt it and then write
> > back a new csv with that updated column. I want to use the same record
> > separator as was in the input file.
> >
> > Is there a way to get the record separator back from the CSVParser
> object ?
> > I am planning to use the below method to get the writer.
> > CSVFormat.RFC4180.withRecordSeparator(<need to add record
> > separator).print()
> >
> > For using the above I need to know the record separator upfront which I
> > have no clue about as the Parser object does not expose that detail.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Nitin

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

nitin mahendru
Hi Tim,

I am not worried about the delimiter. I am worried about the "line
seperator". We are in the process of writing a multi platform application.
So we need to be able to accept CSVs generated with Windows/Linux type Line
endings. While parsing the parser can identify that information, but it
does expose it somewhere.
We want to know if there is a way to get that information out ?

Thanks

Nitin

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:58 AM Tim Cronin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> you can extend the formats and set the delimiter that way.
>

> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-csv/archives/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/commons/csv/CSVFormat.html
>

> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-csv/archives/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/commons/csv/CSVFormat.html#withDelimiter-char-
>
> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 12:51 PM, nitin mahendru <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Gary,
> >
> > Thanks for a quick turnaround. We are using the below code to parse our
> > input csv:
> > CSVFormat.RFC4180.withIgnoreEmptyLines(true).parse(new
> > InputStreamReader(this.getStreamIn(), readerCharset))
> >
> > We never tell the parser what line separator to expect and it
> automatically
> > figures it out. What I want to know is that is it possible to extract
> this
> > knowledge from the CSVParser object returned by the above as to what line
> > separator it found ?
> >
> > -Nitin
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Nitin,
> > >
> > > You _tell_ the parser what record separator to use, the parser does not
> > > tell you.
> > >
> > > Gary
> > >

> > > On Aug 8, 2017 16:13, "nitin mahendru" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I am trying to read in a csv file which may be 'crlf' or 'lf'
> seperated.
> > > Then I want to change a particular column, say encrypt it and then
> write
> > > back a new csv with that updated column. I want to use the same record
> > > separator as was in the input file.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to get the record separator back from the CSVParser
> > object ?
> > > I am planning to use the below method to get the writer.
> > > CSVFormat.RFC4180.withRecordSeparator(<need to add record
> > > separator).print()
> > >
> > > For using the above I need to know the record separator upfront which I
> > > have no clue about as the Parser object does not expose that detail.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > Nitin

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

If you look at the Javadoc or the code for CSVFormat.RFC4180 you will see
that this format uses CR LF.

Gary

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:51 AM, nitin mahendru <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Thanks for a quick turnaround. We are using the below code to parse our
> input csv:
> CSVFormat.RFC4180.withIgnoreEmptyLines(true).parse(new
> InputStreamReader(this.getStreamIn(), readerCharset))
>
> We never tell the parser what line separator to expect and it automatically
> figures it out. What I want to know is that is it possible to extract this
> knowledge from the CSVParser object returned by the above as to what line
> separator it found ?
>
> -Nitin
>

> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Nitin,
> >
> > You _tell_ the parser what record separator to use, the parser does not
> > tell you.
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > On Aug 8, 2017 16:13, "nitin mahendru" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am trying to read in a csv file which may be 'crlf' or 'lf' seperated.
> > Then I want to change a particular column, say encrypt it and then write
> > back a new csv with that updated column. I want to use the same record
> > separator as was in the input file.
> >
> > Is there a way to get the record separator back from the CSVParser
> object ?
> > I am planning to use the below method to get the writer.
> > CSVFormat.RFC4180.withRecordSeparator(<need to add record
> > separator).print()
> >
> > For using the above I need to know the record separator upfront which I
> > have no clue about as the Parser object does not expose that detail.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Nitin

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

Guang Chao
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 6:12 AM, nitin mahendru <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to read in a csv file which may be 'crlf' or 'lf' seperated.
> Then I want to change a particular column, say encrypt it and then write
> back a new csv with that updated column. I want to use the same record
> separator as was in the input file.
>
> Is there a way to get the record separator back from the CSVParser object ?
> I am planning to use the below method to get the writer.
> CSVFormat.RFC4180.withRecordSeparator(<need to add record
> separator).print()
>
> For using the above I need to know the record separator upfront which I
> have no clue about as the Parser object does not expose that detail.
>
> thanks
>
> Nitin

I think CSVParser is strict and may not work for both LF and CRLF.  Maybe
try to scan the file first and see if line ending is lf or crlf, and then
use a corresponding CSVParser instance that can handle each case.

Guang <http://javadevnotes.com/java-string-split-newline-examples>

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

garydgregory
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Guang Chao <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 6:12 AM, nitin mahendru <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am trying to read in a csv file which may be 'crlf' or 'lf' seperated.
> > Then I want to change a particular column, say encrypt it and then write
> > back a new csv with that updated column. I want to use the same record
> > separator as was in the input file.
> >
> > Is there a way to get the record separator back from the CSVParser
> object ?
> > I am planning to use the below method to get the writer.
> > CSVFormat.RFC4180.withRecordSeparator(<need to add record
> > separator).print()
> >
> > For using the above I need to know the record separator upfront which I
> > have no clue about as the Parser object does not expose that detail.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Nitin
> >

> I think CSVParser is strict and may not work for both LF and CRLF.  Maybe
> try to scan the file first and see if line ending is lf or crlf, and then
> use a corresponding CSVParser instance that can handle each case.

That's not how it works now but feel free to provide a PR on GitHub ;-)

> Guang <http://javadevnotes.com/java-string-split-newline-examples>

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

nitin mahendru
Hello All,

I raised a JIRA ticket(CSV-214) to make some changes to the code for what I
a trying to do. The description on the ticket might help explain things
better. Now I am trying to clone the repo to make a pull request but I am
just stuck at this:

git -c http.sslVerify=false clone https://github.com/apache/commons-csv.git
Cloning into 'commons-csv'...
fatal: https://github.com/apache/commons-csv.git/info/refs not valid: is
this a git repository?

Any Idea about this ?

Thanks

Nitin

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:17 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Guang Chao <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 6:12 AM, nitin mahendru <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I am trying to read in a csv file which may be 'crlf' or 'lf'
> seperated.
> > > Then I want to change a particular column, say encrypt it and then
> write
> > > back a new csv with that updated column. I want to use the same record
> > > separator as was in the input file.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to get the record separator back from the CSVParser
> > object ?
> > > I am planning to use the below method to get the writer.
> > > CSVFormat.RFC4180.withRecordSeparator(<need to add record
> > > separator).print()
> > >
> > > For using the above I need to know the record separator upfront which I
> > > have no clue about as the Parser object does not expose that detail.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > Nitin
> > >

> > I think CSVParser is strict and may not work for both LF and CRLF.  Maybe
> > try to scan the file first and see if line ending is lf or crlf, and then
> > use a corresponding CSVParser instance that can handle each case.
> >

> That's not how it works now but feel free to provide a PR on GitHub ;-)
>
> Gary
>

> > --
> > Guang <http://javadevnotes.com/java-string-split-newline-examples>

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

garydgregory
Use the button provided by GitHub to copy the repo URL to the clipboard,
then you can just use "git clone <PASTE>"

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM, nitin mahendru <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I raised a JIRA ticket(CSV-214) to make some changes to the code for what I
> a trying to do. The description on the ticket might help explain things
> better. Now I am trying to clone the repo to make a pull request but I am
> just stuck at this:
>
> git -c http.sslVerify=false clone https://github.com/apache/
> commons-csv.git
> Cloning into 'commons-csv'...
> fatal: https://github.com/apache/commons-csv.git/info/refs not valid: is
> this a git repository?
>

> Any Idea about this ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nitin
>

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:17 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Guang Chao <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 6:12 AM, nitin mahendru <
> > [hidden email]

> > seperated.
> > write
> record

> > > object ?

> which I

> > > I think CSVParser is strict and may not work for both LF and CRLF.
> Maybe
> > > try to scan the file first and see if line ending is lf or crlf, and
> then
> > > use a corresponding CSVParser instance that can handle each case.
> > >

> > That's not how it works now but feel free to provide a PR on GitHub ;-)
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > > --
> > > Guang <http://javadevnotes.com/java-string-split-newline-examples>

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

nitin mahendru
Thanks Greg.
Well the problem actually was that I am behind a proxy.  So my mistake.
Sorry for that.

I have raised a pull request and a JIRA item CSV-214. Looking forward to
your feedback.

Thanks

Nitin

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Use the button provided by GitHub to copy the repo URL to the clipboard,
> then you can just use "git clone <PASTE>"
>
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM, nitin mahendru <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I raised a JIRA ticket(CSV-214) to make some changes to the code for
> what I
> > a trying to do. The description on the ticket might help explain things
> > better. Now I am trying to clone the repo to make a pull request but I am
> > just stuck at this:
> >
> > git -c http.sslVerify=false clone https://github.com/apache/
> > commons-csv.git
> > Cloning into 'commons-csv'...
> > fatal: https://github.com/apache/commons-csv.git/info/refs not valid: is
> > this a git repository?
> >

> > Any Idea about this ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Nitin
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:17 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> > > [hidden email]

> > > seperated.
> > > write
> > record

> > which I
> detail.

> > Maybe
> > then
> > > >

> > > That's not how it works now but feel free to provide a PR on GitHub ;-)
> > >
> > > Gary

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

nitin mahendru
Thanks for accepting the pull request.
Any pointers on when the version 1.5 will be released ?

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM nitin mahendru <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks Greg.
> Well the problem actually was that I am behind a proxy.  So my mistake.
> Sorry for that.
>
> I have raised a pull request and a JIRA item CSV-214. Looking forward to
> your feedback.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nitin
>

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Use the button provided by GitHub to copy the repo URL to the clipboard,
>> then you can just use "git clone <PASTE>"
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM, nitin mahendru <
>> [hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello All,
>> >
>> > I raised a JIRA ticket(CSV-214) to make some changes to the code for
>> what I
>> > a trying to do. The description on the ticket might help explain things
>> > better. Now I am trying to clone the repo to make a pull request but I
>> am
>> > just stuck at this:
>> >
>> > git -c http.sslVerify=false clone https://github.com/apache/
>> > commons-csv.git
>> > Cloning into 'commons-csv'...
>> > fatal: https://github.com/apache/commons-csv.git/info/refs not valid:
>> is
>> > this a git repository?
>> >

>> > Any Idea about this ?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Nitin

>> > record

>> > which I
>> detail.

>> > Maybe
>> > then

>> ;-)

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

garydgregory
There is no one currently slated to volunteer to RM the release. Good time
to ask though!

Do have a committer here willing to volunteer to release Commons CSV 1.5?

Thank you,
Gary

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:27 PM, nitin mahendru <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for accepting the pull request.
> Any pointers on when the version 1.5 will be released ?
>

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM nitin mahendru <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Greg.
> > Well the problem actually was that I am behind a proxy.  So my mistake.
> > Sorry for that.
> >
> > I have raised a pull request and a JIRA item CSV-214. Looking forward to
> > your feedback.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Nitin
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Use the button provided by GitHub to copy the repo URL to the clipboard,
> >> then you can just use "git clone <PASTE>"
> >>
> >> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM, nitin mahendru <
> >> [hidden email]>

> >> what I
> things
> >> am

> >> is

> [hidden email]

> then

> CSVParser

> >> detail.

> and

> >> ;-)

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Hmmm, for a while I have been considering learning how to release Commons components. Maybe I could start with Commons CSV, though I could do with some help :) I will start reading the docs at https://commons.apache.org/releases/index.html. Is there anything else I need to know to act as RM?
CheersBruno

wrote:

> Thanks for accepting the pull request.
> Any pointers on when the version 1.5 will be released ?
>

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM nitin mahendru <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Greg.
> > Well the problem actually was that I am behind a proxy.  So my mistake.
> > Sorry for that.
> >
> > I have raised a pull request and a JIRA item CSV-214. Looking forward to
> > your feedback.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Nitin
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Use the button provided by GitHub to copy the repo URL to the clipboard,
> >> then you can just use "git clone <PASTE>"
> >>
> >> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM, nitin mahendru <
> >> [hidden email]>

> >> what I
> things
> >> am

> >> is

> [hidden email]

> then

> CSVParser

> >> detail.

> and

> >> ;-)

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

garydgregory
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm, for a while I have been considering learning how to release Commons
> components. Maybe I could start with Commons CSV, though I could do with
> some help :) I will start reading the docs at https://commons.apache.org/
> releases/index.html. Is there anything else I need to know to act as RM?

Patience :-) there are lots of details.

Gary

> CheersBruno
>
> On Sunday, 13 August 2017, 4:08:36 AM NZST, Gary Gregory <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no one currently slated to volunteer to RM the release. Good time
> to ask though!
>
> Do have a committer here willing to volunteer to release Commons CSV 1.5?
>
> Thank you,
> Gary
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:27 PM, nitin mahendru <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for accepting the pull request.
> > Any pointers on when the version 1.5 will be released ?
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM nitin mahendru <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Greg.
> > > Well the problem actually was that I am behind a proxy.  So my mistake.
> > > Sorry for that.
> > >
> > > I have raised a pull request and a JIRA item CSV-214. Looking forward
> > > your feedback.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Nitin

> clipboard,

> > things
> but I

> valid:

> > [hidden email]

> > then
> same

> > CSVParser

> upfront

> CRLF.
> > and
> case.

> GitHub

> string-split-newline-examples

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Ok, so uploaded my keys, followed the steps at https://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html, used the commit logs in other commons repositories to see what was done for a new release.

I stopped just before the step to Tag the Release Candidate.

Should I proceed and give it a try at my first attempt at releasing a commons component and prepare the vote for CSV 1.5 RC1?

Or should we wait for the mutable record ongoing discussion in the mailing list?

If anyone would like to take a peek and check if I missed anything before I call the vote, any feedback would be welcome :) https://github.com/apache/commons-csv/compare/release...kinow:release?expand=1

Cheers
Bruno

________________________________
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hmmm, for a while I have been considering learning how to release Commons components. Maybe I could start with Commons CSV, though I could do with some help :) I will start reading the docs at https://commons.apache.org/ releases/index.html. Is there anything else I need to know to act as RM?

Patience :-) there are lots of details.

Gary

>  CheersBruno
>

> On Sunday, 13 August 2017, 4:08:36 AM NZST, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no one currently slated to volunteer to RM the release. Good time
> to ask though!
>
> Do have a committer here willing to volunteer to release Commons CSV 1.5?
>
> Thank you,
> Gary
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:27 PM, nitin mahendru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for accepting the pull request.
>> Any pointers on when the version 1.5 will be released ?
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM nitin mahendru <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks Greg.
>> > Well the problem actually was that I am behind a proxy.  So my mistake.
>> > Sorry for that.
>> >
>> > I have raised a pull request and a JIRA item CSV-214. Looking forward to
>> > your feedback.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Nitin

>> things

>> [hidden email]

>> then

>> CSVParser

>> and

Re: [CSV] Record Separator query

garydgregory
Hi Bruno,

I think it is fine to proceed with a release for 1.5. The code seems stable
to me now. The mutable record issue does not sound settled and fully baked
to me. I like RERO and since you've kindly volunteered to RM this release,
I'd rather not break your stride.

Gary

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, so uploaded my keys, followed the steps at https://commons.apache.org/
> releases/prepare.html, used the commit logs in other commons repositories
> to see what was done for a new release.
>
> I stopped just before the step to Tag the Release Candidate.
>
> Should I proceed and give it a try at my first attempt at releasing a
> commons component and prepare the vote for CSV 1.5 RC1?
>
> Or should we wait for the mutable record ongoing discussion in the mailing
> list?
>
> If anyone would like to take a peek and check if I missed anything before
> I call the vote, any feedback would be welcome :)
> https://github.com/apache/commons-csv/compare/release...
> kinow:release?expand=1
>
> Cheers
> Bruno

+1 for RERO. Everything ready for the vote. Let's see how many RC's I'll need to get CSV 1.5 out :)
Thanks!Bruno

From: Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>To: Bruno P. Kinoshita <[hidden email]>Cc: Commons Users List <[hidden email]>Sent: Sunday, 27 August 2017, 2:20:19 AM NZSTSubject: Re: [CSV] Record Separator query
Hi Bruno,