Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
Folks,

The Colt library contains a pretty good core start to associative
containers on basic types: http://acs.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt. The
license looks like it might be an 'A'. I've posted a JIRA to legal to
check.

--benson

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Ted Dunning
Mahout has already sucked Colt in.  If you are interested in modernizing it,
that might be a good place to do it.

We are committed to maintaining its status as an independent library and are
avoiding injecting any other dependencies.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:

> The Colt library contains a pretty good core start to associative
> containers on basic types: http://acs.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt<http://acs.lbl.gov/%7Ehoschek/colt>.
> The
> license looks like it might be an 'A'. I've posted a JIRA to legal to
> check.

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
I'm trying to make a ASL replacement for Trove, so, license
permitting, I will be forking.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mahout has already sucked Colt in.  If you are interested in modernizing it,
> that might be a good place to do it.
>
> We are committed to maintaining its status as an independent library and are
> avoiding injecting any other dependencies.
>
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> The Colt library contains a pretty good core start to associative
>> containers on basic types: http://acs.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt<http://acs.lbl.gov/%7Ehoschek/colt>.
>> The
>> license looks like it might be an 'A'. I've posted a JIRA to legal to
>> check.

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Ted Dunning
As you like.  Forking from the mahout version might be handy for you since
it has already had all the GPL parts stripped out.

Building a trove replace in Mahout's Colt would be nice for us in Mahout
since we need basically the same thing as well.  As I mentioned, we want the
Colt part to remain separable from the rest of Mahout.  The thought is that
Colt itself may want to become either top-level or part of commons and that
at the least, there are potential consumers of Colt who would rather not
have any Hadoop dependencies.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I'm trying to make a ASL replacement for Trove, so, license
> permitting, I will be forking.
>
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Mahout has already sucked Colt in.  If you are interested in modernizing
> it,
> > that might be a good place to do it.

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
Did you already get a legal OK to incorporate things with that CERN notice?

I'm very focused on the collections.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As you like.  Forking from the mahout version might be handy for you since
> it has already had all the GPL parts stripped out.
>
> Building a trove replace in Mahout's Colt would be nice for us in Mahout
> since we need basically the same thing as well.  As I mentioned, we want the
> Colt part to remain separable from the rest of Mahout.  The thought is that
> Colt itself may want to become either top-level or part of commons and that
> at the least, there are potential consumers of Colt who would rather not
> have any Hadoop dependencies.
>

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to make a ASL replacement for Trove, so, license
>> permitting, I will be forking.
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Mahout has already sucked Colt in.  If you are interested in modernizing
>> it,
>> > that might be a good place to do it.

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Niall Pemberton
On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The Colt library contains a pretty good core start to associative
> containers on basic types: http://acs.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt. The
> license looks like it might be an 'A'. I've posted a JIRA to legal to
> check.

The usual procedure to bring a code base into the ASF is to go through
the IP Clearance process:

   http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

Until thats done then AFAIC you can't bring this code into commons. As
you intend to fork the code without getting a software grant from the
author(s) then I don't know how this works here at the ASF - and I
have add comments along those lines to the legal JIRA ticket you
created:

Niall

> --benson

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
Um, in my understanding, if there is source code sitting out there
under a 'class A' license, it can be incorporated without being
granted/cleared. I've posted a JIRA to legal-discuss about this
license and I'm not checking anything in until I hear back.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Niall Pemberton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> The Colt library contains a pretty good core start to associative
>> containers on basic types: http://acs.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt. The
>> license looks like it might be an 'A'. I've posted a JIRA to legal to
>> check.
>
> The usual procedure to bring a code base into the ASF is to go through
> the IP Clearance process:
>
>   http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> Until thats done then AFAIC you can't bring this code into commons. As
> you intend to fork the code without getting a software grant from the
> author(s) then I don't know how this works here at the ASF - and I
> have add comments along those lines to the legal JIRA ticket you
> created:
>
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-66
>
> Niall
>
>> --benson

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
Oh, drat, NOW I see your addition to the JIRA. Sorry about that.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> The Colt library contains a pretty good core start to associative
>> containers on basic types: http://acs.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt. The
>> license looks like it might be an 'A'. I've posted a JIRA to legal to
>> check.
>
> The usual procedure to bring a code base into the ASF is to go through
> the IP Clearance process:
>
>   http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> Until thats done then AFAIC you can't bring this code into commons. As
> you intend to fork the code without getting a software grant from the
> author(s) then I don't know how this works here at the ASF - and I
> have add comments along those lines to the legal JIRA ticket you
> created:
>
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-66
>
> Niall
>
>> --benson

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
Ted, I just figured out why I should take you up on your offer. Where
in svn is the Mahout fork?

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mahout has already sucked Colt in.  If you are interested in modernizing it,
> that might be a good place to do it.
>
> We are committed to maintaining its status as an independent library and are
> avoiding injecting any other dependencies.
>
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> The Colt library contains a pretty good core start to associative
>> containers on basic types: http://acs.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt<http://acs.lbl.gov/%7Ehoschek/colt>.
>> The
>> license looks like it might be an 'A'. I've posted a JIRA to legal to
>> check.

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Ted Dunning
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk is the overall
directory.  Colt is just below that.  I believe that the pom in the subdir
will build colt without the top-level, but you know more about maven than I
do.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Ted, I just figured out why I should take you up on your offer. Where
> in svn is the Mahout fork?
>
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Mahout has already sucked Colt in.  If you are interested in modernizing
> it,
> > that might be a good place to do it.
> >
> > We are committed to maintaining its status as an independent library and
> are
> > avoiding injecting any other dependencies.
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >

> >> The Colt library contains a pretty good core start to associative
> >> containers on basic types: http://acs.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt<http://acs.lbl.gov/%7Ehoschek/colt>
> <http://acs.lbl.gov/%7Ehoschek/colt>.
> >> The
> >> license looks like it might be an 'A'. I've posted a JIRA to legal to
> >> check.

Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
I just checked this out and there is no colt in there. I got rev 888157.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk is the overall
> directory.  Colt is just below that.  I believe that the pom in the subdir
> will build colt without the top-level, but you know more about maven than I
> do.
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Ted, I just figured out why I should take you up on your offer. Where
>> in svn is the Mahout fork?
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Mahout has already sucked Colt in.  If you are interested in modernizing
>> it,
>> > that might be a good place to do it.
>> >
>> > We are committed to maintaining its status as an independent library and
>> are
>> > avoiding injecting any other dependencies.

>> <http://acs.lbl.gov/%7Ehoschek/colt>.

> Ted Dunning, CTO
> DeepDyve

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Jake Mannix
It's in the module now called "matrix" - the name "colt" is tradmarked by
CERN, so
we're not using that name as such.

  -jake

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I just checked this out and there is no colt in there. I got rev 888157.
>

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk is the overall
> > directory.  Colt is just below that.  I believe that the pom in the
> subdir
> > will build colt without the top-level, but you know more about maven than
> > do.
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Ted, I just figured out why I should take you up on your offer. Where
> >> in svn is the Mahout fork?

> modernizing
> >> it,

> and
> >> are

> [hidden email]

> <http://acs.lbl.gov/%7Ehoschek/colt>
> >> <http://acs.lbl.gov/%7Ehoschek/colt>.

> > --
> > Ted Dunning, CTO
> > DeepDyve

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
Aha, you didn't take the part I care about most, but your grab of the
jet stuff may help me grab the collections stuff. This is almost messy
enough for me to go back to coding from scratch from Knuth.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Jake Mannix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's in the module now called "matrix" - the name "colt" is tradmarked by
> CERN, so
> we're not using that name as such.
>
>  -jake
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I just checked this out and there is no colt in there. I got rev 888157.
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk is the overall
>> > directory.  Colt is just below that.  I believe that the pom in the
>> subdir
>> > will build colt without the top-level, but you know more about maven than
>> > do.

>> modernizing

>> and

>> [hidden email]

>> <http://acs.lbl.gov/%7Ehoschek/colt>

>> > --
>> > Ted Dunning, CTO
>> > DeepDyve

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Ted Dunning
Which part did you care about?

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Aha, you didn't take the part I care about most, but your grab of the
> jet stuff may help me grab the collections stuff. This is almost messy
> enough for me to go back to coding from scratch from Knuth.

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
maps.

On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which part did you care about?
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
>> Aha, you didn't take the part I care about most, but your grab of the
>> jet stuff may help me grab the collections stuff. This is almost
>> messy
>> enough for me to go back to coding from scratch from Knuth.

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Ted Dunning
Bring them in!  We will likely need them as well.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:

> maps.
>

> On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Which part did you care about?
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Aha, you didn't take the part I care about most, but your grab of the
>>> jet stuff may help me grab the collections stuff. This is almost messy
>>> enough for me to go back to coding from scratch from Knuth.

Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
So, the silence is rather noisy in response to the discussion about
commons-math. Commons PMC members, what's the story here? Why is it
apparently easy for me to tee up code for primitives and impossible
for the corresponding activity for -math?

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bring them in!  We will likely need them as well.
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> maps.
>>

>> On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Which part did you care about?
>>>
>>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]
>>>
>>>  Aha, you didn't take the part I care about most, but your grab of the

> Ted Dunning, CTO
> DeepDyve

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Siegfried Goeschl
Hi Benson,

I would assume that contributing to commons-math requires some good math
background whereas primitives seem a little bit easier ... :-)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Benson Margulies wrote:

> So, the silence is rather noisy in response to the discussion about
> commons-math. Commons PMC members, what's the story here? Why is it
> apparently easy for me to tee up code for primitives and impossible
> for the corresponding activity for -math?
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Bring them in!  We will likely need them as well.
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>

>>> maps.
>>>

>>> On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Which part did you care about?

>> --
>> Ted Dunning, CTO
>> DeepDyve

Re: Colt vs. Primitives

Benson Margulies
Yes, of course. I'm not qualified to do much for Math, but Ted and
others at Mahout are.