Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Oberhuber, Martin
Hi all,

just wondering, what's currently holding off a release of Commons Net
1.5 / 2.0?

Many issues have been sorted out after the last release candidates, when
can
we expect a new RC to review? Is there anything particular that I could
help
with?

Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Rory Winston
Martin/Sebb

Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with
where we're at.

Rory

Oberhuber, Martin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just wondering, what's currently holding off a release of Commons Net
> 1.5 / 2.0?
>
> Many issues have been sorted out after the last release candidates, when
> can
> we expect a new RC to review? Is there anything particular that I could
> help
> with?

> Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
> Target Management Project Lead, DSDP PMC Member
> http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Niall Pemberton
On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Martin/Sebb
>
> Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with where
> we're at.

I just ran the build on both the trunk and net 2 branch - all looks
good - the only thing I noticed is for 1.5/trunk the clirr report is
now highlighting the changes[1][2] to make some fields final:
  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/net/clirr-report.html

Personally I think this is OK since the fact those were not final
originally was a mistake.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=636917
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=636919

Niall

> Rory
>
> Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>  just wondering, what's currently holding off a release of Commons Net
>> 1.5 / 2.0?
>>  Many issues have been sorted out after the last release candidates, when
>> can
>> we expect a new RC to review? Is there anything particular that I could
>> help
>> with?
>>  Cheers,
>> --
>> Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
>> Target Management Project Lead, DSDP PMC Member
>> http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Rory Winston
Great! Thanks for the feedback, Niall.

Cheers
Rory

Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Martin/Sebb
>>
>> Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with where
>> we're at.
>>

> I just ran the build on both the trunk and net 2 branch - all looks
> good - the only thing I noticed is for 1.5/trunk the clirr report is
> now highlighting the changes[1][2] to make some fields final:
>   http://people.apache.org/~niallp/net/clirr-report.html
>
> Personally I think this is OK since the fact those were not final
> originally was a mistake.
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=636917
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=636919
>
> Niall
>

>> Rory
>>
>> Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>  just wondering, what's currently holding off a release of Commons Net
>>> 1.5 / 2.0?
>>>  Many issues have been sorted out after the last release candidates, when
>>> can
>>> we expect a new RC to review? Is there anything particular that I could
>>> help
>>> with?
>>>  Cheers,
>>> --
>>> Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
>>> Target Management Project Lead, DSDP PMC Member
>>> http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Rahul Akolkar
On 5/17/08, Niall Pemberton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > Martin/Sebb
>  >
>  > Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with where
>  > we're at.
>

> I just ran the build on both the trunk and net 2 branch - all looks
>  good - the only thing I noticed is for 1.5/trunk the clirr report is
>  now highlighting the changes[1][2] to make some fields final:
>   http://people.apache.org/~niallp/net/clirr-report.html
>
>  Personally I think this is OK since the fact those were not final
>  originally was a mistake.

<snip/>

A highly conspicuous note about this somewhere towards the beginning
of the release notes would be good to have.

-Rahul

>  [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=636917
>  [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=636919
>

>  Niall
>

>  > Rory
>  >
>  > Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
>  >>
>  >> Hi all,
>  >>  just wondering, what's currently holding off a release of Commons Net
>  >> 1.5 / 2.0?
>  >>  Many issues have been sorted out after the last release candidates, when
>  >> can
>  >> we expect a new RC to review? Is there anything particular that I could
>  >> help
>  >> with?
>  >>  Cheers,
>  >> --
>  >> Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
>  >> Target Management Project Lead, DSDP PMC Member
>  >> http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm
>  >>
>  >>

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Niklas Gustavsson
On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with where
> we're at.

I still got this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NET-217

I haven't look into any depth at why it's happening, but changing the
test to using unique ports for each of the tests (6900, 6901, 6902...)
make JUnit all happy. Should I commit this fix? With it, I would be
happy to see 2.0 released.

/niklas

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

sebb-2-2
On 19/05/2008, Niklas Gustavsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with where
>  > we're at.
>

> I still got this issue:
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NET-217
>
>  I haven't look into any depth at why it's happening, but changing the
>  test to using unique ports for each of the tests (6900, 6901, 6902...)
>  make JUnit all happy. Should I commit this fix? With it, I would be
>  happy to see 2.0 released.

I think I saw the same error, but only once, so I assumed it was
something else happening on my system.

If it's occurring regularly, then there may be a problem with
releasing the port from previous tests in the same class.

However, I have just seen a problem in the TFTPServer code - the
constructors call launch() which creates a new thread and starts it.
This is not thread-safe, as the class is not guaranteed to be fully
constructed until after the constructor has completed. There are some
other thread-safety problems too; I'll raise a JIRA.

I don't know if it relates to the test failure or not - I suppose the
unsafe constructor could mean that shutdown does not happen reliably.

>  /niklas

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

I think 1.5 is closer to being ready for a release than 2.0.

Given that any bugs that are found in 1.5 are probably going to be
present in 2.0 as well, I would like to suggest that 1.5 is released
first, and 2.0 after there has been some time for people to use 1.5 in
earnest.

Are there any JIRA issues which still need to be fixed for 1.5?

On 17/05/2008, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Martin/Sebb
>
>  Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with
> where we're at.
>
>  Rory
>

>  Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >  just wondering, what's currently holding off a release of Commons Net
> > 1.5 / 2.0?
> >  Many issues have been sorted out after the last release candidates, when
> > can
> > we expect a new RC to review? Is there anything particular that I could
> > help
> > with?
> >  Cheers,
> > --
> > Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
> > Target Management Project Lead, DSDP PMC Member
> > http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Niklas Gustavsson
I would prefer to get 2.0 out there as well. I would rather see us be
fixing bugs as found by users than keeping it around for even longer
in the current state. It's time to get it out there.

/niklas

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 5:29 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I saw the same error, but only once, so I assumed it was
> something else happening on my system.
>
> If it's occurring regularly, then there may be a problem with
> releasing the port from previous tests in the same class.

Yeah, I get it every time I build in Maven. That's on my Ubuntu system.

/niklas

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

sebb-2-2
On 19/05/2008, Niklas Gustavsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 5:29 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > I think I saw the same error, but only once, so I assumed it was
>  > something else happening on my system.
>  >
>  > If it's occurring regularly, then there may be a problem with
>  > releasing the port from previous tests in the same class.
>

> Yeah, I get it every time I build in Maven. That's on my Ubuntu system.

Would you be able to try the patches I just attached to NET-220?

That should be enough to make the TFTPServer class threadsafe, and may
address the shutdown problem.

On 5/19/08, Niklas Gustavsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would prefer to get 2.0 out there as well. I would rather see us be
>  fixing bugs as found by users than keeping it around for even longer
>  in the current state. It's time to get it out there.

<snip/>

See previous comments on the topic:

  http://markmail.org/message/cxyqwzwfsu3xfu4e

-Rahul

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Rahul Akolkar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/19/08, Niklas Gustavsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would prefer to get 2.0 out there as well. I would rather see us be
>>  fixing bugs as found by users than keeping it around for even longer
>>  in the current state. It's time to get it out there.
>>
> <snip/>
>
> See previous comments on the topic:
>
>  http://markmail.org/message/cxyqwzwfsu3xfu4e

Yeah, the issues that are highlighted in that thread must obviously be
fixed. From the thread I understand that Rory already seem to have
addressed some of them. Maybe we need to go through them and verify
that that is the case.

/niklas

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Rory Winston
Hi guys

Re: the original vote thread, these issues have all been resolved (a
number of people pitched in and helped in various ways), so I think we
may be ready to cut another release.

I would also be very keen to just get it out there and fix bugs if and
as occur. Theres nothing approaching a blocker severity in there right now.

Niklas, I dont see anything wrong with using unique ports for the TFTP
JUnit tests - feel free to commit to the 2.0 branch.

Sebb has applied the patches for the VMS permissioning (which was the
only other significant enhancement outstanding for these releases).

I think we're good to go.

Rory

Niklas Gustavsson wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Rahul Akolkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 5/19/08, Niklas Gustavsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I would prefer to get 2.0 out there as well. I would rather see us be
>>>  fixing bugs as found by users than keeping it around for even longer
>>>  in the current state. It's time to get it out there.
>>>

>> <snip/>
>>
>> See previous comments on the topic:
>>
>>  http://markmail.org/message/cxyqwzwfsu3xfu4e
>>

> Yeah, the issues that are highlighted in that thread must obviously be
> fixed. From the thread I understand that Rory already seem to have
> addressed some of them. Maybe we need to go through them and verify
> that that is the case.
>
> /niklas

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Rory Winston
 >Niklas, I dont see anything wrong with using unique ports for the TFTP
JUnit tests - feel free to commit to the 2.0 branch.

That is, unless Sebb's changes fix the issue.

Rory

Rory Winston wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Re: the original vote thread, these issues have all been resolved (a
> number of people pitched in and helped in various ways), so I think we
> may be ready to cut another release.
>
> I would also be very keen to just get it out there and fix bugs if and
> as occur. Theres nothing approaching a blocker severity in there right
> now.
>
> Niklas, I dont see anything wrong with using unique ports for the TFTP
> JUnit tests - feel free to commit to the 2.0 branch.
>
> Sebb has applied the patches for the VMS permissioning (which was the
> only other significant enhancement outstanding for these releases).
>
> I think we're good to go.
>
> Rory
>
> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Rahul Akolkar
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> <snip/>
>>>
>>> See previous comments on the topic:
>>>
>>>  http://markmail.org/message/cxyqwzwfsu3xfu4e
>>>

>> Yeah, the issues that are highlighted in that thread must obviously be
>> fixed. From the thread I understand that Rory already seem to have
>> addressed some of them. Maybe we need to go through them and verify
>> that that is the case.
>>
>> /niklas

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Niall Pemberton
From a quick scan of Net 2.0 the there has been the following
re-organization in Net 2.0:

o.a.c.n.CharGenTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.chargen package
o.a.c.n.CharGenUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.chargen package
o.a.c.n.DaytimeTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.daytime package
o.a.c.n.DaytimeUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.daytime package
o.a.c.n.DiscardTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.discard package
o.a.c.n.DiscardUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.discard package
o.a.c.n.EchoTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.echo package
o.a.c.n.EchoUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.echo package
o.a.c.n.FingerClient moved to o.a.c.n.finger package
o.a.c.n.TimeTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.time package
o.a.c.n.TimeUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.time package
o.a.c.n.WhoisClient moved to o.a.c.n.whois package

Are these package moves necessary - looks like were just going to
inflict unecessary pain on the users? If the Net devs still think its
a good idea, then it would provide users with an upgrade path if the
the new packages are added in Net 1.5 and the old classes with the old
package names deprecated.

Niall

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would prefer to get 2.0 out there as well. I would rather see us be
> fixing bugs as found by users than keeping it around for even longer
> in the current state. It's time to get it out there.
>
> /niklas
>
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think 1.5 is closer to being ready for a release than 2.0.
>>
>> Given that any bugs that are found in 1.5 are probably going to be
>> present in 2.0 as well, I would like to suggest that 1.5 is released
>> first, and 2.0 after there has been some time for people to use 1.5 in
>> earnest.
>>
>> Are there any JIRA issues which still need to be fixed for 1.5?
>>

>> On 17/05/2008, Rory Winston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Martin/Sebb
>>>
>>>  Are we ready to cut another RC? I can do so if you guys are happy with
>>> where we're at.
>>>
>>>  Rory

Re: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Rory Winston
I think this was just a logical reorganization of the source code. A lot
of stuff was bundled in together that probably should have been in
separate packages for clarity in the first place. I dont think these
classes are widely used at all. If they are, its a pretty simple matter
to fix (CTRL+SHIFT+O in Eclipse will fix it instantly, for instance).

Rory

Niall Pemberton wrote:

> >From a quick scan of Net 2.0 the there has been the following
> re-organization in Net 2.0:
>
> o.a.c.n.CharGenTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.chargen package
> o.a.c.n.CharGenUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.chargen package
> o.a.c.n.DaytimeTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.daytime package
> o.a.c.n.DaytimeUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.daytime package
> o.a.c.n.DiscardTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.discard package
> o.a.c.n.DiscardUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.discard package
> o.a.c.n.EchoTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.echo package
> o.a.c.n.EchoUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.echo package
> o.a.c.n.FingerClient moved to o.a.c.n.finger package
> o.a.c.n.TimeTCPClient moved to o.a.c.n.time package
> o.a.c.n.TimeUDPClient moved to o.a.c.n.time package
> o.a.c.n.WhoisClient moved to o.a.c.n.whois package
>
> Are these package moves necessary - looks like were just going to
> inflict unecessary pain on the users? If the Net devs still think its
> a good idea, then it would provide users with an upgrade path if the
> the new packages are added in Net 1.5 and the old classes with the old
> package names deprecated.
>
> Niall
>
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I would prefer to get 2.0 out there as well. I would rather see us be
>> fixing bugs as found by users than keeping it around for even longer
>> in the current state. It's time to get it out there.
>>
>> /niklas
>>
>> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I think 1.5 is closer to being ready for a release than 2.0.
>>>
>>> Given that any bugs that are found in 1.5 are probably going to be
>>> present in 2.0 as well, I would like to suggest that 1.5 is released
>>> first, and 2.0 after there has been some time for people to use 1.5 in
>>> earnest.
>>>
>>> Are there any JIRA issues which still need to be fixed for 1.5?

RE: Commons Net 1.5 / 2.0 Releases

Oberhuber, Martin

I agree that I cannot see a strong argument for such a
Breaking change. In general, binary backward compatibility
For a lib with such a wide distribution should be maintained
If there are no strong arguments against maintaining it.

In this case, it looks like the various clients are small
Enough to live in a single package.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:36 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would you be able to try the patches I just attached to NET-220?
>
> That should be enough to make the TFTPServer class threadsafe, and may
> address the shutdown problem.

Didn't help with the issue I'm seeing.

When on the topic of TFTPServer, I have to agree with James Carmans on
that it's out of scope for commons-net and should be moved to
src/test/java.

I'll commit my fix with using unique port numbers for now.

/niklas

On 20/05/2008, Niklas Gustavsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:36 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > Would you be able to try the patches I just attached to NET-220?
>  >
>  > That should be enough to make the TFTPServer class threadsafe, and may
>  > address the shutdown problem.
>

> Didn't help with the issue I'm seeing.

OK, thanks for trying.
But presumbly it did not make things worse?

>  When on the topic of TFTPServer, I have to agree with James Carmans on
>  that it's out of scope for commons-net and should be moved to
>  src/test/java.
>
>  I'll commit my fix with using unique port numbers for now.

Not sure I agree with that - it's just ignoring the problem.

Unless it can be shown that it is due to a bug in Java on Ubuntu, then
I think the problem really needs to be fixed before releasing 2.0.