Commons Time?

Henri Yandell
Pondering an idea of a Commons Time package that would sit on top of
Joda Time/JSR 310. Lang's time package functionality would go in
there, along with various enhancement ideas. The less core stuff than
the JSR handles. Items like:

* DateSequence, which would handle an open issue [LANG-347] for a
'addWeekDays' type item. Rather than adding and changing the date, you
would walk along the sequence and get the date. Or something.
* RandomDate [LANG-350]
* DateFormatUtils
* DateUtils (definitely rewritten on top of Joda)
* DurationFormatUtils (likewise)
* FastDateFormat

Probably not StopWatch.

Anyway, pondering people's thoughts; plus any info Stephen might have
on whether this is insane or not :)

Hen

Re: Commons Time?

Paul Benedict
I'd rather see it in Commons Lang.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Henri Yandell<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pondering an idea of a Commons Time package that would sit on top of
> Joda Time/JSR 310. Lang's time package functionality would go in
> there, along with various enhancement ideas. The less core stuff than
> the JSR handles. Items like:
>
> * DateSequence, which would handle an open issue [LANG-347] for a
> 'addWeekDays' type item. Rather than adding and changing the date, you
> would walk along the sequence and get the date. Or something.
> * RandomDate [LANG-350]
> * DateFormatUtils
> * DateUtils (definitely rewritten on top of Joda)
> * DurationFormatUtils (likewise)
> * FastDateFormat
>
> Probably not StopWatch.
>
> Anyway, pondering people's thoughts; plus any info Stephen might have
> on whether this is insane or not :)
>
> Hen

Re: Commons Time?

Henri Yandell
Until the new time stuff is in Java - I'm hesistant to have it in
Lang. Yet I also don't want to do anymore work on Date based code in
Lang :)

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Paul Benedict<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd rather see it in Commons Lang.
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Henri Yandell<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Pondering an idea of a Commons Time package that would sit on top of
>> Joda Time/JSR 310. Lang's time package functionality would go in
>> there, along with various enhancement ideas. The less core stuff than
>> the JSR handles. Items like:
>>
>> * DateSequence, which would handle an open issue [LANG-347] for a
>> 'addWeekDays' type item. Rather than adding and changing the date, you
>> would walk along the sequence and get the date. Or something.
>> * RandomDate [LANG-350]
>> * DateFormatUtils
>> * DateUtils (definitely rewritten on top of Joda)
>> * DurationFormatUtils (likewise)
>> * FastDateFormat
>>
>> Probably not StopWatch.
>>
>> Anyway, pondering people's thoughts; plus any info Stephen might have
>> on whether this is insane or not :)
>>
>> Hen

Re: Commons Time?

Paul Benedict
LOL Well DateUtils will simply gain a brother called TimeUtils.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Henri Yandell<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Until the new time stuff is in Java - I'm hesistant to have it in
> Lang. Yet I also don't want to do anymore work on Date based code in
> Lang :)
>
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Paul Benedict<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'd rather see it in Commons Lang.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Henri Yandell<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Pondering an idea of a Commons Time package that would sit on top of
>>> Joda Time/JSR 310. Lang's time package functionality would go in
>>> there, along with various enhancement ideas. The less core stuff than
>>> the JSR handles. Items like:
>>>
>>> * DateSequence, which would handle an open issue [LANG-347] for a
>>> 'addWeekDays' type item. Rather than adding and changing the date, you
>>> would walk along the sequence and get the date. Or something.
>>> * RandomDate [LANG-350]
>>> * DateFormatUtils
>>> * DateUtils (definitely rewritten on top of Joda)
>>> * DurationFormatUtils (likewise)
>>> * FastDateFormat
>>>
>>> Probably not StopWatch.
>>>
>>> Anyway, pondering people's thoughts; plus any info Stephen might have
>>> on whether this is insane or not :)
>>>
>>> Hen

Re: Commons Time?

papajdo
Hi Henri,

On Jul 7, 2009, at 12:16 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Until the new time stuff is in Java - I'm hesistant to have it in
> Lang. Yet I also don't want to do anymore work on Date based code in
> Lang :)

It might be years before there's an update to Java SE (Sun/Oracle's
intentions regarding a new JSR in which 310 would go aren't at all
clear).

If stuff in Lang is supposed to be in sync with Java SE, maybe not
good to put Time in there.

But I don't see any issues with a new Commons Time sub-project. I'd
hope that Commons Time would move faster than Java SE anyway...

Craig

> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Paul Benedict<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I'd rather see it in Commons Lang.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Henri Yandell<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Pondering an idea of a Commons Time package that would sit on top of
>>> Joda Time/JSR 310. Lang's time package functionality would go in
>>> there, along with various enhancement ideas. The less core stuff
>>> than
>>> the JSR handles. Items like:
>>>
>>> * DateSequence, which would handle an open issue [LANG-347] for a
>>> 'addWeekDays' type item. Rather than adding and changing the date,
>>> you
>>> would walk along the sequence and get the date. Or something.
>>> * RandomDate [LANG-350]
>>> * DateFormatUtils
>>> * DateUtils (definitely rewritten on top of Joda)
>>> * DurationFormatUtils (likewise)
>>> * FastDateFormat
>>>
>>> Probably not StopWatch.
>>>
>>> Anyway, pondering people's thoughts; plus any info Stephen might
>>> have
>>> on whether this is insane or not :)
>>>
>>> Hen

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:[hidden email]
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Commons Time?

Paul Benedict
Perhaps we're approaching this wrong. If we need common utilities for
a JSR that's yet to be released, why not submit them straight to
Stephen? I don't see why Apache should take this on while the JSR
isn't finished.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Craig L Russell<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Henri,
>
> On Jul 7, 2009, at 12:16 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> Until the new time stuff is in Java - I'm hesistant to have it in
>> Lang. Yet I also don't want to do anymore work on Date based code in
>> Lang :)
>
> It might be years before there's an update to Java SE (Sun/Oracle's
> intentions regarding a new JSR in which 310 would go aren't at all clear).
>
> If stuff in Lang is supposed to be in sync with Java SE, maybe not good to
> put Time in there.
>
> But I don't see any issues with a new Commons Time sub-project. I'd hope
> that Commons Time would move faster than Java SE anyway...
>
> Craig
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Paul Benedict<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd rather see it in Commons Lang.

> Craig L Russell
> 408 276-5638 mailto:[hidden email]
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Commons Time?

papajdo
Hi Paul,

I might not understand the intent of the Commons Time stuff, but I
assumed that it's stuff that doesn't belong in the Time package itself
but builds on Time.

The idea of building it now while the JSR is still incomplete is to
provide some features now and not wait possibly years before the JSR
completes.

Craig

On Jul 7, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Paul Benedict wrote:

> Perhaps we're approaching this wrong. If we need common utilities for
> a JSR that's yet to be released, why not submit them straight to
> Stephen? I don't see why Apache should take this on while the JSR
> isn't finished.
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Craig L
> Russell<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Henri,
>>
>> On Jul 7, 2009, at 12:16 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>>> Until the new time stuff is in Java - I'm hesistant to have it in
>>> Lang. Yet I also don't want to do anymore work on Date based code in
>>> Lang :)
>>
>> It might be years before there's an update to Java SE (Sun/Oracle's
>> intentions regarding a new JSR in which 310 would go aren't at all
>> clear).
>>
>> If stuff in Lang is supposed to be in sync with Java SE, maybe not
>> good to
>> put Time in there.
>>
>> But I don't see any issues with a new Commons Time sub-project. I'd
>> hope
>> that Commons Time would move faster than Java SE anyway...
>>
>> Craig

>> Craig L Russell
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:[hidden email]
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:[hidden email]
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Commons Time?

Paul Benedict
Isn't it a catch 22? How can you build on something that isn't stable?
We risk creating API wrappers that break when Java Time goes through a
revision. Stephen has solicited much feedback and at times things do
change (like class renamings).

Paul