Commons VFS Users?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Commons VFS Users?

Ersin Er
Hello,

Are there any projects (like a media player) that supports commons-vfs?
Or is it applicable to use commons-vfs as the single file system
abstraction layer to support lots of file systems in an application?

I'll develop a network file system and I want to wrap it also with
commons-vfs. So I wonder if any ready applications are in usage
supporting commons-vfs.

Thanks.



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

re: [vfs] Commons VFS Users?

Mario Ivankovits
Ersin Er wrote:
> Are there any projects (like a media player) that supports commons-vfs?
There are some other projects already using it.

I know chainsaw (logfile viewer for log4j).
We use it in our application (large business application) as
java.io.file replacement.
I dont know how widespread commons-vfs really is, but there are some
people using it.

> Or is it applicable to use commons-vfs as the single file system
> abstraction layer to support lots of file systems in an application?
This is what its intention is.

> I'll develop a network file system and I want to wrap it also with
> commons-vfs.
Do you mean you would like to implement something like NFS, or would you
like to develop your own protocol?

---
Mario


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [vfs] Commons VFS Users?

Ersin Er


Mario Ivankovits wrote:

> Ersin Er wrote:
>
>> Are there any projects (like a media player) that supports commons-vfs?
>
> There are some other projects already using it.
>
> I know chainsaw (logfile viewer for log4j).
> We use it in our application (large business application) as
> java.io.file replacement.
> I dont know how widespread commons-vfs really is, but there are some
> people using it.
How about the new J2SE 5 I/O improvements? Does commons-vfs benefit from
those changes? Or is it planned in the near future?

>> Or is it applicable to use commons-vfs as the single file system
>> abstraction layer to support lots of file systems in an application?
>
> This is what its intention is.
>
>> I'll develop a network file system and I want to wrap it also with
>> commons-vfs.
>
> Do you mean you would like to implement something like NFS, or would
> you like to develop your own protocol?
I'll design and implement my own.

Thanks.

> ---
> Mario
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [vfs] Commons VFS Users?

Mario Ivankovits
Ersin Er wrote:
> How about the new J2SE 5 I/O improvements? Does commons-vfs benefit
> from those changes? Or is it planned in the near future?
Hmm. I dont think so. The main focus of VFS is to access files on
http/ftp/smb/webdav/file/... all via the same api.
As long as the network itself is the bottleneck I see no improvements here.
And well, the libraries used have to provide support for the new IO layer.

> I'll design and implement my own.
May I ask why? There are so may network filesystems out there.

However, VFS provides a plugin mechanism where it automatically detects
"fileproviders" in the classpatch (by scanning META-INF) and configures
itself accordingly.
That way it is easy to extend VFS without the need to change any core
file/configuration.

I may assist you if you reach this point.

---
Mario


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [vfs] Commons VFS Users?

Ersin Er


Mario Ivankovits wrote:

> Ersin Er wrote:
>
>> How about the new J2SE 5 I/O improvements? Does commons-vfs benefit
>> from those changes? Or is it planned in the near future?
>
> Hmm. I dont think so. The main focus of VFS is to access files on
> http/ftp/smb/webdav/file/... all via the same api.
> As long as the network itself is the bottleneck I see no improvements
> here.
> And well, the libraries used have to provide support for the new IO
> layer.
>
>> I'll design and implement my own.
>
> May I ask why? There are so may network filesystems out there.
I have my own ideas about sharing semantics and performance improvement.
I'll do it for my master thesis.

> However, VFS provides a plugin mechanism where it automatically
> detects "fileproviders" in the classpatch (by scanning META-INF) and
> configures itself accordingly.
> That way it is easy to extend VFS without the need to change any core
> file/configuration.
>
> I may assist you if you reach this point.

I'll ask you when I reach that point.

Thanks.

> ---
> Mario
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]