Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

jochen-2
On 9/2/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 on the move to maven 2, but the site needs to stay consistent with
> the other commons sites - i.e., if you eliminate navigation.xml, you
> have to replace it with whatever the m2 equivalent is to get the
> commons menus.  I think Dennis worked on this a while back, so there
> should be some docs available on the wiki somewhere.

Got any pointers?

> We also need to definitively settle the artifact naming conventions
> and think carefully about the impact of relocating the fileupload jar.
>  Maybe that has been settled and I just can't see it in the archives.
> Could be we need to revive the thread that looks like it died on this
> topic. I think what you have in the pom is correct, but we need to
> agree on the org.apache.commons and commons-foo conventions.  Sorry if
> I just missed this here or on repository@.

I admit, that I am not interested in this discussion. Whatever will be
decided, I'll simply follow. It is a matter of minor edits in the POM.

> I also agree with Bill that dropping the m1 build immediatlely may
> break other things that depend on it, so I am not too keen on dropping
> m1 builds as soon as when we have m2 builds working.  It might be
> best, if possible, to start using m2 to build the site and as the main
> build tool (documented on the site), but continue to support m1 for
> some time as developers (and CI systems) that depend on fileupload
> migrate to m2.

Ok, I'll keep the m1 files, but I won't maintain them.

> You should also inherit from the commons pom, which is now 1-SNAPSHOT.
>  That will bring in the apache POM.

I have studied that POM and do have concerns:

- It defines a resource set with the NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt. I understand
  the rationale, but unfortunately that triggers a bug in the
maven-source-plugin:
  It ignores the ínclude/exclude settings when building the source jar. In other
  words, it attempts to include the source jar, which is currently
being built ...

  A better approach is using the maven-antrun-plugin to copy these
files into target/classes.
  I do not know, whether this can be done in a parent jar. (See

    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/commons/trunk/modules/neethi/pom.xml?view=markup

  for an example.)

 - How are the profiles "release" and "rc" being activated?
 - These profiles should possible attach the javadoc jar.
 - It would be good to have a release of that pom as soon as possible. Work can
   be continued in 2-SNAPSHOT. However, if we haven't got a release (which we
   can, of course, override), then we cannot use it for releases.

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

Re: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

Phil Steitz
On 9/2/06, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/2/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 on the move to maven 2, but the site needs to stay consistent with
> > the other commons sites - i.e., if you eliminate navigation.xml, you
> > have to replace it with whatever the m2 equivalent is to get the
> > commons menus.  I think Dennis worked on this a while back, so there
> > should be some docs available on the wiki somewhere.
>
> Got any pointers?

The wiki page here
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/CreatingSiteWithMaven2 captures
Dennis' notes.  I am not sure the setup still works since removing the
module dependencies.  You can also look at csv and pipeline in the
sandbox as examples.  The sites now generated by these have the menus,
but do not look right using Firefox, so this is going to need some
work.  Updates to the Wiki page would be appreciated.

> > We also need to definitively settle the artifact naming conventions
> > and think carefully about the impact of relocating the fileupload jar.
> >  Maybe that has been settled and I just can't see it in the archives.
> > Could be we need to revive the thread that looks like it died on this
> > topic. I think what you have in the pom is correct, but we need to
> > agree on the org.apache.commons and commons-foo conventions.  Sorry if
> > I just missed this here or on repository@.
>
> I admit, that I am not interested in this discussion. Whatever will be
> decided, I'll simply follow. It is a matter of minor edits in the POM.

But potentially major PITA for users, so we need to be careful.  See
Craig's response on other thread.

> > I also agree with Bill that dropping the m1 build immediatlely may
> > break other things that depend on it, so I am not too keen on dropping
> > m1 builds as soon as when we have m2 builds working.  It might be
> > best, if possible, to start using m2 to build the site and as the main
> > build tool (documented on the site), but continue to support m1 for
> > some time as developers (and CI systems) that depend on fileupload
> > migrate to m2.
>
> Ok, I'll keep the m1 files, but I won't maintain them.
>

> > You should also inherit from the commons pom, which is now 1-SNAPSHOT.
> >  That will bring in the apache POM.
>
> I have studied that POM and do have concerns:
>
> - It defines a resource set with the NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt. I understand
>   the rationale, but unfortunately that triggers a bug in the
> maven-source-plugin:
>   It ignores the ínclude/exclude settings when building the source jar. In other
>   words, it attempts to include the source jar, which is currently
> being built ...

I don't get this.  Is there a JIRA ticket for this bug?  This happens
whenever you specify resources?

>   A better approach is using the maven-antrun-plugin to copy these
> files into target/classes.
>   I do not know, whether this can be done in a parent jar. (See
>
>     http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/webservices/commons/trunk/modules/neethi/pom.xml?view=markup
>
>   for an example.)
>
>  - How are the profiles "release" and "rc" being activated?

They need to be activated on the command line using -Prelease, -Prc.

>  - These profiles should possible attach the javadoc jar.

That should be possible by adding plugin config to the profile defs.
Feel free to edit / patch.

>  - It would be good to have a release of that pom as soon as possible.

+1 - but we should eliminate any "bugs" such as you have mentioned
above and then vote on it.

> Work can
>    be continued in 2-SNAPSHOT. However, if we haven't got a release (which we
>    can, of course, override), then we cannot use it for releases.

Phil

Re: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

jochen-2
On 9/2/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > - It defines a resource set with the NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt. I understand
> >   the rationale, but unfortunately that triggers a bug in the
> > maven-source-plugin:
> >   It ignores the ínclude/exclude settings when building the source jar. In other
> >   words, it attempts to include the source jar, which is currently
> > being built ...
> >

> I don't get this.  Is there a JIRA ticket for this bug?  This happens
> whenever you specify resources?

No, this happens in the particular case, when you specify the projects
root directory as the resources base directory.

> >  - How are the profiles "release" and "rc" being activated?
>
> They need to be activated on the command line using -Prelease, -Prc.

Ah, that's good to know!

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

Re: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

Phil Steitz
On 9/2/06, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/2/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > - It defines a resource set with the NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt. I understand
> > >   the rationale, but unfortunately that triggers a bug in the
> > > maven-source-plugin:
> > >   It ignores the ínclude/exclude settings when building the source jar. In other
> > >   words, it attempts to include the source jar, which is currently
> > > being built ...
> > >

> > I don't get this.  Is there a JIRA ticket for this bug?  This happens
> > whenever you specify resources?
>
> No, this happens in the particular case, when you specify the projects
> root directory as the resources base directory.

We should find a workaround for this; otherwise remove the resources
spec in the parent and handle getting the required files into the jars
at the component level with antrun or somesuch.

> > >  - How are the profiles "release" and "rc" being activated?
> >
> > They need to be activated on the command line using -Prelease, -Prc.
>
> Ah, that's good to know!

I will add some comments to the commons pom itself and once things
have stabilized, add a maven 2 section (or I guess rewrite these pages
for m2) to the "building.." and "releasing..." pages to doc all of
this (unless, of course, someone else beats me to it :-).

The idea was to force the deployer to explicitly ack that s/he wants
to deploy to the rsynched repo.  We do this for m1 jar releases using
 maven -Dmaven.repo.list=apache.releases -Duser.name=your-apache-id jar:deploy
with the second parameter overriding the default set in project.propterties.

Thanks for your help / feedback on the pom.

Phil

Re: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

jochen-2
On 9/2/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I will add some comments to the commons pom itself and once things
> have stabilized, add a maven 2 section (or I guess rewrite these pages
> for m2) to the "building.." and "releasing..." pages to doc all of
> this (unless, of course, someone else beats me to it :-).

Btw, where's the pom located in CVS? I have looked into
jakarta/commons/proper, but it doesn't seem to be there?

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

Re: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

Phil Steitz
On 9/2/06, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/2/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I will add some comments to the commons pom itself and once things
> > have stabilized, add a maven 2 section (or I guess rewrite these pages
> > for m2) to the "building.." and "releasing..." pages to doc all of
> > this (unless, of course, someone else beats me to it :-).
>
> Btw, where's the pom located in CVS? I have looked into
> jakarta/commons/proper, but it doesn't seem to be there?

/jakarta/commons/trunks-proper/pom.xml

Phil

Re: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

jochen-2

I attempted to build the site of commons-fileupload, following the
instruction from

    http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/CreatingSiteWithMaven2

(To be precise, I simply made sure, that the latest snapshot of the
maven-site-plugin is being used. I found no other instructions that I
should follow.)

Unfortunately, the build failed, most possibly because of an error in
the site plugin or one of its dependencies. (I've got a
ClassNotFoundException.)

Regardless of the above problems, I also do believe that using a
snapshot plugin should be avoided. As the site builds very well with
the released version, I am currently simply ignoring the instructions
on CreatingSiteWithMaven2.

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

RE: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

Jörg Schaible-2
Jochen Wiedmann wrote on Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:53 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I attempted to build the site of commons-fileupload, following the
> instruction from
>
>     http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/CreatingSiteWithMaven2
>
> (To be precise, I simply made sure, that the latest snapshot of the
> maven-site-plugin is being used. I found no other instructions that I
> should follow.)
>
> Unfortunately, the build failed, most possibly because of an error in
> the site plugin or one of its dependencies. (I've got a
> ClassNotFoundException.)
>
> Regardless of the above problems, I also do believe that using a
> snapshot plugin should be avoided. As the site builds very well with
> the released version, I am currently simply ignoring the instructions
> on CreatingSiteWithMaven2.

Another reson to avoid SNAPSHOT-plugins: The release plugin will not build a release while you depend on anything using a SNAPSHOIT version!
;-)

- Jörg

Re: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

Phil Steitz
Yes.  We should avoid snapshot dependencies. I think when that page
was written, the site plugin had not been released yet.  I have not
yet succeeded in duplicating / reverse engineering the setup to get
this working and updated.  Updates based on working examples using
current released plugin versions would be most appreciated.  Where, by
the way, are you getting the maven-changes-plugin for [fileupload]?

Phil

Phil Steitz wrote:

> current released plugin versions would be most appreciated.  Where, by
> the way, are you getting the maven-changes-plugin for [fileupload]?

Oops, you are right! I am using a snapshot version myself.

I have asked for a release on [hidden email] in order to get this
fixed.

Jochen

On 9/3/06, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> > current released plugin versions would be most appreciated.  Where, by
> > the way, are you getting the maven-changes-plugin for [fileupload]?
>
> Oops, you are right! I am using a snapshot version myself.
>
> I have asked for a release on [hidden email] in order to get this
> fixed.

OK - I guess that's why I couldn't find it ;-)  I assume the latest
(released) site plugin (2.0-beta-5) is OK to use, right?

I also figured out what is going on with the menus / style stuff.  The
sanbox components are inheriting this from the commons-sandbox POM.
If we want to use this approach to standardize the l & f of all of the
sites for m2, we need to add site resources to trunks-proper as well.
 Until reading http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/howto.html,
I did not realize that site configuration was packaged with a POM.
Seems odd to me and not obvious that we would want to release this
config with the parent POM.  Is there a way that we can achieve the
same effect (make it easy for component sites to reuse menus / style
info) without tightly coupling the site config with the parent POM?
We need to be able to build and deploy the component sites
independently.

Phil

> Jochen

Re: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

Wendy Smoak
On 9/4/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK - I guess that's why I couldn't find it ;-)  I assume the latest
> (released) site plugin (2.0-beta-5) is OK to use, right?

2.0-beta-5 has some annoying issues... Shale and Struts are still
using 2.0-beta-4 until there is another release.

--
Wendy

On 9/4/06, Wendy Smoak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 9/4/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > OK - I guess that's why I couldn't find it ;-)  I assume the latest
> > (released) site plugin (2.0-beta-5) is OK to use, right?
>
> 2.0-beta-5 has some annoying issues... Shale and Struts are still
> using 2.0-beta-4 until there is another release.

Thanks, Wendy.  How do you force maven to use an earlier version?
Adding a plugin element for the site plugin with a version spec did
not seem to work for me - at least according to what I saw from -X.
Where do you put the plugin element to specify the older version?

Phil
> --
> Wendy

Re: Commons and Maven 2 (Was: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2)

Wendy Smoak
On 9/4/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Wendy.  How do you force maven to use an earlier version?
> Adding a plugin element for the site plugin with a version spec did
> not seem to work for me - at least according to what I saw from -X.
> Where do you put the plugin element to specify the older version?

We have it in <pluginManagement> in the parent pom:
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/struts1/trunk/pom.xml

If it's in the pom for the actual module, then

--
Wendy