[Compress] Zip Files: History, Explanation and Implementation

[Compress] Zip Files: History, Explanation and Implementation

garydgregory
Just FYI:Zip Files: History, Explanation and Implementation
https://www.hanshq.net/zip.html

Re: [Compress] Zip Files: History, Explanation and Implementation

Peter Lee
Great article. This may help a lot when learning about zip.
I'm planning to build a pure Java deflater/inflater on my own. Believe this
may help a lot.

Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> 于2020年3月7日周六 上午10:30写道:

> Just FYI:Zip Files: History, Explanation and Implementation
> https://www.hanshq.net/zip.html

Re: [Compress] Zip Files: History, Explanation and Implementation

Stefan Bodewig
On 2020-03-07, Peter Lee wrote:

> I'm planning to build a pure Java deflater/inflater on my own. Believe this
> may help a lot.

Compress contains a pure Java Deflate64 deflater, which also is a
"normal" deflater by defintion. You may want to take a look at it.

When I implemented the LZ4 encoder I leaned on Peter Deutsch's
description of the LZ77 part of the deflate algorithm in RFC1951 but I
believe the original LZ4 code contains a faster matching algorithm than
that - zlib itself probably does so as well by now.

Stefan

Re: [Compress] Zip Files: History, Explanation and Implementation

Peter Lee
> Compress contains a pure Java Deflate64 deflater, which also is a
> "normal" deflater by defintion. You may want to take a look at it.

Thank you so much! I will look into that.
I'm doing this out of my interest - I have read many of compression
algorithms, I just want to have a try on myself.

> the original LZ4 code contains a faster matching algorithm than
> that - zlib itself probably does so as well by now.

I believe so.
When talking about the performance, the JNI call is always better than the
native Java code - even when they have same algorithm.
I'm just hoping I can implement a fast deflater. Maybe the incubating
VectorAPI may help me. It can achieve SIMD in native Java. Looks good.

Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> 于2020年3月7日周六 下午11:13写道: