Contributing to Apache Commons (Beginner task)

Contributing to Apache Commons (Beginner task)

Vladimir Kaplarevic
Hello,

I am looking to contribute to Apache Commons and start of with some basic
beginner task. I came across this:
https://helpwanted.apache.org/task.html?532e1a732ca32a4e35fc7fc0e4c9373b6af1c17d

If possible, I would like to help out but I am not sure about the steps
that I need to take here - ask to get jira ticket assigned, I guess? Also,
I am not sure that I can find the jira ticket in here
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-6> .

Any help is very much appreciated.

--
Kind Regards,

Vladimir

Re: Contributing to Apache Commons (Beginner task)

Gilles Sadowski
Hello.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 21:02:11 +0100, Vladimir Kaplarevic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking to contribute to Apache Commons and start of with some
> basic
> beginner task. I came across this:
>
> https://helpwanted.apache.org/task.html?532e1a732ca32a4e35fc7fc0e4c9373b6af1c17d
>
> If possible, I would like to help out but I am not sure about the
> steps
> that I need to take here - ask to get jira ticket assigned, I guess?
> Also,
> I am not sure that I can find the jira ticket in here
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-6> .
>
> Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks for your interest.
The wording in the " helpwanted" request is a bit out-of-date,
since the release happened last December.
However, it is still very useful to try out the code in real
applications and report of any problems.  You could also design
"toy" applications tailored to illustrate features of the library
(see the "commons-rng-examples" module in the source repository).

You could also have a look at the open issues (although those
might not be beginner tasks).

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, so we can focus more
precisely on what you want to do.

Best regards,

Convert RNG help wanted into generic request

Bernd Eckenfels
Hello,

Can we replace this task. We get so many references to it, and despite the fact we answered the offers for help there was never a result out of it. I am unsure why that is, and maybe we could improve our people skills, but it is rather obvious to me that this particular help request does not attract the right engagement (besides the wording is outdated)

We could replace it for a more generic Apache Commons Feedback wanted task: if you use a Apache Commons components share your experience, problems and Feedback on the User List.  - or similar?

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

________________________________
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 21:02:11 +0100, Vladimir Kaplarevic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking to contribute to Apache Commons and start of with some
> basic
> beginner task. I came across this:
>
> https://helpwanted.apache.org/task.html?532e1a732ca32a4e35fc7fc0e4c9373b6af1c17d
>
> If possible, I would like to help out but I am not sure about the
> steps
> that I need to take here - ask to get jira ticket assigned, I guess?
> Also,
> I am not sure that I can find the jira ticket in here
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-6> .
>
> Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks for your interest.
The wording in the " helpwanted" request is a bit out-of-date,
since the release happened last December.
However, it is still very useful to try out the code in real
applications and report of any problems.  You could also design
"toy" applications tailored to illustrate features of the library
(see the "commons-rng-examples" module in the source repository).

You could also have a look at the open issues (although those
might not be beginner tasks).

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, so we can focus more
precisely on what you want to do.

Best regards,

Re: Convert RNG help wanted into generic request

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:24:10 +0000, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can we replace this task. We get so many references to it, and
> despite the fact we answered the offers for help there was never a
> result out of it.

I've pointed at that problem several months ago already.

> I am unsure why that is, and maybe we could improve
> our people skills, but it is rather obvious to me that this
> particular
> help request does not attract the right engagement

I guess that the "helpwanted" page makes it too easy to send out
an automatic mail to this list, even thought the OP is not subscribed;
in at least one occurrence, the OP acted as if we were spamming her!

Is there another "helpwanted" request that redirects here?
If not, no surprise that it happens only through the one I created...

> (besides the
> wording is outdated)

Quite true but the problem existed before the wording got outdated.

> We could replace it for a more generic Apache Commons Feedback wanted
> task: if you use a Apache Commons components share your experience,
> problems and Feedback on the User List.  - or similar?

Fine: Please change as you see fit. :-)

Best regards,
Gilles

> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
>
> ________________________________

Eyal Allweil
I opened two "help wanted" items for Apache DataFu a few months ago. Both were linked to specific Jira issues - one a generic "wish", and the other a very specific, entry-level task.
Unsurprisingly, the generic one is still open, but the more specific item was picked up and a new contributor wrote it. I recommend doing something similar for Commons. I don't think there are enough "beginner" tasks there, and I think it's a good way to pick up contributors and get things done - not everyone knows how to search Jira for something doable.
If there are no objections, I can open a new issue for something in Commons as an example.
Regards,Eyal

    On Friday, March 24, 2017 2:48 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hi.

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:24:10 +0000, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can we replace this task. We get so many references to it, and
> despite the fact we answered the offers for help there was never a
> result out of it.

I've pointed at that problem several months ago already.

> I am unsure why that is, and maybe we could improve
> our people skills, but it is rather obvious to me that this
> particular
> help request does not attract the right engagement

I guess that the "helpwanted" page makes it too easy to send out
an automatic mail to this list, even thought the OP is not subscribed;
in at least one occurrence, the OP acted as if we were spamming her!

Is there another "helpwanted" request that redirects here?
If not, no surprise that it happens only through the one I created...

> (besides the
> wording is outdated)

Quite true but the problem existed before the wording got outdated.

> We could replace it for a more generic Apache Commons Feedback wanted
> task: if you use a Apache Commons components share your experience,
> problems and Feedback on the User List.  - or similar?

Fine: Please change as you see fit. :-)

Best regards,
Gilles

> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
>
> ________________________________

Hi Eyal.

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 08:36:34 +0000 (UTC), Eyal Allweil wrote:
> I opened two "help wanted" items for Apache DataFu a few months ago.
> Both were linked to specific Jira issues - one a generic "wish", and
> the other a very specific, entry-level task.
> Unsurprisingly, the generic one is still open, but the more specific
> item was picked up and a new contributor wrote it. I recommend doing
> something similar for Commons. I don't think there are enough
> "beginner" tasks there, and I think it's a good way to pick up
> contributors and get things done - not everyone knows how to search
> Jira for something doable.

Good point.
However it is probably always the case that JIRA issues that stay open
are not easy to fix...

> If there are no objections, I can open a new issue for something in
> Commons as an example.

Sure! If beginners are likely to be reading "helpwanted" rather than
the developers' web site, you are certainly welcome in evaluating all
the JIRA issues and copy the ones you think will fit in "helpwanted".

Thanks a lot,
Gilles

> Regards,Eyal
>

>     On Friday, March 24, 2017 2:48 PM, Gilles
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>  Hi.
>
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:24:10 +0000, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can we replace this task. We get so many references to it, and
>> despite the fact we answered the offers for help there was never a
>> result out of it.
>
> I've pointed at that problem several months ago already.
>
>> I am unsure why that is, and maybe we could improve
>> our people skills, but it is rather obvious to me that this
>> particular
>> help request does not attract the right engagement
>
> I guess that the "helpwanted" page makes it too easy to send out
> an automatic mail to this list, even thought the OP is not
> subscribed;
> in at least one occurrence, the OP acted as if we were spamming her!
>
> Is there another "helpwanted" request that redirects here?
> If not, no surprise that it happens only through the one I created...
>
>> (besides the
>> wording is outdated)
>
> Quite true but the problem existed before the wording got outdated.
>

>> We could replace it for a more generic Apache Commons Feedback
>> wanted
>> task: if you use a Apache Commons components share your experience,
>> problems and Feedback on the User List.  - or similar?
>
> Fine: Please change as you see fit. :-)
>
> Best regards,
> Gilles
>

>> Gruss
>> Bernd
>> --
>> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
>>
>> ________________________________

Hi Gilles,

I looked at the issues in RNG, and I didn't find something that seemed appropriate for a beginner. The closest, in my opinion, are RNG-33 (adding convenience methods to UniformRandomProvider) and RNG-37 (implementing Ziggurat). Maybe with some more explanations or project expectations RNG-37 (or a similar, new issue) can work.

Instead, I added a new item for Commons Text - I couldn't find a way to get a link from Help Wanted, but it's TEXT-74. There were actually a lot of issues in Commons Text that seemed good, but they all depend on WordUtils being available in the main branch, which appears pending. I guess we'll see if anyone picks it up.

Cheers,Eyal

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 12:27:47 +0000 (UTC), Eyal Allweil wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> I looked at the issues in RNG, and I didn't find something that
> seemed appropriate for a beginner. The closest, in my opinion,
> are RNG-33 (adding convenience methods to UniformRandomProvider)

That one should be resolved: the convenience methods probably
do not warrant breaking compatibility (and there are other
limitations, as discussed in the comments).

However, it might be worth exploring utilities (such as
"RngStreamFactory" mentioned in one comment) to be added
in the "commons-rng-examples" module.

> and RNG-37 (implementing Ziggurat). Maybe with some more explanations
> or project expectations RNG-37 (or a similar, new issue) can work.

What do see as missing from the description?

> [...]

>>> particular
>>> help request does not attract the right engagement
>>
>> I guess that the "helpwanted" page makes it too easy to send out
>> an automatic mail to this list, even thought the OP is not
>> subscribed;
>> in at least one occurrence, the OP acted as if we were spamming her!
>>
>> Is there another "helpwanted" request that redirects here?
>> If not, no surprise that it happens only through the one I
>> created...
>>
>>> (besides the
>>> wording is outdated)
>>
>> Quite true but the problem existed before the wording got outdated.
>>

>>> We could replace it for a more generic Apache Commons Feedback
>>> wanted
>>> task: if you use a Apache Commons components share your experience,
>>> problems and Feedback on the User List.  - or similar?

As a Jira issue, RNG-37 is OK. But for something like Help Wanted, I would add a link to another implementation that can be used as a template and/or a page describing which interface to implement, what to test, that sort of thing. The idea is to make it easy for someone new to the project to feel like they can dive right into the work and meet the project expectations. I'm totally unfamiliar with commons-rng myself - but that's what, if I were looking at the page, would improve the chances that I would think it's worth trying. I suspect the more expectations and hints are there, the less work afterwards is necessary in review and finishing.

Regards,Eyal

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-sampling/xref/org/apache/commons/rng/sampling/distribution/MarsagliaNormalizedGaussianSampler.html

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-sampling/apidocs/org/apache/commons/rng/sampling/distribution/package-summary.html

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-sampling/apidocs/org/apache/commons/rng/sampling/distribution/MarsagliaNormalizedGaussianSampler.html

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-sampling/xref-test/org/apache/commons/rng/sampling/distribution/ContinuousSamplersList.html

> that sort of thing. The idea is to make it easy for someone
> new to the project to feel like they can dive right into the work and
> meet the project expectations.

Sure.

> I'm totally unfamiliar with commons-rng
> myself - but that's what, if I were looking at the page, would
> improve
> the chances that I would think it's worth trying.

Feel free to include the above links.

> I suspect the more
> expectations and hints are there, the less work afterwards is
> necessary in review and finishing.

It should also be stressed that the first thing would be to
subscribe to the ML, and post about what is proposed in order
to ensure that no problem would arise (e.g. license issues).

Thanks for your help on this,
Gilles

> [...]
>> the JIRA issues and copy the ones you think will fit in
>> "helpwanted".
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Gilles
>>

>>> Regards,Eyal
>>>

>>>    On Friday, March 24, 2017 2:48 PM, Gilles
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>>  Hi.

>>> I've pointed at that problem several months ago already.

>>> I guess that the "helpwanted" page makes it too easy to send out
>>> an automatic mail to this list, even thought the OP is not
>>> subscribed;
>>> in at least one occurrence, the OP acted as if we were spamming
>>> her!
>>>
>>> Is there another "helpwanted" request that redirects here?
>>> If not, no surprise that it happens only through the one I
>>> created...

>>> Quite true but the problem existed before the wording got outdated.

It looks like there is no "edit" feature in Help Wanted.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8ae808862f07ca8fb005ec95cbe9dc4bc8c6cd012dbe141cf2b47d2b@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E
Editing is done by deleting the old item and recreating - any Apache committer can do this by marking the task as "done".
I've added a new entry for implementing Ziggurat, including the links you provided. See if it looks good to you, and you can copy-delete-and-resubmit it if you think changes are necessary. The original, too general entry for "Random Number Generators" can probably be deleted too, if it isn't leading to useful contributions.
Good luck,Eyal

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:30:46 +0000 (UTC), Eyal Allweil wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
> It looks like there is no "edit" feature in Help Wanted.
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8ae808862f07ca8fb005ec95cbe9dc4bc8c6cd012dbe141cf2b47d2b@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E
> Editing is done by deleting the old item and recreating - any Apache
> committer can do this by marking the task as "done".
> I've added a new entry for implementing Ziggurat, including the links
> you provided. See if it looks good to you,

Fine, except the "project" is set to "commonsrdf"...

> and you can
> copy-delete-and-resubmit it if you think changes are necessary. The
> original, too general entry for "Random Number Generators" can
> probably be deleted too, if it isn't leading to useful contributions.

Fine to delete it indeed; it was outdated anyway.

As for "beginner" tasks, I think that some could be found in
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUMBERS-25

> [...]
>>> a lot of issues in Commons Text that seemed good, but they all
>>> depend
>>> on WordUtils being available in the main branch, which appears
>>> pending. I guess we'll see if anyone picks it up.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gilles
>>

>>> Cheers,Eyal
>>>

>>>    On Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:50 PM, Gilles
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>>  Hi Eyal.

>>> Good point.
>>> However it is probably always the case that JIRA issues that stay
>>> open
>>> are not easy to fix...

>>> Sure! If beginners are likely to be reading "helpwanted" rather
>>> than
>>> the developers' web site, you are certainly welcome in evaluating
>>> all
>>> the JIRA issues and copy the ones you think will fit in

I changed the new item to "commons" and deleted the old one.
Cheers,Eyal