Conversion utility class

matic@nimp.co.uk
Hello,

I am developing a utility class and would like to contribute it to an
Apache project. I am writing to know if Apache commons is the right
project, which sub project would be the right place and then how to do.

Background:
I Work on a regular basis with embedded devices, driving them and analyzing
the results using Java and Scala code. In this domain, it is often required
to manipulate data at bit level, and the bit ordering and byte ordering
tends to vary from one type of device to another.
I did not found an open source library for converting basic data types
between each other, changing endianness and bit ordering, so I am writing
one. As it is rather boring and time consuming to do so, I would like to
share it with others. The other motivation being that other people may find
bugs and performance improvement...

Where to contribute ?
Apache Commons Lang seems to be the right place for that kind of utility
class, however, my utility class is coded in Scala, is that ok ? I use it
in java programs without any problems since scala basic types are actually
java basic types, same for arrays. From user point of view, this is
transparent, however the documentation is not javadoc but scaladoc, that's
similar but user will definitely notice and may be confused. It seems there
is no tool to generate a javadoc from a scala file :-S

Details:
If you want to have a look, the source, test and doc are here:
http://www.nimp.co.uk/free/conv/

Best regards,
Sebastien

Re: Conversion utility class

Adrian Crum-3
Have you seen Commons Convert?

http://commons.apache.org/sandbox/convert/

-Adrian

On 2/4/2012 5:38 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am developing a utility class and would like to contribute it to an
> Apache project. I am writing to know if Apache commons is the right
> project, which sub project would be the right place and then how to do.
>
> Background:
> I Work on a regular basis with embedded devices, driving them and analyzing
> the results using Java and Scala code. In this domain, it is often required
> to manipulate data at bit level, and the bit ordering and byte ordering
> tends to vary from one type of device to another.
> I did not found an open source library for converting basic data types
> between each other, changing endianness and bit ordering, so I am writing
> one. As it is rather boring and time consuming to do so, I would like to
> share it with others. The other motivation being that other people may find
> bugs and performance improvement...
>
> Where to contribute ?
> Apache Commons Lang seems to be the right place for that kind of utility
> class, however, my utility class is coded in Scala, is that ok ? I use it
> in java programs without any problems since scala basic types are actually
> java basic types, same for arrays. From user point of view, this is
> transparent, however the documentation is not javadoc but scaladoc, that's
> similar but user will definitely notice and may be confused. It seems there
> is no tool to generate a javadoc from a scala file :-S
>
> Details:
> If you want to have a look, the source, test and doc are here:
> http://www.nimp.co.uk/free/conv/
>
> Best regards,
> Sebastien

Re: Conversion utility class

Paul Libbrecht-4
How about commons-codec?
paul

Le 4 févr. 2012 à 06:38, [hidden email] a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I am developing a utility class and would like to contribute it to an
> Apache project. I am writing to know if Apache commons is the right
> project, which sub project would be the right place and then how to do.
>
> Background:
> I Work on a regular basis with embedded devices, driving them and analyzing
> the results using Java and Scala code. In this domain, it is often required
> to manipulate data at bit level, and the bit ordering and byte ordering
> tends to vary from one type of device to another.
> I did not found an open source library for converting basic data types
> between each other, changing endianness and bit ordering, so I am writing
> one. As it is rather boring and time consuming to do so, I would like to
> share it with others. The other motivation being that other people may find
> bugs and performance improvement...
>
> Where to contribute ?
> Apache Commons Lang seems to be the right place for that kind of utility
> class, however, my utility class is coded in Scala, is that ok ? I use it
> in java programs without any problems since scala basic types are actually
> java basic types, same for arrays. From user point of view, this is
> transparent, however the documentation is not javadoc but scaladoc, that's
> similar but user will definitely notice and may be confused. It seems there
> is no tool to generate a javadoc from a scala file :-S
>
> Details:
> If you want to have a look, the source, test and doc are here:
> http://www.nimp.co.uk/free/conv/
>
> Best regards,
> Sebastien

Re: Conversion utility class

matic@nimp.co.uk
Commons-codec seems biased towards files and networking operation.
Someone suggested Commons-convert, which is in the sandbox right now.
That's seems a better match.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Sebastien

Le 4 févr. 2012 à 06:38, [hidden email] a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I am developing a utility class and would like to contribute it to an
> Apache project. I am writing to know if Apache commons is the right
> project, which sub project would be the right place and then how to do.
>
> Background:
> I Work on a regular basis with embedded devices, driving them and
analyzing
> the results using Java and Scala code. In this domain, it is often
required
> to manipulate data at bit level, and the bit ordering and byte ordering
> tends to vary from one type of device to another.
> I did not found an open source library for converting basic data types
> between each other, changing endianness and bit ordering, so I am writing
> one. As it is rather boring and time consuming to do so, I would like to
> share it with others. The other motivation being that other people may
find
> bugs and performance improvement...
>
> Where to contribute ?
> Apache Commons Lang seems to be the right place for that kind of utility
> class, however, my utility class is coded in Scala, is that ok ? I use it
> in java programs without any problems since scala basic types are actually
> java basic types, same for arrays. From user point of view, this is
> transparent, however the documentation is not javadoc but scaladoc, that's
> similar but user will definitely notice and may be confused. It seems
there

> is no tool to generate a javadoc from a scala file :-S
>
> Details:
> If you want to have a look, the source, test and doc are here:
> http://www.nimp.co.uk/free/conv/
>
> Best regards,
> Sebastien

Re: Conversion utility class

matic@nimp.co.uk
This seems to fit well with the functionality of my utility class.

Please let me know what do you think about the documentation issue. Anyone
has an idea to generate javadoc from a scala code ?

Also, what do you use to build the library ? does it handle mixed language
projects ? I am using JIdea and I heard it can handle such project but I
don't know if netbeans or eclipse can...

Sebastien

On 2/4/2012 5:38 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am developing a utility class and would like to contribute it to an
> Apache project. I am writing to know if Apache commons is the right
> project, which sub project would be the right place and then how to do.
>
> Background:
> I Work on a regular basis with embedded devices, driving them and
analyzing
> the results using Java and Scala code. In this domain, it is often
required
> to manipulate data at bit level, and the bit ordering and byte ordering
> tends to vary from one type of device to another.
> I did not found an open source library for converting basic data types
> between each other, changing endianness and bit ordering, so I am writing
> one. As it is rather boring and time consuming to do so, I would like to
> share it with others. The other motivation being that other people may
find
> bugs and performance improvement...
>
> Where to contribute ?
> Apache Commons Lang seems to be the right place for that kind of utility
> class, however, my utility class is coded in Scala, is that ok ? I use it
> in java programs without any problems since scala basic types are actually
> java basic types, same for arrays. From user point of view, this is
> transparent, however the documentation is not javadoc but scaladoc, that's
> similar but user will definitely notice and may be confused. It seems
there

> is no tool to generate a javadoc from a scala file :-S
>
> Details:
> If you want to have a look, the source, test and doc are here:
> http://www.nimp.co.uk/free/conv/
>
> Best regards,
> Sebastien

Re: Conversion utility class

jodastephen
On 4 February 2012 05:38, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Apache Commons Lang seems to be the right place for that kind of utility
> class, however, my utility class is coded in Scala, is that ok ?

Not in my opinion No.

I have no problem with a Scala-only commons component, but I think
mixing two languages in the same component to be a bad choice. It
complicates maintanance, raises the kind of documentation issue you're
looking at, and is generally just wholly unnecessary (just rewrite it
in Java if its a Java component).

The simple library-style Commons components are just that, very
simple. They code should be relatively obvious to those new to Java.

Stephen

Re: Conversion utility class

Adrian Crum-3
Commons Convert is Java only, so there is no need to support mixed
languages. The current trunk supports Maven and Ant build tools, and
there are support files for Eclipse.

-Adrian

On 2/5/2012 3:42 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> This seems to fit well with the functionality of my utility class.
>
> Please let me know what do you think about the documentation issue. Anyone
> has an idea to generate javadoc from a scala code ?
>
> Also, what do you use to build the library ? does it handle mixed language
> projects ? I am using JIdea and I heard it can handle such project but I
> don't know if netbeans or eclipse can...
>
> Sebastien

Benedikt Ritter
Hello Sebastien,

at first, let me say, that it's a great thing, that you have decided to
contribute your work to the open source community! You asked for help
with your contribution. Joining the dev mailing list was right step to
take at first.

So here are a few things that have to be accounted for:

As Stephen and Adrian have pointed out, commons is a set of utils that
provide extended functionality to the standard Java API. I like Stephens
idea of having a specific project for Scala (and maybe one for
Groovy?!). But I don't know if commons is the right place for that.
So if you still want to contribute your util, you will have to convert
it to Java code, that sticks to commons code style.

The build is primary maven[1] based, but you can use ant[2] if you are
more familiar with that. If you don't feel familiar with that, have a
look at the project homepages. They provide good documentation material.

The next step would be to select the right project and then send a
specific request for the project. Commons mailing list users stick to
the convention of prefixing their mails with the component they are
talking about. That makes filtering emails easier for all users. You
have identified convert as the right place for your util. To be sure
that the people responsible for convert get your mail, you should send a
mail with subject [SANDBOX][Convert] Suggestion for improvement: Util
for low level type conversion. (if that matches what your util is doing ;)

As Adrian pointed out, Convert is Java only, so a conversion of your
util is mandatory. To spare you from unnecessary work, I would
recommend, that you check out the latest source code from the trunk and
make yourself familiar with it. Maybe parts of the functionality you
want to provide is already implemented? If not, feel free to suggest an
improvement! Create a new Issue in commons Jira [3] and create a patch
or send a mail to the mailing list. Discuss, what you think is good with
convert, and tell us, what you do not like (and why (and how it could be
improved ;)).

Now some last words from me, as someone who is himself relatively new to
commons. What I wrote above seems to be a lot of stuff, that has to be
taken into account. But don't let that bring you down. Just read the
materials on how to contribute [4] and don't hesitate to ask you
questions on the mailing list. Being part of commons is really worth the
effort. It is a lot of fun and you can learn a lot.

So, I hope all your questions have been addressed!
Have a nice Sunday!
Benedikt

[1] http://maven.apache.org/
[2] http://ant.apache.org/
[3] http://issues.apache.org/jira
[4] http://commons.apache.org/patches.html

Am 05.02.2012 17:41, schrieb Adrian Crum:

> Commons Convert is Java only, so there is no need to support mixed
> languages. The current trunk supports Maven and Ant build tools, and
> there are support files for Eclipse.
>
> -Adrian

>> This seems to fit well with the functionality of my utility class.
>>
>> Please let me know what do you think about the documentation issue.
>> Anyone
>> has an idea to generate javadoc from a scala code ?
>>
>> Also, what do you use to build the library ? does it handle mixed
>> language
>> projects ? I am using JIdea and I heard it can handle such project but I
>> don't know if netbeans or eclipse can...
>>
>> Sebastien

Thanks all for your feedback, the utility consist in a lot of little static
methods which all looks the same. I just figure out that I need far more of
them than the amount I considered in the first place, as a result I am
considering some kind of code generation. If I go down that path,
generating scala or java code does not make much difference so I think I
will go for java. I need to think a bit more to this...