Copying methods?

Petko Hupka
Hi there.

If I understand correctly your license of your lib I can modify and  and
use your product but what if i want only one method and I don't need whole
library. Can I simply copy it in to my project??

Thanks!

Re: Copying methods?

Shawn Heisey
On 3/3/2019 11:48 AM, Petko Hupka wrote:
> If I understand correctly your license of your lib I can modify and and
> use your product but what if i want only one method and I don't need whole
> library. Can I simply copy it in to my project??

The Apache license covers the code as well as the binary releases.

I personally would add the dependency (most likely a jar) and not copy
the code for one method.  That way if a bug is found in the library, you
won't need to change the code in your project to get the bug fixed.  You
can just update the dependency to a newer version.

But if you do copy the code, the license is the same.  You can do it
either way.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Copying methods?

Rob Tompkins

> On Mar 3, 2019, at 7:31 PM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 3/3/2019 11:48 AM, Petko Hupka wrote:
>> If I understand correctly your license of your lib I can modify and and
>> use your product but what if i want only one method and I don't need whole
>> library. Can I simply copy it in to my project??
>
> The Apache license covers the code as well as the binary releases.
>
> I personally would add the dependency (most likely a jar) and not copy the code for one method.  That way if a bug is found in the library, you won't need to change the code in your project to get the bug fixed.  You can just update the dependency to a newer version.
>
> But if you do copy the code, the license is the same.  You can do it either way.

Correct either is fine, and we on commons are happy that you’re using the code.

Cheers,
-Rob

> Thanks,
> Shawn

Re: Copying methods?

Am Mo., 4. März 2019 um 00:48 Uhr schrieb Petko Hupka <[hidden email]
>:

> Hi there.
>
> If I understand correctly your license of your lib I can modify and  and
> use your product but what if i want only one method and I don't need whole
> library. Can I simply copy it in to my project??

Yes you can copy the code, but you be sure to review section 4 of the
Apache License [1] before redistributing the derived work.

Benedikt

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#redistribution