[DAEMON] New release of daemon?

mdirkse
Hi,
We'd really like for the daemon executable to forward the -javaagent command line arg to the java command. One of my colleagues actually patched arguments.c in order to support this. Much to our surprise, when we went to check the code in svn, it already included a similar fix.
The commit that applied the fix is from july of 2006. We also found an issue relating to this (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-84), which is from march of that same year. And apparently the latest version of commons-daemon, 1.0.1, was released in 2005.

That's a long time ago.

I understand that if something basically works to everyone's satisfaction and isn't too buggy, there's no need to do releases all the time. But in this case, support for -javaagent and other 1.5 features has been requested a few times, and the code to make it happen has been languishing in trunk for almost 4 years, waiting to be released. It seems like there's reason enough for a new (point) release.

So here's my question: is there any chance of a new release of daemon being baked? I'm willing to help out in any way I can to make it happen. We've used jsvc in our product from day 1, and we'd be glad to invest some time to move commons-daemon along.

Regards,
Maarten

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Mladen Turk
On 01/07/2010 05:25 PM, mdirkse wrote:

 > So here's my question: is there any chance of a new release of daemon being
 > baked?

I'll try to make the release by the end of this month.
Still have to clean up all the Jira issues.

 > I'm willing to help out in any way I can to make it happen. We've
 > used jsvc in our product from day 1, and we'd be glad to invest some time to
 > move commons-daemon along.

Pefect.
I suppose I can ping you to test the pre-release

Regards

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Mladen Turk-2

--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

mdirkse
> I'll try to make the release by the end of this month.
Fantastic.

> I suppose I can ping you to test the pre-release
For sure. And if you need any help verifying bug fixes etc. to clean up Jira, let me know.

On 01/07/2010 06:23 PM, mdirkse wrote:

>> I suppose I can ping you to test the pre-release
> For sure. And if you need any help verifying bug fixes etc. to clean up
> Jira, let me know.

Will do.

Thanks
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Jack Cai
That's great to know!

I also reported a bunch of JIRAs against procrun and provided
corresponding fixes, back to a year ago. Can we also make a new
procrun release?

The to-be-committed JIRAs that I worked on include -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-119
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-118
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-116
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-115
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-114
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-113
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-112

I'm happy to help out with either JIRA fixing or testing too.

-Jack

On 01/12/2010 05:17 PM, Jack Cai wrote:

> I also reported a bunch of JIRAs against procrun and provided
> corresponding fixes, back to a year ago. Can we also make a new
> procrun release?

Sure, it'll be part of that release.
I plan to release the windows binaries as well and
axe the one found in tomcat svn, so it'll use
those released binaries instead (renaming them
to tomcatX.exe at build time)

> The to-be-committed JIRAs that I worked on include -
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-119
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-118
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-116
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-115
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-114
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-113
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-112

I'll review them and commit accordingly.

> I'm happy to help out with either JIRA fixing or testing too.

Excellent.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

kevan

On Jan 13, 2010, at 12:04 AM, Mladen Turk wrote:

> On 01/12/2010 05:17 PM, Jack Cai wrote:
>>
>> I also reported a bunch of JIRAs against procrun and provided
>> corresponding fixes, back to a year ago. Can we also make a new
>> procrun release?
>>

> Sure, it'll be part of that release.
> I plan to release the windows binaries as well and
> axe the one found in tomcat svn, so it'll use
> those released binaries instead (renaming them
> to tomcatX.exe at build time)

Nice. That will save us some Geronimo work, also. Thanks!

--kevan

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Jack Cai
Are we making any progress with the new Daemon release?

-Jack

On 02/05/2010 07:36 AM, Jack Cai wrote:
> Are we making any progress with the new Daemon release?

Yes :)
It took a little longer then expected. Next week.

Cheers
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Jack Cai
Cool! Thanks Mladen!

-Jack

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Mladen Turk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/05/2010 07:36 AM, Jack Cai wrote:
>
>> Are we making any progress with the new Daemon release?
>>

> Yes :)
> It took a little longer then expected. Next week.
>
> Cheers
> --
> ^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Jack Cai
Mladem it looks like you are making quite some progress! Thanks a lot!

Any luck to get a Vote started this week?

-Jack

On 02/15/2010 07:36 AM, Jack Cai wrote:
> Any luck to get a Vote started this week?

Sure, that's the plan.
Need to test the build on few more platforms,
and I'll propose a vote.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Mladen Turk-2
I'll tag 1.0.2 and propose a vote this Friday (Feb 19th)
Any objections?

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

mdirkse
None at all.
Thanks for taking the time,
Maarten

On 17 February 2010 13:26, Mladen Turk-3 [via Apache Commons] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'll tag 1.0.2 and propose a vote this Friday (Feb 19th)
Any objections?

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Niall Pemberton
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Mladen Turk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'll tag 1.0.2 and propose a vote this Friday (Feb 19th)
> Any objections?

I made a few minor changes to the maven/ant build files.

There are currently Ant, Maven 1 and Maven 2 builds for Daemon. I
think we should get rid of the Maven 1 build - as long as you're not
going to use that to create the release? I can do that if you're OK
with it.

Just wondering how you create the Daemon release - I guess you have to
generate the native bits, but then what? - do you use Ant or Maven to
package it up. Hopefully Maven 2, because thats set up to generate
some standard stuff for all components (use "mvn -Prc package"  or
"mvn -Prc install") - but the last release was before Daemon's Maven 2
build was there - I can help if you want but I guess the m2 build
(i.e.the bin.xml assembly descriptor) probably needs adjusting.

Niall

On 02/17/2010 02:56 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> I can do that if you're OK with it.

Go for it.

> Just wondering how you create the Daemon release - I guess you have to
> generate the native bits, but then what? - do you use Ant or Maven to
> package it up.

There is currently no way to package the produced native
binaries. I'm not even sure that's needed because the native
binaries are something we do to ease the life for the end users.

Regards
--
^TM

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Mladen Turk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/17/2010 02:56 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> I can do that if you're OK with it.
>>

> Go for it.

OK done

Niall

On 02/17/2010 04:28 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

>> Go for it.
>
> OK done

Thanks, just checked and it works fine.
This release will look different then what we had for
daemon till now. It's obvious we didn't maintain
that for a long time.

So, beside commons-daemon-1.0.2-(assembly) artifacts
I'll add commons-daemon-1.0.2-native-src.(tar.gz & zip) with
jsvc and procrun sources (instead jsvc-x.x.x.tar.gz)
all in the same package.

This could probably also be made by maven in the future.
Right now it's made by ant dist.

There will be also set of native binaries
commons-daemon-1.0.2-windows.zip
   procrun.exe
   procrunw.exe
   x64/procrun.exe
   i64/procrun.exe
commons-daemon-1.0.2-osx-universal.tar.gz
   jsvc
commons-daemon-1.0.2-linux2-i386.tar.gz
   jsvc
commons-daemon-1.0.2-linux2-x86_64.tar.gz
   jsvc
etc ..

I suppose we should add at least LICENCE to
each of the binary packages. WDYT?

Regards
--
^TM

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Mladen Turk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/17/2010 04:28 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>>
>>> Go for it.
>>
>> OK done
>>

> Thanks, just checked and it works fine.
> This release will look different then what we had for
> daemon till now. It's obvious we didn't maintain
> that for a long time.
>
> So, beside commons-daemon-1.0.2-(assembly) artifacts
> I'll add commons-daemon-1.0.2-native-src.(tar.gz & zip) with
> jsvc and procrun sources (instead jsvc-x.x.x.tar.gz)
> all in the same package.
>
> This could probably also be made by maven in the future.
> Right now it's made by ant dist.

I've added a "native-src" assembly descriptor to the maven2 build:

Although I just saw that you just added the native source directories
to the "bin" assembly - which isn't currently going to work using m2
alone.

> There will be also set of native binaries
> commons-daemon-1.0.2-windows.zip
>  procrun.exe
>  procrunw.exe
>  x64/procrun.exe
>  i64/procrun.exe
> commons-daemon-1.0.2-osx-universal.tar.gz
>  jsvc
> commons-daemon-1.0.2-linux2-i386.tar.gz
>  jsvc
> commons-daemon-1.0.2-linux2-x86_64.tar.gz
>  jsvc
> etc ..
>
> I suppose we should add at least LICENCE to
> each of the binary packages. WDYT?

Yes and NOTICE.

Niall