[DBCP] Transaction question

Michael Molloy
I have just started using the DBCP classes in a commercial web
application that I manage, and my boss is thinking about using it in one
that he manages. However, his requires the use of transactions, and I'm
unclear whether DBCP supports transactions.

Is it as simple as checking out a connection, setting autoCommit to
false, then committing the transaction when you're finished? Or is a
connection still used by multiple threads, even after being checked out
of the pool?

Thanks,
--MIchael

Michael Molloy
Senior Software Engineer
Ncycles Software Solutions
901.756.2705

RE: [DBCP] Transaction question

Michael Molloy
Nevermind, I found it in the documentation at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/configuration.html

--Michael

Re: [DBCP] Transaction question

Dirk Verbeeck
It is as simple as you describe, autocommit false, get a connection and
commit/rollback at the end.

Cheers
Dirk

Michael Molloy wrote:

> I have just started using the DBCP classes in a commercial web
> application that I manage, and my boss is thinking about using it in one
> that he manages. However, his requires the use of transactions, and I'm
> unclear whether DBCP supports transactions.
>
> Is it as simple as checking out a connection, setting autoCommit to
> false, then committing the transaction when you're finished? Or is a
> connection still used by multiple threads, even after being checked out
> of the pool?
>
> Thanks,
> --MIchael

> Michael Molloy
> Senior Software Engineer
> Ncycles Software Solutions
> 901.756.2705

RE: [DBCP] Transaction question

Michael Molloy
 Thank you very much.

--Michael

Michael Molloy wrote:

> I have just started using the DBCP classes in a commercial web
> application that I manage, and my boss is thinking about using it in
> one that he manages. However, his requires the use of transactions,
> and I'm unclear whether DBCP supports transactions.
>
> Is it as simple as checking out a connection, setting autoCommit to
> false, then committing the transaction when you're finished? Or is a
> connection still used by multiple threads, even after being checked
> out of the pool?
>
> Thanks,
> --MIchael

> Michael Molloy
> Senior Software Engineer
> Ncycles Software Solutions
> 901.756.2705

Re: [DBCP] Transaction question

Mattias Jiderhamn
Or, if you need an Open Source connection pool with JTA support, have
a look at XAPool and JOTM at ObjectWeb
http://forge.objectweb.org/projects/xapool/ or http://xapool.experlog.com/
http://jotm.objectweb.org/

At 2005-07-25 20:21, you wrote:

>It is as simple as you describe, autocommit false, get a connection
>and commit/rollback at the end.
>
>Cheers
>Dirk
>
>Michael Molloy wrote:
>>I have just started using the DBCP classes in a commercial web
>>application that I manage, and my boss is thinking about using it in one
>>that he manages. However, his requires the use of transactions, and I'm
>>unclear whether DBCP supports transactions.
>>
>>Is it as simple as checking out a connection, setting autoCommit to
>>false, then committing the transaction when you're finished? Or is a
>>connection still used by multiple threads, even after being checked out
>>of the pool?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>--MIchael

>>Michael Molloy