DBCP for connection pooling

Pramodh Peddi
Hi,

I am just about use Apache's DBCP tool to implement connection pooling
in our product (we used to have our own implementation of connection
pooling), which uses MySQL. We will be using this tool to achieve two
benifits mainly:

1. DB Connection pooling.

2. PreparedStatement pooling.

I am sure we will get feature 1, but wondering if this tool really gives
feature2, because I have not heard much about PS pooling offered by this
tool, but I realize there are a couple of configurations options to pool
PS objects.

Are there any other things to keep in mind before using this tool
(Again, we use MySQL)?

Thanks in advance,

Pramodh.

Re: DBCP for connection pooling

Vikram Goyal
Hi Pramodh,

Yes, DBCP is a good tool to use for both of your requirements. It does do
PreparedStatement pooling quite well.

The database that you use has no impact on the usability of a connection
pool (DBCP or otherwise).

HTH,
Vikram Goyal
Jakarta Commons Online Bookshelf