[DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Commons RDF (incubating) has been in the Apache Incubator since 2015,
with an aim to graduate into the Apache Commons PMC.   I think now the
time has come to propose such a move.

This route was agreed with the Commons PMC at the time, and we have
had good guidance from our mentors, including Commons PMC folks Gary
Gregory, Benedikt Ritter and lately myself :)

As noted in the 0.3.0 release today, Commons RDF aims to provide a
common Java API for RDF 1.1 graphs and datasets.  Commons RDF 0.3.0
adds API bindings for Apache Jena, Eclipse RDF4J, JSON-LD Java as well
as a standalone implementation.

http://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/

Now I think Commons RDF is stabilized and is ready to graduate to be a
component under Commons PMC where we can do a 1.0.0 release to mark
the spot.

(Concurrent thread on dev@commonsrdf:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/760b2d58e344e51550dcc9f6452395efe72e97d3dc06169ef72f09c6@%3Cdev.commonsrdf.apache.org%3E
)

I must admit that community-wise Commons RDF is not as strong as when
the podling started - forming a uniform API across multiple
implementations and use cases did mean many hard technical and
semantic discussions which caused some people to withdraw for a while.
Several has since returned as indirect contributors (e.g. code
review).

Now that the Commons RDF API has settled, and given that Commons has a
"any ASF committer have write access" policy and an open development
mode, I would like to propose here (and at dev@commonsrdf) that the
component graduate to be owned by Apache Commons PMC.

Views..?

Here's a project maturity report
https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/blob/master/MATURITY.md

Want to crunch some code ? Have a look at

https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download
https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/
https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

jochen-2
On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Views..?

Start a formal vote.

Jochen

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

Stian Soiland-Reyes
OK, I'll go straight to VOTE in a couple of days to allow
dev@commonsrdf list to sync up first :)

(One questions would be how to do mailing list transition)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (One questions would be how to do mailing list transition)

INFRA ticket?

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

In the read me I see a link to an example that has

public RDF createFactory() {
        return new SimpleRDF();
    }

Is/should a service loader be used to allow pluging in/discovering
implementations?

Gary

On Nov 16, 2016 5:22 AM, "Stian Soiland-Reyes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Peter Ansell
Hi Gary,

There is support for java.util.ServiceLoader with the relevant
META-INF/services files and default constructors, detailed in the
userguide.md file currently, but could also be in README.md:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/blob/master/src/site/markdown/userguide.md#Finding_an_RDF_implementation

However, users may be aware of which implementation they prefer and
use it specifically, to match up with their database drivers or other
libraries so the direct constructor patterns will be used regularly
also.

The main reason for that would be that if you use the ServiceLoader
approach (just using the RDF interface) you don't have object level
access to the mutators to create native Jena/RDF4J/etc. objects out of
the Commons RDF objects. There should still be static methods for
those cases, but they are less simple to use than the mutators in
general.

Cheers,

Peter

On 17 November 2016 at 02:49, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the read me I see a link to an example that has
>
> public RDF createFactory() {
>         return new SimpleRDF();
>     }
>
> Is/should a service loader be used to allow pluging in/discovering
> implementations?
>
> Gary
>
> On Nov 16, 2016 5:22 AM, "Stian Soiland-Reyes" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Commons RDF (incubating) has been in the Apache Incubator since 2015,
> with an aim to graduate into the Apache Commons PMC.   I think now the
> time has come to propose such a move.
>

> This route was agreed with the Commons PMC at the time, and we have
> had good guidance from our mentors, including Commons PMC folks Gary
> Gregory, Benedikt Ritter and lately myself :)
>

> As noted in the 0.3.0 release today, Commons RDF aims to provide a
> common Java API for RDF 1.1 graphs and datasets.  Commons RDF 0.3.0
> adds API bindings for Apache Jena, Eclipse RDF4J, JSON-LD Java as well
> as a standalone implementation.
>
> http://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/
>

> Now I think Commons RDF is stabilized and is ready to graduate to be a
> component under Commons PMC where we can do a 1.0.0 release to mark
> the spot.
>

> (Concurrent thread on dev@commonsrdf:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/760b2d58e344e51550dcc9f6452395
> efe72e97d3dc06169ef72f09c6@%3Cdev.commonsrdf.apache.org%3E
> )
>

> I must admit that community-wise Commons RDF is not as strong as when
> the podling started - forming a uniform API across multiple
> implementations and use cases did mean many hard technical and
> semantic discussions which caused some people to withdraw for a while.
> Several has since returned as indirect contributors (e.g. code
> review).
>

> Now that the Commons RDF API has settled, and given that Commons has a
> "any ASF committer have write access" policy and an open development
> mode, I would like to propose here (and at dev@commonsrdf) that the
> component graduate to be owned by Apache Commons PMC.
>

> Views..?
>

> Here's a project maturity report
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/blob/master/MATURITY.md
>

> Want to crunch some code ? Have a look at
>
> https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/
> https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/
>

> --
> Stian Soiland-Reyes
> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

Peter Ansell
Hi Stian,

I personally don't think Commons RDF is ready for a 1.0.0 release. The
APIs have still been changing recently and many of my comments on pull
requests, both when I was an active member and recently reviewing the
still evolving RDF4J integration, have been deferred to the future and
they would not be easily addressed if a 1.0 release line was declared
now.

However, that isn't a reason to keep it in incubation. Good luck!

Cheers,

Peter

On 17 November 2016 at 00:22, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Commons RDF (incubating) has been in the Apache Incubator since 2015,
> with an aim to graduate into the Apache Commons PMC.   I think now the
> time has come to propose such a move.
>

> This route was agreed with the Commons PMC at the time, and we have
> had good guidance from our mentors, including Commons PMC folks Gary
> Gregory, Benedikt Ritter and lately myself :)
>

> As noted in the 0.3.0 release today, Commons RDF aims to provide a
> common Java API for RDF 1.1 graphs and datasets.  Commons RDF 0.3.0
> adds API bindings for Apache Jena, Eclipse RDF4J, JSON-LD Java as well
> as a standalone implementation.
>
> http://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/
>

> Now I think Commons RDF is stabilized and is ready to graduate to be a
> component under Commons PMC where we can do a 1.0.0 release to mark
> the spot.
>

> (Concurrent thread on dev@commonsrdf:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/760b2d58e344e51550dcc9f6452395efe72e97d3dc06169ef72f09c6@%3Cdev.commonsrdf.apache.org%3E
> )
>

> I must admit that community-wise Commons RDF is not as strong as when
> the podling started - forming a uniform API across multiple
> implementations and use cases did mean many hard technical and
> semantic discussions which caused some people to withdraw for a while.
> Several has since returned as indirect contributors (e.g. code
> review).
>

> Now that the Commons RDF API has settled, and given that Commons has a
> "any ASF committer have write access" policy and an open development
> mode, I would like to propose here (and at dev@commonsrdf) that the
> component graduate to be owned by Apache Commons PMC.
>

> Views..?
>

> Here's a project maturity report
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/blob/master/MATURITY.md
>

> Want to crunch some code ? Have a look at
>
> https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/
> https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/
>

> --
> Stian Soiland-Reyes
> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Agree that many features are brand new in 0.3.0; I did not mean to imply
that 1.0.0 would be a rubber stamp copy of 0.3.0, but after sorting the
issues, like what we found during your review, for instance the RDFSyntax
as interface instead of enum, or transactions.

Were there any of the issues from your review that we didn't record in
Jira..?

We also need to decide if parser/writer is in or out, and if so what those
interfaces should look like.

Would you be willing to help stabilise, perhaps towards an intermediate
0.4.0 under Commons? Just similar reviews would be a large help!

On 16 Nov 2016 10:25 pm, "Peter Ansell" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stian,
>
> I personally don't think Commons RDF is ready for a 1.0.0 release. The
> APIs have still been changing recently and many of my comments on pull
> requests, both when I was an active member and recently reviewing the
> still evolving RDF4J integration, have been deferred to the future and
> they would not be easily addressed if a 1.0 release line was declared
> now.
>
> However, that isn't a reason to keep it in incubation. Good luck!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter
>
> On 17 November 2016 at 00:22, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Commons RDF (incubating) has been in the Apache Incubator since 2015,
> > with an aim to graduate into the Apache Commons PMC.   I think now the
> > time has come to propose such a move.
> >

> > This route was agreed with the Commons PMC at the time, and we have
> > had good guidance from our mentors, including Commons PMC folks Gary
> > Gregory, Benedikt Ritter and lately myself :)
> >

> > As noted in the 0.3.0 release today, Commons RDF aims to provide a
> > common Java API for RDF 1.1 graphs and datasets.  Commons RDF 0.3.0
> > adds API bindings for Apache Jena, Eclipse RDF4J, JSON-LD Java as well
> > as a standalone implementation.
> >
> > http://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/
> >

> > Now I think Commons RDF is stabilized and is ready to graduate to be a
> > component under Commons PMC where we can do a 1.0.0 release to mark
> > the spot.
> >

> > (Concurrent thread on dev@commonsrdf:
> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/760b2d58e344e51550dcc9f6452395
> efe72e97d3dc06169ef72f09c6@%3Cdev.commonsrdf.apache.org%3E
> > )
> >

> > I must admit that community-wise Commons RDF is not as strong as when
> > the podling started - forming a uniform API across multiple
> > implementations and use cases did mean many hard technical and
> > semantic discussions which caused some people to withdraw for a while.
> > Several has since returned as indirect contributors (e.g. code
> > review).
> >

> > Now that the Commons RDF API has settled, and given that Commons has a
> > "any ASF committer have write access" policy and an open development
> > mode, I would like to propose here (and at dev@commonsrdf) that the
> > component graduate to be owned by Apache Commons PMC.
> >

> > Views..?
> >

> > Here's a project maturity report
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/blob/master/MATURITY.md
> >

> > Want to crunch some code ? Have a look at
> >
> > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/
> > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/
> >

> > --
> > Stian Soiland-Reyes
> > http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

Great news TY. A look up API would be handy but not required.

Gary

On Nov 16, 2016 2:02 PM, "Peter Ansell" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Several has since returned as indirect contributors (e.g. code
> > review).
> >

> > Now that the Commons RDF API has settled, and given that Commons has a
> > "any ASF committer have write access" policy and an open development
> > mode, I would like to propose here (and at dev@commonsrdf) that the
> > component graduate to be owned by Apache Commons PMC.
> >

> > Views..?
> >

> > Here's a project maturity report
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/blob/master/MATURITY.md
> >

> > Want to crunch some code ? Have a look at
> >
> > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/
> > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/
> >

> > --
> > Stian Soiland-Reyes
> > http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

Another is that ServiceLoader don't work well under OSGi without careful
hand holding, so it may be best to leave that to the consumer code rather
than say have a static method in the API with a fixed ServiceLoader.

(I always have trouble with the ServiceLoader instances built in to Java,
which become very sensitive to which thread initates first)

It might be worth adding the OSGi service @annotations (or corresponding
XML files) so RDF implementations can be used as OSGI services; all Commons
RDF modules should already be bundles.

OSGi is probably a good fit with Commons RDF as a library can export only
use of interfaces org.apache.commons.rdf.api, but depend on say RDF4J
internally or get any RDF implementation injected as an OSGi service; which
would not be visible to clients of said library.

And as the Commons RDF API is interoperable, another part of the
application may use Jena (without knowing it) and pass say a Graph to said
library without any problems.

BTW, anchor link didn't work because GitHub and Maven have different
Markdown flavours, link is instead:

https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/userguide.html#Finding_an_RDF_implementation

As noted in there, care must be taken with reuse of an RDF instance and
labeled blank nodes: there is no RDFFactoryFactory.
rdf.getClass().newInstance() should work for anything from a ServiceLoader
(but not an OSGi Service which uses proxy classes).

On 16 Nov 2016 10:02 pm, "Peter Ansell" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Several has since returned as indirect contributors (e.g. code
> > review).
> >

> > Now that the Commons RDF API has settled, and given that Commons has a
> > "any ASF committer have write access" policy and an open development
> > mode, I would like to propose here (and at dev@commonsrdf) that the
> > component graduate to be owned by Apache Commons PMC.
> >

> > Views..?
> >

> > Here's a project maturity report
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/blob/master/MATURITY.md
> >

> > Want to crunch some code ? Have a look at
> >
> > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/
> > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/
> >

> > --
> > Stian Soiland-Reyes
> > http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

Benedikt Ritter-4
I think we can move RDF to Commons regardless of the maturity of the API.
We have other proper components which never had a release. RDF already had
three.

Benedikt

Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 16. Nov. 2016 um
23:52:

> [...]
> > > Several has since returned as indirect contributors (e.g. code
> > > review).
> > >

> > > Now that the Commons RDF API has settled, and given that Commons has a
> > > "any ASF committer have write access" policy and an open development
> > > mode, I would like to propose here (and at dev@commonsrdf) that the
> > > component graduate to be owned by Apache Commons PMC.
> > >

> > > Views..?
> > >

> > > Here's a project maturity report
> > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/blob/master/MATURITY.md
> > >

> > > Want to crunch some code ? Have a look at
> > >
> > > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download
> > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/
> > > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/
> > >

> > > --
> > > Stian Soiland-Reyes
> > > http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

garydgregory
I am more concerned about the size of the community here. Is Paul still
involved in the code, still wants to be involved, or do we have an SME pool
size of 1?

Gary

On Nov 16, 2016 11:09 PM, "Benedikt Ritter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > use it specifically, to match up with their database drivers or other
> > > libraries so the direct constructor patterns will be used regularly
> > > also.
> > >
> > > The main reason for that would be that if you use the ServiceLoader
> > > approach (just using the RDF interface) you don't have object level
> > > access to the mutators to create native Jena/RDF4J/etc. objects out of
> > > the Commons RDF objects. There should still be static methods for
> > > those cases, but they are less simple to use than the mutators in
> > > general.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Peter

> the

> well

> while.

> master/MATURITY.md

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

Yes, I don't mind keeping reviewing pull requests for the future. I
made a lot of comments, and inevitably some of them may have slipped
through the cracks and not been fixed as part of the pull request
review process or been postponed and recorded in Jira. However, I will
still be a consumer of the API through both JSONLD-Java and RDF4J, so
when things do stablise I plan on scheduling some time to do a full
review, given I haven't been part of the day to day development so
haven't been tracking everything closely for the past 18 months or so.

On 17 November 2016 at 09:36, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > Several has since returned as indirect contributors (e.g. code
>> > review).
>> >

>> > Now that the Commons RDF API has settled, and given that Commons has a
>> > "any ASF committer have write access" policy and an open development
>> > mode, I would like to propose here (and at dev@commonsrdf) that the
>> > component graduate to be owned by Apache Commons PMC.
>> >

>> > Views..?
>> >

>> > Here's a project maturity report
>> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/blob/master/MATURITY.md
>> >

>> > Want to crunch some code ? Have a look at
>> >
>> > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download
>> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/
>> > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/apidocs/
>> >

>> > --
>> > Stian Soiland-Reyes
>> > http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Peter Ansell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yes, I don't mind keeping reviewing pull requests for the future. I
> made a lot of comments, and inevitably some of them may have slipped
> through the cracks and not been fixed as part of the pull request
> review process or been postponed and recorded in Jira. However, I will
> still be a consumer of the API through both JSONLD-Java and RDF4J, so
> when things do stablise I plan on scheduling some time to do a full
> review, given I haven't been part of the day to day development so
> haven't been tracking everything closely for the past 18 months or so.

Any time you can spend on this is a good thing.

Gary

> On 17 November 2016 at 09:36, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Agree that many features are brand new in 0.3.0; I did not mean to imply
> > that 1.0.0 would be a rubber stamp copy of 0.3.0, but after sorting the
> > issues, like what we found during your review, for instance the RDFSyntax
> > as interface instead of enum, or transactions.
> >
> > Were there any of the issues from your review that we didn't record in
> > Jira..?
> >
> > We also need to decide if parser/writer is in or out, and if so what
> those
> > interfaces should look like.
> >
> > Would you be willing to help stabilise, perhaps towards an intermediate
> > 0.4.0 under Commons? Just similar reviews would be a large help!
> >
> > On 16 Nov 2016 10:25 pm, "Peter Ansell" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Stian,
> >>
> >> I personally don't think Commons RDF is ready for a 1.0.0 release. The
> >> APIs have still been changing recently and many of my comments on pull
> >> requests, both when I was an active member and recently reviewing the
> >> still evolving RDF4J integration, have been deferred to the future and
> >> they would not be easily addressed if a 1.0 release line was declared
> >> now.
> >>
> >> However, that isn't a reason to keep it in incubation. Good luck!
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Peter

> >> efe72e97d3dc06169ef72f09c6@%3Cdev.commonsrdf.apache.org%3E

> master/MATURITY.md

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

John D. Ament
Sometimes, we have to believe in github's data.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/graphs/contributors

It indicates its primarily Stian, a bit of Sergio.  Andy has helped a bit, but I do believe Peter has stepped away from the project based on the mail archives.

John

On 2016-11-17 12:11 (-0500), Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am more concerned about the size of the community here. Is Paul still
> involved in the code, still wants to be involved, or do we have an SME pool
> size of 1?
>
> Gary
>
> On Nov 16, 2016 11:09 PM, "Benedikt Ritter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I think we can move RDF to Commons regardless of the maturity of the API.
> > We have other proper components which never had a release. RDF already had
> > three.
> >
> > Benedikt
> >
> > Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 16. Nov. 2016 um
> > 23:52:
> >
> > > Another is that ServiceLoader don't work well under OSGi without careful
> > > hand holding, so it may be best to leave that to the consumer code rather
> > > than say have a static method in the API with a fixed ServiceLoader.
> > >
> > > (I always have trouble with the ServiceLoader instances built in to Java,
> > > which become very sensitive to which thread initates first)
> > >
> > > It might be worth adding the OSGi service @annotations (or corresponding
> > > XML files) so RDF implementations can be used as OSGI services; all
> > Commons
> > > RDF modules should already be bundles.
> > >
> > > OSGi is probably a good fit with Commons RDF as a library can export only
> > > use of interfaces org.apache.commons.rdf.api, but depend on say RDF4J
> > > internally or get any RDF implementation injected as an OSGi service;
> > which
> > > would not be visible to clients of said library.
> > >
> > > And as the Commons RDF API is interoperable, another part of the
> > > application may use Jena (without knowing it) and pass say a Graph to
> > said
> > > library without any problems.
> > >
> > > BTW, anchor link didn't work because GitHub and Maven have different
> > > Markdown flavours, link is instead:
> > >

> > > https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/userguide.html#
> > Finding_an_RDF_implementation
> > >
> > > As noted in there, care must be taken with reuse of an RDF instance and
> > > labeled blank nodes: there is no RDFFactoryFactory.
> > > rdf.getClass().newInstance() should work for anything from a
> > ServiceLoader
> > > (but not an OSGi Service which uses proxy classes).

> > the

> > well

> > while.

> > master/MATURITY.md

Re: [DISCUSS] Commons RDF as new component?

Peter Ansell
Hi John,

Yes, I have stepped away from the PMC, but I have been reviewing pull
requests on Github, mostly the RDF4J and JSONLD-Java integrations
which I am a contributor to.

Most of my contributions were done before moving the project into
Apache incubation. The previous repository has been archived, but
still exists to delineate the crossing point:

https://github.com/commons-rdf/commons-rdf/graphs/contributors

Cheers,

Peter