[DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi,

do we still need a vote for moving components to git? We have done this so often that I think we could change the process to a simply mail announcing intents to move a component.

Thoughts?
Benedikt


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

Amey Jadiye
I think just announcing with intention is enough as git is always better
than svn and at some point everyone will wish to move on git.

so +1 to just announce it.

Regards,
Amey

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017, 12:51 PM Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> do we still need a vote for moving components to git? We have done this so
> often that I think we could change the process to a simply mail announcing
> intents to move a component.
>
> Thoughts?
> Benedikt
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

Stefan Bodewig
In reply to this post by Benedikt Ritter-4
On 2017-06-28, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> do we still need a vote for moving components to git? We have done
> this so often that I think we could change the process to a simply
> mail announcing intents to move a component.

Hmm, what if one of the active developers of the component then says
she/he would prefer to stick with svn? We've had such cases in the past.

If you then reconsider or at least start to discuss I don't really see
the difference between a lazy vote and the announcement.

Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

Stefan Bodewig
In reply to this post by Amey Jadiye
On 2017-06-28, Amey Jadiye wrote:

> I think just announcing with intention is enough as git is always better
> than svn and at some point everyone will wish to move on git.

There certainly are people who disagree with your (I'm not one of them) ;-)

Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

Amey Jadiye
In reply to this post by Amey Jadiye
unless there is strong reason to stick with svn we should move on git(as
many other already moved). I agree that in few cases svn is preferred and
that may open huge discussion but atleast for Commons I don't see much
advantages to use svn. people who are using svn from long time usually
comes in comfort zone since svn is really really easy to use. :)

Regards,
Amey

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017, 1:00 PM Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-06-28, Amey Jadiye wrote:
>
> > I think just announcing with intention is enough as git is always better
> > than svn and at some point everyone will wish to move on git.
>
> There certainly are people who disagree with your (I'm not one of them) ;-)
>
> Stefan
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

Matt Sicker
The only objection I've seen to switching on any project so far was other
projects using svn:external to sync up a commons project, but there are
workarounds for that (e.g., the GitHub svn mirror).

On 28 June 2017 at 03:45, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:

> unless there is strong reason to stick with svn we should move on git(as
> many other already moved). I agree that in few cases svn is preferred and
> that may open huge discussion but atleast for Commons I don't see much
> advantages to use svn. people who are using svn from long time usually
> comes in comfort zone since svn is really really easy to use. :)
>
> Regards,
> Amey
>
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017, 1:00 PM Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 2017-06-28, Amey Jadiye wrote:
> >
> > > I think just announcing with intention is enough as git is always
> better
> > > than svn and at some point everyone will wish to move on git.
> >
> > There certainly are people who disagree with your (I'm not one of them)
> ;-)
> >
> > Stefan
> >
>



--
Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

garydgregory
In reply to this post by Benedikt Ritter-4
I am OK with keeping the lazy vote since it is pretty frictionless, and
gives people the opportunity to officially raise their hand and show why
this is a problem for them. In practice though, moving everything to Git is
just a matter of time. I can imagine that we would just move components to
the attic that eventually do not get moved to Git. IOW, eventually move to
Git or move to the attic.

Gary

On Jun 28, 2017 00:21, "Benedikt Ritter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> do we still need a vote for moving components to git? We have done this so
> often that I think we could change the process to a simply mail announcing
> intents to move a component.
>
> Thoughts?
> Benedikt
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

jochen-2
In reply to this post by Benedikt Ritter-4
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> do we still need a vote for moving components to git? We have done this so often that I think we could change the process to a simply mail announcing intents to move a component.

No harm done by starting a lazy vote. And, whatever component you've
got in mind: The overhead to start and have this discussion will
definitely be greater than the overhead of having the vote.

Jochen


--
The next time you hear: "Don't reinvent the wheel!"

http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [DISCUSS] Do we need a vote for moving components to git?

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi All,

okay, so I conclude that we currently see no need to change our process. I’m fine with that.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic!
Benedikt

> Am 29.06.2017 um 09:20 schrieb Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> do we still need a vote for moving components to git? We have done this so often that I think we could change the process to a simply mail announcing intents to move a component.
>
> No harm done by starting a lazy vote. And, whatever component you've
> got in mind: The overhead to start and have this discussion will
> definitely be greater than the overhead of having the vote.
>
> Jochen
>
>
> --
> The next time you hear: "Don't reinvent the wheel!"
>
> http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]