[DISCUSS] promotion and release of [weaver] component

[DISCUSS] promotion and release of [weaver] component

Matt Benson-2
I propose that the [weaver] component [1] is ready for release.  I am the
primary contributor to the code, but Mark Struberg also worked on the core
architecture.  As soon as [weaver] is released I intend to incorporate the
privilizer module into Apache BVal, and at least at one point it was
planned that it would be similarly used in Apache OpenWebBeans, so
hopefully these will reduce its risk of being orphaned.  Does anyone have
any concerns before I put the promotion of [weaver] to a proper component
to a vote?

Thanks,
Matt

[1] https://commons.apache.org/sandbox/commons-weaver/index.html

Re: [DISCUSS] promotion and release of [weaver] component

Dave Brosius-2
On 09/17/2013 04:40 PM, Matt Benson wrote:

> I propose that the [weaver] component [1] is ready for release.  I am the
> primary contributor to the code, but Mark Struberg also worked on the core
> architecture.  As soon as [weaver] is released I intend to incorporate the
> privilizer module into Apache BVal, and at least at one point it was
> planned that it would be similarly used in Apache OpenWebBeans, so
> hopefully these will reduce its risk of being orphaned.  Does anyone have
> any concerns before I put the promotion of [weaver] to a proper component
> to a vote?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> [1] https://commons.apache.org/sandbox/commons-weaver/index.html

should the class loader creation in WeaveProcessor/CleanProcessor be
done in a AccessController.doPrivileged block?

Re: [DISCUSS] promotion and release of [weaver] component

Go for it!

Send from my mobile device

Am 17.09.2013 um 22:40 schrieb Matt Benson <[hidden email]>:

> I propose that the [weaver] component [1] is ready for release.  I am the
> primary contributor to the code, but Mark Struberg also worked on the core
> architecture.  As soon as [weaver] is released I intend to incorporate the
> privilizer module into Apache BVal, and at least at one point it was
> planned that it would be similarly used in Apache OpenWebBeans, so
> hopefully these will reduce its risk of being orphaned.  Does anyone have
> any concerns before I put the promotion of [weaver] to a proper component
> to a vote?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> [1] https://commons.apache.org/sandbox/commons-weaver/index.html

Re: [DISCUSS] promotion and release of [weaver] component

Matt Benson-2
Hmm... well, the typical usage profile for WeaveProcessor/CleanProcessor
would be that it is invoked by Maven or Ant, so I wouldn't usually (ever?)
expect an active SecurityManager in these contexts.  That leaves custom
stuff, the nature of which I can't really begin to imagine having just
woken up.  ;)  IMO it doesn't really seem like an issue, but if you feel it
could be important you could do a little hacking.  :D

Matt

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/17/2013 04:40 PM, Matt Benson wrote:
>
>> I propose that the [weaver] component [1] is ready for release.  I am the
>> primary contributor to the code, but Mark Struberg also worked on the core
>> architecture.  As soon as [weaver] is released I intend to incorporate the
>> privilizer module into Apache BVal, and at least at one point it was
>> planned that it would be similarly used in Apache OpenWebBeans, so
>> hopefully these will reduce its risk of being orphaned.  Does anyone have
>> any concerns before I put the promotion of [weaver] to a proper component
>> to a vote?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt
>>
>> [1] https://commons.apache.org/**sandbox/commons-weaver/index.**html<https://commons.apache.org/sandbox/commons-weaver/index.html>
>>

> should the class loader creation in WeaveProcessor/CleanProcessor be done
> in a AccessController.doPrivileged block?

Re: [DISCUSS] promotion and release of [weaver] component

Romain Manni-Bucau
+1, not that important for the first release "build" oriented but if
we extend the concept to runtimes it should be done but it is not that
easy since you need to take care of current context to know if you are
in a container or not and if you use right perms.
Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

2013/9/18 Matt Benson <[hidden email]>:

> Hmm... well, the typical usage profile for WeaveProcessor/CleanProcessor
> would be that it is invoked by Maven or Ant, so I wouldn't usually (ever?)
> expect an active SecurityManager in these contexts.  That leaves custom
> stuff, the nature of which I can't really begin to imagine having just
> woken up.  ;)  IMO it doesn't really seem like an issue, but if you feel it
> could be important you could do a little hacking.  :D
>
> Matt
>

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 09/17/2013 04:40 PM, Matt Benson wrote:
>>
>>> I propose that the [weaver] component [1] is ready for release.  I am the
>>> primary contributor to the code, but Mark Struberg also worked on the core
>>> architecture.  As soon as [weaver] is released I intend to incorporate the
>>> privilizer module into Apache BVal, and at least at one point it was
>>> planned that it would be similarly used in Apache OpenWebBeans, so
>>> hopefully these will reduce its risk of being orphaned.  Does anyone have
>>> any concerns before I put the promotion of [weaver] to a proper component
>>> to a vote?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Matt
>>>
>>> [1] https://commons.apache.org/**sandbox/commons-weaver/index.**html<https://commons.apache.org/sandbox/commons-weaver/index.html>
>>>

>> should the class loader creation in WeaveProcessor/CleanProcessor be done
>> in a AccessController.doPrivileged block?

Re: [DISCUSS] promotion and release of [weaver] component

Matt Benson-2
My intention for runtime weaving would be to bootstrap the weave process in
another manner (I don't think cleaning is relevant to run time). The
processor module is described as defining the SPI and providing the
filesystem-based/build time infrastructure to invoke the service providers.
Does that make sense?

Matt
On Sep 18, 2013 7:50 AM, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, not that important for the first release "build" oriented but if
> we extend the concept to runtimes it should be done but it is not that
> easy since you need to take care of current context to know if you are
> in a container or not and if you use right perms.
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau
>

> 2013/9/18 Matt Benson <[hidden email]>:
> > Hmm... well, the typical usage profile for WeaveProcessor/CleanProcessor
> > would be that it is invoked by Maven or Ant, so I wouldn't usually
> (ever?)
> > expect an active SecurityManager in these contexts.  That leaves custom
> > stuff, the nature of which I can't really begin to imagine having just
> > woken up.  ;)  IMO it doesn't really seem like an issue, but if you feel
> it
> > could be important you could do a little hacking.  :D
> >
> > Matt
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> the
> core
> the
> have
> component

> https://commons.apache.org/sandbox/commons-weaver/index.html>
> >>>

> >> should the class loader creation in WeaveProcessor/CleanProcessor be
> done
> >> in a AccessController.doPrivileged block?

> [hidden email]>

Re: [DISCUSS] promotion and release of [weaver] component

Romain Manni-Bucau
yep from my side