[FUNCTOR] Why do we have an API module?

I’m about to start work on functor. Looking at the project, I wonder why we have a separation bewteen an API module and implementations. This feels like overkill to me for a project like functor. Further more I don’t see other parties extending the stuff in the API module. If nobody objects, I’d like to remove the multi-module build and move everything into a single code base.

Re: [FUNCTOR] Why do we have an API module?

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
No objection here too. I've been gathering some links about other libraries and extensions to Java 8, to have a look at functor in the future and see if it would be interesting to have something there, unless it made more sense to put it on lang.

The reason for the API module, if memory serves me well, was to provide a pre Java 8 implementation. This way we would have

- api
- an implementation for Java 7
- an implementation Java 8 that used Lambdas

Though right now, with Java 9 around the corner, a single module, trying to provide useful code that doesn't fit in lang would be better IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Bruno
________________________________
I’m about to start work on functor. Looking at the project, I wonder why we have a separation bewteen an API module and implementations. This feels like overkill to me for a project like functor. Further more I don’t see other parties extending the stuff in the API module. If nobody objects, I’d like to remove the multi-module build and move everything into a single code base.

Re: [FUNCTOR] Why do we have an API module?

Matt Benson-3
Yes, the point of the API module was to define the functional interfaces
separately from the utility code around them; particularly pre-Java 8,
these could be used apart from the utility code from the core.

Matt

On Jun 16, 2017 4:27 AM, "Bruno P. Kinoshita"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

No objection here too. I've been gathering some links about other libraries
and extensions to Java 8, to have a look at functor in the future and see
if it would be interesting to have something there, unless it made more
sense to put it on lang.

The reason for the API module, if memory serves me well, was to provide a
pre Java 8 implementation. This way we would have

- api
- an implementation for Java 7
- an implementation Java 8 that used Lambdas

Though right now, with Java 9 around the corner, a single module, trying to
provide useful code that doesn't fit in lang would be better IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Bruno
________________________________

Re: [FUNCTOR] Why do we have an API module?

> Am 16.06.2017 um 13:03 schrieb Matt Benson <[hidden email]>:
>
> Yes, the point of the API module was to define the functional interfaces
> separately from the utility code around them; particularly pre-Java 8,
> these could be used apart from the utility code from the core.

Since we discussed to just release functor for Java 8, do we still need this separation?

> Matt
>
> On Jun 16, 2017 4:27 AM, "Bruno P. Kinoshita"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No objection here too. I've been gathering some links about other libraries
> and extensions to Java 8, to have a look at functor in the future and see
> if it would be interesting to have something there, unless it made more
> sense to put it on lang.
>

> The reason for the API module, if memory serves me well, was to provide a
> pre Java 8 implementation. This way we would have
>
> - api
> - an implementation for Java 7
> - an implementation Java 8 that used Lambdas
>
> Though right now, with Java 9 around the corner, a single module, trying to
> provide useful code that doesn't fit in lang would be better IMHO.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Thanks
> Bruno
> ________________________________

Matt Benson-2
If we want to repurpose functor for Java 8 then I imagine we'd just
use their interfaces, for the most part. So the API module would
indeed probably go away.

Matt

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Am 16.06.2017 um 13:03 schrieb Matt Benson <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Yes, the point of the API module was to define the functional interfaces
>> separately from the utility code around them; particularly pre-Java 8,
>> these could be used apart from the utility code from the core.
>
> Since we discussed to just release functor for Java 8, do we still need this separation?
>
> Cheers,
> Benedikt
>

>> Matt
>>
>> On Jun 16, 2017 4:27 AM, "Bruno P. Kinoshita"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No objection here too. I've been gathering some links about other libraries
>> and extensions to Java 8, to have a look at functor in the future and see
>> if it would be interesting to have something there, unless it made more
>> sense to put it on lang.
>>

>> The reason for the API module, if memory serves me well, was to provide a
>> pre Java 8 implementation. This way we would have
>>
>> - api
>> - an implementation for Java 7
>> - an implementation Java 8 that used Lambdas
>>
>> Though right now, with Java 9 around the corner, a single module, trying to
>> provide useful code that doesn't fit in lang would be better IMHO.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bruno
>> ________________________________

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi Matt,

what is your opinion in this topic (targeting Java 8)

Benedikt

Matt Benson <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa. 24. Juni 2017 um 19:18:

> If we want to repurpose functor for Java 8 then I imagine we'd just
> use their interfaces, for the most part. So the API module would
> indeed probably go away.
>
> Matt
>
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> Am 16.06.2017 um 13:03 schrieb Matt Benson <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Yes, the point of the API module was to define the functional interfaces
> >> separately from the utility code around them; particularly pre-Java 8,
> >> these could be used apart from the utility code from the core.
> >
> > Since we discussed to just release functor for Java 8, do we still need
> this separation?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Benedikt
> >

> >> Matt
> >>
> >> On Jun 16, 2017 4:27 AM, "Bruno P. Kinoshita"
> >> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> No objection here too. I've been gathering some links about other
> libraries
> >> and extensions to Java 8, to have a look at functor in the future and
> see
> >> if it would be interesting to have something there, unless it made more
> >> sense to put it on lang.
> >>

> >> The reason for the API module, if memory serves me well, was to provide
> >> pre Java 8 implementation. This way we would have
> >>
> >> - api
> >> - an implementation for Java 7
> >> - an implementation Java 8 that used Lambdas
> >>
> >> Though right now, with Java 9 around the corner, a single module,
> trying to
> >> provide useful code that doesn't fit in lang would be better IMHO.
> >>
> >> Hope that helps.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Bruno
> >> ________________________________

TBH, I don't know that I think there's a reason to do such a library
unless it's really a game changer. Some years ago I was working on
some code outside the ASF, but it never went anywhere. The approach I
took would have been pretty controversial, but we're so behind the
curve here there's no reason IMO to do anything if it's not fairly
radical.

Matt

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> what is your opinion in this topic (targeting Java 8)
>
> Benedikt
>
> Matt Benson <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa. 24. Juni 2017 um 19:18:
>
>> If we want to repurpose functor for Java 8 then I imagine we'd just
>> use their interfaces, for the most part. So the API module would
>> indeed probably go away.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > Since we discussed to just release functor for Java 8, do we still need
>> this separation?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Benedikt

>> libraries
>> see

>> trying to

Currently functor is somehow in limbo state. It has been promoted to proper, but there has never been a release. So I wonder what we want to do with it. Currently I’m thinking about a library providing some utility functor implementations. That’s the reason I thought only targeting Java 8 would be a good idea.

Thank you. Your input here is very much appreciated!

> Matt
>
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> what is your opinion in this topic (targeting Java 8)
>>
>> Benedikt
>>
>> Matt Benson <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa. 24. Juni 2017 um 19:18:
>>
>>> If we want to repurpose functor for Java 8 then I imagine we'd just
>>> use their interfaces, for the most part. So the API module would
>>> indeed probably go away.
>>>
>>> Matt

>>> this separation?

>>> libraries
>>> see

>>> trying to

Simon Spero
On Jun 25, 2017 5:54 AM, "Benedikt Ritter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> Am 24.06.2017 um 20:19 schrieb Matt Benson <[hidden email]>:
>
> TBH, I don't know that I think there's a reason to do such a
library unless it's really a game changer.

Currently functor is somehow in limbo state. It has been promoted to
proper, but there has never been a release. So I wonder what we want to do
with it.

I think Matt has the right of it.

If there's no current need for Functor, and it's never had a  release, does
it need to make a sound?

A lot of the current snapshot is redundant under plain old JDK 8;  much of
the rest is subsumed by various functional and/or reactive libraries (of
which there are quite a few).  AOL's Cyclops [1] bridges a bunch of these
(e.g. [2],[3].[4]). Is there anything that isn't provided for in cyclops or
one of the things it bridges?

Simon

[1]     https://github.com/aol/cyclops-react/wiki
[2]     https://www.vavr.io/vavr-docs/