Fileupload problem via SSL.

Zsolt Koppany
Hi,

We use struts-1.2.4 and tomcat-5.0.28 with jdk-1.2.4_08 on Linux (SuSe-9.1)
and apache- Apache/2.0.49 with mod_jk1.2.14.

Very often when we try to upload a file (several types such as jpeg, ppt
etc.) we get an error message from Internet-Explorer "page cannot be shown"
(my translation from German).

Not always but very often (absolutely not reliable).

We don't see any error messages, neither in apache nor in tomcat (if there
had been no request at all).

Apache is configured to redirect all non-SSL request to SSL, but I think
that shouldn't cause any problems because that happens only once (the user
must first log-in, then go through several dialogs before he can upload,
thus the redirection is done much earlier).

Except that, everything is very stable.

Any ideas?

Zsolt

Re: Fileupload problem via SSL.

Brian Cook

Hmmmm.  Is it possible that in the case of large files the time it is
taking to upload and decrypt them is taking longer that Apache is
configuured to wait?  Causing Apache ot time out?  Another though I know
we have problems with file uploads if the file name includes Unicode
characters.

If it is intermittent I would add a System.out.println("") line to each
step of the process that uses commons.fileUpload.

That way you can track the steps of the process.  That way you can go
back though and see which ones do not complete the process and at which
step they are failing.

You will want to add the date and session ID to it so you can track keep
them together.

Examples:

System.out.println(new java.util.Date()+" - "+session.getId()+"
HttpRequest passed mime type if test.");

System.out.println(new java.util.Date()+" - "+session.getId()+" found a
file form.");

System.out.println(new java.util.Date()+" - "+session.getId()+" saving
file as....");

Zsolt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We use struts-1.2.4 and tomcat-5.0.28 with jdk-1.2.4_08 on Linux (SuSe-9.1)
> and apache- Apache/2.0.49 with mod_jk1.2.14.
>
> Very often when we try to upload a file (several types such as jpeg, ppt
> etc.) we get an error message from Internet-Explorer "page cannot be shown"
> (my translation from German).
>
> Not always but very often (absolutely not reliable).
>
> We don't see any error messages, neither in apache nor in tomcat (if there
> had been no request at all).
>
> Apache is configured to redirect all non-SSL request to SSL, but I think
> that shouldn't cause any problems because that happens only once (the user
> must first log-in, then go through several dialogs before he can upload,
> thus the redirection is done much earlier).
>
> Except that, everything is very stable.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Zsolt

Brian Cook
Digital Services Analyst
Print Time Inc.
[hidden email]
913.345.8900

RE: Fileupload problem via SSL.

Zsolt Koppany
Thank you Brian,

it was a small file. The reason was internet explorer that needs in apache:

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

Zsolt

Simon Kitching
This looks like useful information to add to the FAQ on the wiki....
  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/FileUpload

Regards,

Simon