[Filter] No code?

Gilles Sadowski
Hello.

As of today (revision 1778484), the SVN repository
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/filter/trunk
is empty. :(

What is the status/roadmap?

Re: [Filter] No code?

Bernd Porr
Hi Gilles,

I *think* I suggested to add a couple of subdirs. One of them with my
IIR filter code and another one for the Kalman filter in it. However, I
don't have write access to it so I think Eric is planning of doing it.

Best,
/Bernd

On 13/01/17 01:33, Gilles wrote:

> Hello.
>
> As of today (revision 1778484), the SVN repository
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/filter/trunk
> is empty. :(
>
> What is the status/roadmap?

http://www.berndporr.me.uk
http://www.attys.tech
http://www.linux-usb-daq.co.uk
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3293421/
+44 (0)7840 340069

Re: [Filter] No code?

Eric Barnhill
That was where we left it. I asked Bernd if he did not have write access to
the sandbox. If there was a reply to that I didn't see it.

This would be the key thing to sort out. Can Bernd write to the sandbox or
is it committers only? If it is only committers, I am happily to push
Bernd's contributions I just need to know what the procedure is going to
be.

Eric

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Bernd Porr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gilles,
>
> I *think* I suggested to add a couple of subdirs. One of them with my IIR
> filter code and another one for the Kalman filter in it. However, I don't
> have write access to it so I think Eric is planning of doing it.
>
> Best,
> /Bernd
>

> On 13/01/17 01:33, Gilles wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> As of today (revision 1778484), the SVN repository
>>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/filter/trunk
>> is empty. :(
>>
>> What is the status/roadmap?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gilles

> http://www.berndporr.me.uk
> http://www.attys.tech
> http://www.linux-usb-daq.co.uk
> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3293421/
> +44 (0)7840 340069

[ALL][SigProc] Repository for component candidate? (Was: No code?)

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

I'd like to ask INFRA to create a git repository (following the path
taken
by "Commons Text").

Any objection?

Gilles

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 09:51:15 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:

> That was where we left it. I asked Bernd if he did not have write
> access to
> the sandbox. If there was a reply to that I didn't see it.
>
> This would be the key thing to sort out. Can Bernd write to the
> sandbox or
> is it committers only? If it is only committers, I am happily to push
> Bernd's contributions I just need to know what the procedure is going
> be.
>
> Eric
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Bernd Porr <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gilles,
>>
>> I *think* I suggested to add a couple of subdirs. One of them with
>> my IIR
>> filter code and another one for the Kalman filter in it. However, I
>> don't
>> have write access to it so I think Eric is planning of doing it.
>>
>> Best,
>> /Bernd
>>

>> On 13/01/17 01:33, Gilles wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> As of today (revision 1778484), the SVN repository
>>>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/filter/trunk
>>> is empty. :(
>>>
>>> What is the status/roadmap?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gilles

Re: [ALL][SigProc] Repository for component candidate? (Was: No code?)

Emmanuel Bourg-4
Le 13/01/2017 à 12:04, Gilles a écrit :

> I'd like to ask INFRA to create a git repository (following the path taken
> by "Commons Text").
>
> Any objection?

I'd suggest discussing the name and the scope of the component first,
that would avoid bugging the infra team for renaming the repository later.

Emmanuel Bourg

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:28:24 +0100, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Le 13/01/2017 à 12:04, Gilles a écrit :
>
>> I'd like to ask INFRA to create a git repository (following the path
>> taken
>> by "Commons Text").
>>
>> Any objection?
>
> I'd suggest discussing the name and the scope of the component first,
> that would avoid bugging the infra team for renaming the repository
> later.

Name:
   http://markmail.org/message/nafb32ifgdriqdo4

Scope:

> Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [Filter] No code?

Bernd Porr
Ooops. Sorry. Didn't see that e-mail. I'm away to Greece at the moment
but I'll have a try re write access at the weekend. I agree that it
would be much quicker if I could commit to the sandbox straight away.

/Bernd

On 13/01/17 10:51, Eric Barnhill wrote:

> That was where we left it. I asked Bernd if he did not have write access to
> the sandbox. If there was a reply to that I didn't see it.
>
> This would be the key thing to sort out. Can Bernd write to the sandbox or
> is it committers only? If it is only committers, I am happily to push
> Bernd's contributions I just need to know what the procedure is going to
> be.
>
> Eric
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Bernd Porr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gilles,
>>
>> I *think* I suggested to add a couple of subdirs. One of them with my IIR
>> filter code and another one for the Kalman filter in it. However, I don't
>> have write access to it so I think Eric is planning of doing it.
>>
>> Best,
>> /Bernd
>>

>> On 13/01/17 01:33, Gilles wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> As of today (revision 1778484), the SVN repository
>>>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/filter/trunk
>>> is empty. :(
>>>
>>> What is the status/roadmap?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gilles

>> --
>> http://www.berndporr.me.uk
>> http://www.attys.tech
>> http://www.linux-usb-daq.co.uk
>> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3293421/
>> +44 (0)7840 340069

http://www.berndporr.me.uk
http://www.attys.tech
http://www.linux-usb-daq.co.uk
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3293421/
+44 (0)7840 340069

[SigProc] Immutability (Was: [Filter] No code?)

Gilles Sadowski
Hi Bernd.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 16:43:32 +0200, Bernd Porr wrote:
> Ooops. Sorry. Didn't see that e-mail.

And, re specifying the "Subject:" line, I had the time to forget that
we already agreed on changing the name of the prospective component.
;-)

> I'm away to Greece at the
> moment but I'll have a try re write access at the weekend. I agree
> that it would be much quicker if I could commit to the sandbox
> straight away.

I've just had a quick look at two randomly selected Java files from
your repository:

https://github.com/berndporr/iirj/blob/master/src/main/java/uk/me/berndporr/iirj/

Though I didn't delve into the details, there seems to be a general
remark for increasing the robustness with purely systematic changes:
that would be to make classes immutable, wherever possible.[1]

Are there some considerations (pertaining to the concepts implemented)
that would prevent such modifications?
If not, would you be willing to perform those changes?

[1] That would sometimes entail change to the design (e.g. using the
     "fluent API" paradigm rather than "setters").
     See e.g.:

https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=blob;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/fitting/SimpleCurveFitter.java;h=54f6cbfe1e003cec74f2b0e71efc1b13000a5525;hb=HEAD

> /Bernd
>
> On 13/01/17 10:51, Eric Barnhill wrote:
>> That was where we left it. I asked Bernd if he did not have write
>> access to
>> the sandbox. If there was a reply to that I didn't see it.
>>
>> This would be the key thing to sort out. Can Bernd write to the
>> sandbox or
>> is it committers only? If it is only committers, I am happily to
>> push
>> Bernd's contributions I just need to know what the procedure is
>> going to
>> be.
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Bernd Porr <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Gilles,
>>>
>>> I *think* I suggested to add a couple of subdirs. One of them with
>>> my IIR
>>> filter code and another one for the Kalman filter in it. However, I
>>> don't
>>> have write access to it so I think Eric is planning of doing it.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> /Bernd

Re: [ALL][SigProc] Repository for component candidate? (Was: No code?)

Eric Barnhill
I would also add that this was part of the expected development path of
math modules. The first thing was to see what actually got developed and
supported; this would then shed light on how best to organize it, rather
than lay out an organization for a "best case" set of math libraries that
might never appear.

Eric

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:28:24 +0100, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>
>> Le 13/01/2017 à 12:04, Gilles a écrit :
>>
>> I'd like to ask INFRA to create a git repository (following the path taken
>>> by "Commons Text").
>>>
>>> Any objection?
>>>

>> I'd suggest discussing the name and the scope of the component first,
>> that would avoid bugging the infra team for renaming the repository later.
>>

> Name:
>   http://markmail.org/message/nafb32ifgdriqdo4
>
> Scope:

>> Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [Filter] No code?

Bernd Porr
Hi all,

sorry for the long silence. I've been just too busy with my main
(paying) jobs which also involve two startups. I'd love to help that
realistically I just don't have the time just now. So I should be
upfront. I'd say from Aug things will have calmed down and happy to join
back in. I'm also teaching again DSP from Sept so that gives me
naturally time to work on it.

Best,

/Bernd

www:    http://www.berndporr.me.uk/
        http://www.linux-usb-daq.co.uk/
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3293421/
Mobile: +44 (0)7840 340069
Work:   +44 (0)141 330 5237
        University of Glasgow
        School of Engineering
        Rankine Building, Oakfield Avenue,
        Glasgow, G12 8LT

Re: [Filter] No code?

Gilles Sadowski
Hello.

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 22:31:13 +0100, Bernd Porr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> sorry for the long silence. I've been just too busy with my main
> (paying) jobs which also involve two startups. I'd love to help that
> realistically I just don't have the time just now. So I should be
> upfront. I'd say from Aug things will have calmed down and happy to
> join
> back in.

Thanks for letting us know.

> I'm also teaching again DSP from Sept so that gives me
> naturally time to work on it.

Great.

Best regards,
Gilles