Final tag for commons-io-2.6

Daniel Kreling
Hi

I am looking for the final tag for commons-io version 2.6 and I have
not been able to find it [0]. The last one I can see is the
commons-io-2.6-RC3, released in Oct 2017, which I assume to be the
final one.

Is there a "Final" tag for commons-io, or one which I can explicitly
tell it's the final one?
If not, is it possible for you to create one, please?

[0] https://github.com/apache/commons-io/releases

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: Final tag for commons-io-2.6

garydgregory
Looking...

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM Daniel Kreling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am looking for the final tag for commons-io version 2.6 and I have
> not been able to find it [0]. The last one I can see is the
> commons-io-2.6-RC3, released in Oct 2017, which I assume to be the
> final one.
>
> Is there a "Final" tag for commons-io, or one which I can explicitly
> tell it's the final one?
> If not, is it possible for you to create one, please?
>
> [0] https://github.com/apache/commons-io/releases
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Re: Final tag for commons-io-2.6

Roberto Oliveira
Hi Gary,

Thanks for looking at it. Is there any update?

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 2:10 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looking...
>
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM Daniel Kreling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am looking for the final tag for commons-io version 2.6 and I have
>> not been able to find it [0]. The last one I can see is the
>> commons-io-2.6-RC3, released in Oct 2017, which I assume to be the
>> final one.
>>
>> Is there a "Final" tag for commons-io, or one which I can explicitly
>> tell it's the final one?
>> If not, is it possible for you to create one, please?
>>
>> [0] https://github.com/apache/commons-io/releases
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel

Roberto Oliveira

Re: Final tag for commons-io-2.6

sebb-2-2
Might I ask why the tag is so important?

If you are looking to download the source, then that is available from
the usual download page:

https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/download_io.cgi

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 11:32, Roberto Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Thanks for looking at it. Is there any update?
>
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 2:10 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Looking...
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM Daniel Kreling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I am looking for the final tag for commons-io version 2.6 and I have
> >> not been able to find it [0]. The last one I can see is the
> >> commons-io-2.6-RC3, released in Oct 2017, which I assume to be the
> >> final one.
> >>
> >> Is there a "Final" tag for commons-io, or one which I can explicitly
> >> tell it's the final one?
> >> If not, is it possible for you to create one, please?
> >>
> >> [0] https://github.com/apache/commons-io/releases
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Daniel

> Roberto Oliveira

Re: Final tag for commons-io-2.6

Daniel Kreling
We need to build the package from source and we need to know precisely
where the development ended.

Thanks,
Daniel

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 07:41, Daniel Kreling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need to build the package from source

In which case you should be using the formal release package.

> and we need to know precisely
> where the development ended.

What do you mean by that?

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:31 PM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 07:41, Daniel Kreling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > We need to build the package from source
>
> In which case you should be using the formal release package.
>
> > and we need to know precisely
> > where the development ended.
>
> What do you mean by that?
He means that if he wants to build version 2.6 from source he doesn't
know from where he should build.
Can you or someone confirm the version 2.6 was built from tag
"commons-io-2.6-RC3" ?

> > Thanks,
> > Daniel
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 6:52 PM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Might I ask why the tag is so important?
> > >
> > > If you are looking to download the source, then that is available from
> > > the usual download page:
> > >
> > > https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/download_io.cgi

Roberto Oliveira

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 11:34, Roberto Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:31 PM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 07:41, Daniel Kreling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > We need to build the package from source
> >
> > In which case you should be using the formal release package.
> >
> > > and we need to know precisely
> > > where the development ended.
> >
> > What do you mean by that?
> He means that if he wants to build version 2.6 from source he doesn't
> know from where he should build.

He should build from the official source release.

These are linked from the download page, i.e.

https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/download_io.cgi

For automated builds you can use:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/?filename=commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip&action=download

You should check the sig or hash from:
https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip.asc
https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip.sha256

You can replace .zip with .tar.gz above

> Can you or someone confirm the version 2.6 was built from tag
> "commons-io-2.6-RC3" ?

Only the source packages linked from the download page are official releases.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:44 AM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 11:34, Roberto Oliveira <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:31 PM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > In which case you should be using the formal release package.

> > > What do you mean by that?
> > He means that if he wants to build version 2.6 from source he doesn't
> > know from where he should build.
>
> He should build from the official source release.
>
> These are linked from the download page, i.e.
>
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/download_io.cgi
>
> For automated builds you can use:
>

> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/?filename=commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip&action=download
>
> You should check the sig or hash from:
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip.asc
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip.sha256
>
> You can replace .zip with .tar.gz above
>
> > Can you or someone confirm the version 2.6 was built from tag
> > "commons-io-2.6-RC3" ?
>
> Only the source packages linked from the download page are official
> releases.

But that does not address the poster's question. If we are confident that
commons-io-2.6-RC3 is indeed 2.6, then we should create a tag called
rel/commons-io-2.6, right?

Gary

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 16:59, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:44 AM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > He means that if he wants to build version 2.6 from source he doesn't
>> > know from where he should build.
>>
>> He should build from the official source release.
>>
>> These are linked from the download page, i.e.
>>
>> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/download_io.cgi
>>
>> For automated builds you can use:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/?filename=commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip&action=download
>>
>> You should check the sig or hash from:
>> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip.asc
>> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip.sha256
>>
>> You can replace .zip with .tar.gz above
>>
>> > Can you or someone confirm the version 2.6 was built from tag
>> > "commons-io-2.6-RC3" ?
>>
>> Only the source packages linked from the download page are official releases.
>

> But that does not address the poster's question. If we are confident that commons-io-2.6-RC3 is indeed 2.6, then we should create a tag called  rel/commons-io-2.6, right?

The tag would not be an official source release.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:06 PM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 16:59, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:44 AM sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> He should build from the official source release.
> >>
> >> These are linked from the download page, i.e.
> >>
> >> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/download_io.cgi
> >>
> >> For automated builds you can use:
> >>

> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/?filename=commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip&action=download
> >>
> >> You should check the sig or hash from:
> >>
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip.asc
> >>
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/io/source/commons-io-2.6-src.zip.sha256
> >>
> >> You can replace .zip with .tar.gz above

> >> Only the source packages linked from the download page are official
> releases.
> >

> > But that does not address the poster's question. If we are confident
> that commons-io-2.6-RC3 is indeed 2.6, then we should create a tag called
> rel/commons-io-2.6, right?
>
> The tag would not be an official source release.

That's besides the point, the point is that the tag for the release is
missing, clearly. Either we know enough to create the tag or we do not.
Folks can do what they want with the tag like any other tag. Am I missing
something here?

> available from

> and I have
> to be the

> explicitly

> [hidden email]

Re: Final tag for commons-io-2.6

Matt Sicker
There's also the fact that release tags are supposed to go inside rel/
or wherever to make them immutable.

--
Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's also the fact that release tags are supposed to go inside rel/
> or wherever to make them immutable.

Exactly, which is what I said earlier "...then we should create a tag
called  rel/commons-io-2.6...".

;-)

Gary