Fixing the commons-io javadoc

Benson Margulies
I'd like to.

Problem 1:

On this page, the 2.4 link points to a generic 'api-release' directory
instead of to 2.4.

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/

I'd fix that, but when I use the CMS bookmarklet on this page, I'm not
shown the content of this page, I'm shown the top of the entire
commons tree.

Problem 2:

olamy left

 '1451336      olamy
<url>scm:svn:https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-i/</url>'

in the top level pom. I patched it to contain the missing 'o', but
that's not right. It should end with api-release, and then the release
process should include a manual step of renaming it, or it should have
${project.version} in it.

So now the 2.5 content is all checked in, up one level from where it belongs.

If someone can remind me about how to edit the links on the page, I'll
sweep the 2.5 content into the api-2.5 directory and then patch up the
links.

Re: Fixing the commons-io javadoc

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hello Benson,

Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 6. Mai 2016 um
14:29 Uhr:

> I'd like to.
>
> Problem 1:
>
> On this page, the 2.4 link points to a generic 'api-release' directory
> instead of to 2.4.
>
> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/
>
> I'd fix that, but when I use the CMS bookmarklet on this page, I'm not
> shown the content of this page, I'm shown the top of the entire
> commons tree.
>
> Problem 2:
>
> olamy left
>
>  '1451336      olamy
> <url>scm:svn:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-i/
> </url>'
>
> in the top level pom. I patched it to contain the missing 'o', but
> that's not right. It should end with api-release, and then the release
> process should include a manual step of renaming it, or it should have
> ${project.version} in it.
>
> So now the 2.5 content is all checked in, up one level from where it
> belongs.
>
> If someone can remind me about how to edit the links on the page, I'll
> sweep the 2.5 content into the api-2.5 directory and then patch up the
> links.

You can modify the side sources below src/site and dann publish the site
via mvn site-deploy.

If you can't fix the problems this way, you can checkout the site directory
from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-io
and edit it directly. This can be necessary for the parts of the website
that are not generated by the site build (for example JavaDoc archives from
old releases).

HTH,

Re: Fixing the commons-io javadoc

Benedikt Ritter-4
Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 6. Mai 2016 um
15:20 Uhr:

> Hello Benson,
>
> Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 6. Mai 2016 um
> 14:29 Uhr:
>
>> I'd like to.
>>
>> Problem 1:
>>
>> On this page, the 2.4 link points to a generic 'api-release' directory
>> instead of to 2.4.
>>
>> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/
>>
>> I'd fix that, but when I use the CMS bookmarklet on this page, I'm not
>> shown the content of this page, I'm shown the top of the entire
>> commons tree.
>>
>> Problem 2:
>>
>> olamy left
>>
>>  '1451336      olamy
>> <url>scm:svn:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-i/
>> </url>'
>>
>> in the top level pom. I patched it to contain the missing 'o', but
>> that's not right. It should end with api-release, and then the release
>> process should include a manual step of renaming it, or it should have
>> ${project.version} in it.
>>
>> So now the 2.5 content is all checked in, up one level from where it
>> belongs.
>>
>> If someone can remind me about how to edit the links on the page, I'll
>> sweep the 2.5 content into the api-2.5 directory and then patch up the
>> links.
>>

> You can modify the side sources below src/site and dann publish the site
> via mvn site-deploy.

omg, that sentence was a complete fail :-) Second try:

You can modify the site sources below src/site and then publish the site
via mvn site-deploy.

> If you can't fix the problems this way, you can checkout the site
> directory from
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-io
> and edit it directly. This can be necessary for the parts of the website
> that are not generated by the site build (for example JavaDoc archives from
> old releases).
>
> HTH,
> Benedikt

Re: Fixing the commons-io javadoc

sebb-2-2
CMS does not apply to the component websites.

It only applies to the parent site.

On 6 May 2016 at 14:21, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 6. Mai 2016 um
> 15:20 Uhr:
>
>> Hello Benson,
>>
>> Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 6. Mai 2016 um
>> 14:29 Uhr:
>>
>>> I'd like to.
>>>
>>> Problem 1:
>>>
>>> On this page, the 2.4 link points to a generic 'api-release' directory
>>> instead of to 2.4.
>>>
>>> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/
>>>
>>> I'd fix that, but when I use the CMS bookmarklet on this page, I'm not
>>> shown the content of this page, I'm shown the top of the entire
>>> commons tree.
>>>
>>> Problem 2:
>>>
>>> olamy left
>>>
>>>  '1451336      olamy
>>> <url>scm:svn:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-i/
>>> </url>'
>>>
>>> in the top level pom. I patched it to contain the missing 'o', but
>>> that's not right. It should end with api-release, and then the release
>>> process should include a manual step of renaming it, or it should have
>>> ${project.version} in it.
>>>
>>> So now the 2.5 content is all checked in, up one level from where it
>>> belongs.
>>>
>>> If someone can remind me about how to edit the links on the page, I'll
>>> sweep the 2.5 content into the api-2.5 directory and then patch up the
>>> links.
>>>

>> You can modify the side sources below src/site and dann publish the site
>> via mvn site-deploy.
>>

> omg, that sentence was a complete fail :-) Second try:
>
> You can modify the site sources below src/site and then publish the site
> via mvn site-deploy.
>

>> If you can't fix the problems this way, you can checkout the site
>> directory from
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-io
>> and edit it directly. This can be necessary for the parts of the website
>> that are not generated by the site build (for example JavaDoc archives from
>> old releases).
>>
>> HTH,
>> Benedikt

Re: Fixing the commons-io javadoc

Benson Margulies
I think I've fixed it.

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 9:35 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> CMS does not apply to the component websites.
>
> It only applies to the parent site.
>
> On 6 May 2016 at 14:21, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 6. Mai 2016 um
>> 15:20 Uhr:
>>
>>> Hello Benson,
>>>
>>> Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 6. Mai 2016 um
>>> 14:29 Uhr:

>>> You can modify the side sources below src/site and dann publish the site
>>> via mvn site-deploy.
>>>

>> omg, that sentence was a complete fail :-) Second try:
>>
>> You can modify the site sources below src/site and then publish the site
>> via mvn site-deploy.
>>

>>> If you can't fix the problems this way, you can checkout the site
>>> directory from
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-io
>>> and edit it directly. This can be necessary for the parts of the website
>>> that are not generated by the site build (for example JavaDoc archives from
>>> old releases).
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Benedikt

Re: Fixing the commons-io javadoc

sebb-2-2
The way that Javadocs are done on many components is:

apidocs/ contains the latest Javadoc. That may be the last release or
it may be trunk.

javadocs/api-vvv/ contains the Javadoc for specific versions.

These dirs are linked from the menu as appropriate.

The javadocs/api-xxx folder is created by copying the apidocs folder
from the RC build.

This means there may be two copies of the latest release Javadoc.

LANG has a Javadocs (latest release) link which points to

javadocs/api-release/

The point is that the apidocs/ directory will vary; it contains
whatever release was used to publish the website last (might have been
trunk).

The javadocs/ structure is for specific releases.

sebb <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 8. Mai 2016 um 13:28 Uhr:

> The way that Javadocs are done on many components is:
>
> apidocs/ contains the latest Javadoc. That may be the last release or
> it may be trunk.
>
> javadocs/api-vvv/ contains the Javadoc for specific versions.
>
> These dirs are linked from the menu as appropriate.
>
> The javadocs/api-xxx folder is created by copying the apidocs folder
> from the RC build.
>
> This means there may be two copies of the latest release Javadoc.
>
> LANG has a Javadocs (latest release) link which points to
>
> javadocs/api-release/
>
> The point is that the apidocs/ directory will vary; it contains
> whatever release was used to publish the website last (might have been
> trunk).
>
> The javadocs/ structure is for specific releases.

Sounds like a good addition to our release guide.