Fwd: [VOTE] Graduation for Sanselan

papajdo
FYI.

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Craig L Russell <[hidden email]>
> Date: June 21, 2009 7:11:48 PM PDT
> To: Incubator <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [VOTE] Graduation for Sanselan
>
> Hi,
>
> Sanselan has been in incubation since September 2007. Sanselan is a
> pure-java image library for reading and writing a variety of image
> formats.
>
> Monthly and then quarterly reports can be found at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sanselan/board/
> The first official Apache Sanselan incubating release occurred on
> July 30th, 2008.
> A few months back we took a final look at Sanselan's status with
> regard to exiting the incubator. We concluded that while the code
> and the committer for Sanselan were ready to exit the incubator,
> community was an issue. We didn't see the prospect for getting
> enough of a community to graduate Sanselan as a TLP. But Apache
> Commons was eager to adopt Sanselan, and they voted to do so.
> Sanselan is now ready to graduate the incubator and assume its role
> as a subproject of Apache Commons.
> Please review the checklist at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html
>  and verify that Sanselan is ready.
>
> +1 graduate Sanselan into Apache Commons
> +-0 don't care
> -1 don't graduate because...
>
> Voting will remain open until Thursday June 25.
>
> Craig L Russell
> Incubator PMC, DB PMC, OpenJPA PMC
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: [VOTE] Graduation for Sanselan

Emmanuel Bourg-3
That looks nice.

Regarding the community issue, maybe a more explicit name would help
dragging attention to the project? It's probably easier to understand
the intent of a "Commons Images" package than "Commons Senselan" (which
will comes second after "Three witches watch three Swatch watches" for
the pronunciation difficulty ;)

Emmanuel Bourg

Craig L Russell a écrit :

> FYI.
>
> Craig
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Craig L Russell <[hidden email]>
>> Date: June 21, 2009 7:11:48 PM PDT
>> To: Incubator <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: [VOTE] Graduation for Sanselan
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sanselan has been in incubation since September 2007. Sanselan is a
>> pure-java image library for reading and writing a variety of image
>> formats.
>>
>> Monthly and then quarterly reports can be found at
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sanselan/board/
>> The first official Apache Sanselan incubating release occurred on July
>> 30th, 2008.
>> A few months back we took a final look at Sanselan's status with
>> regard to exiting the incubator. We concluded that while the code and
>> the committer for Sanselan were ready to exit the incubator, community
>> was an issue. We didn't see the prospect for getting enough of a
>> community to graduate Sanselan as a TLP. But Apache Commons was eager
>> to adopt Sanselan, and they voted to do so.
>> Sanselan is now ready to graduate the incubator and assume its role as
>> a subproject of Apache Commons.
>> Please review the checklist at
>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html and verify that
>> Sanselan is ready.
>>
>> +1 graduate Sanselan into Apache Commons
>> +-0 don't care
>> -1 don't graduate because...
>>
>> Voting will remain open until Thursday June 25.
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> Incubator PMC, DB PMC, OpenJPA PMC
>> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Fwd: [VOTE] Graduation for Sanselan

Jörg Schaible
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> That looks nice.
>
> Regarding the community issue, maybe a more explicit name would help
> dragging attention to the project? It's probably easier to understand
> the intent of a "Commons Images" package than "Commons Senselan" (which
> will comes second after "Three witches watch three Swatch watches" for
> the pronunciation difficulty ;)

We already discussed this in legnth and the consensus was to have both
Senselan and Imaging in the name while the package name is kept.

- Jörg

Jörg Schaible a écrit :

> We already discussed this in legnth and the consensus was to have both
> Senselan and Imaging in the name while the package name is kept.

Hum I missed this discussion. That's fine then.

Emmanuel Bourg

Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Jörg Schaible a écrit :
>
>> We already discussed this in legnth and the consensus was to have both
>> Senselan and Imaging in the name while the package name is kept.
>
> Hum I missed this discussion. That's fine then.

It would not have been my choice either, but we've been shown
that "senselan" is already a brand in this area - therefore this consensus.

- Jörg