[GSoC] commons-gsoc Thursday meeting?

Eric Barnhill
Should we have another Slack meeting at the same time this Thursday, 5pm
UTC (9am California time)?

The first focus of this meeting will be blockers and other questions the
mentees have, trying to get up to speed on command line git, maven and
POMs, and IDEs. Everyone should bring at least one thing to ask about. We
will otherwise assume the mentees are ready to go with these topics.

After that we'll move on to goals for the next week. I propose this goal is
a software flowchart of your commons component that you will be developing.
This can be in as much detail as you like, including method names, doc,
etc. The more you mock out, the easier your later work will be, and mine
too.

In particular, you have probably noticed that maven creates src/main and
src/test folders. Even if you have already done some flowcharting for your
component, see if you can start to flowchart the unit tests. As I said on
the Slack you may even find it interesting to sketch the tests first as it
will give your coding work a clear endpoint to focus on. Don't
underestimate how much time testing and doc will take you -- it can take
half of your time with new projects.

This is all flexible but we will need to see a detailed spec to sign off on
clearing the project out of community bonding.

So, I'll be available to answer questions on that next step as well.

Re: [GSoC] commons-gsoc Thursday meeting?

Rob Tompkins

On 5/14/2019 12:47 PM, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> Should we have another Slack meeting at the same time this Thursday, 5pm
> UTC (9am California time)?

+1

> The first focus of this meeting will be blockers and other questions the
> mentees have, trying to get up to speed on command line git, maven and
> POMs, and IDEs. Everyone should bring at least one thing to ask about. We
> will otherwise assume the mentees are ready to go with these topics.
>
> After that we'll move on to goals for the next week. I propose this goal is
> a software flowchart of your commons component that you will be developing.
> This can be in as much detail as you like, including method names, doc,
> etc. The more you mock out, the easier your later work will be, and mine
> too.
>
> In particular, you have probably noticed that maven creates src/main and
> src/test folders. Even if you have already done some flowcharting for your
> component, see if you can start to flowchart the unit tests. As I said on
> the Slack you may even find it interesting to sketch the tests first as it
> will give your coding work a clear endpoint to focus on. Don't
> underestimate how much time testing and doc will take you -- it can take
> half of your time with new projects.
>
> This is all flexible but we will need to see a detailed spec to sign off on
> clearing the project out of community bonding.
>
> So, I'll be available to answer questions on that next step as well.

Re: [GSoC] commons-gsoc Thursday meeting?

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi Eric.

I won't be able to attend (but I've already provided comments on the ML).

Best,
Gilles