[JCS] release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hello guys,

seems we are good regarding dependencies now

do we try a release this week? 2.0-alpha-1? Anything blocking?

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

Re: [JCS] release?

garydgregory
A quick glance shows a lot of old versions of dependencies. Since we are
now on Java 6, it seems like there would be no issue updating all of these.

Gary

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> seems we are good regarding dependencies now
>
> do we try a release this week? 2.0-alpha-1? Anything blocking?
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau
> http://www.tomitribe.com
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
> https://github.com/rmannibucau

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
while the build is not broken +1, who takes the lead on it? @Gary?

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> A quick glance shows a lot of old versions of dependencies. Since we are
> now on Java 6, it seems like there would be no issue updating all of these.
>
> Gary
>
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> seems we are good regarding dependencies now
>>
>> do we try a release this week? 2.0-alpha-1? Anything blocking?
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> @rmannibucau
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

When I run "mvn clean test" I get:

Tests in error:
  BasicRemoteCacheClientServerUnitTest.test1SinglePut:133 NoClassDefFound
org/ap...
  BasicRemoteCacheClientServerUnitTest.test2PutRemove:181 NoClassDefFound
org/ap...
  BasicRemoteCacheClientServerUnitTest.test3PutAndListen:238
NoClassDefFound org...
  BasicRemoteCacheClientServerUnitTest.test4PutaMultipleAndListen:288
NoClassDefFound
  CompositeCacheConfiguratorUnitTest.testParseSpoolChunkSize_Normal:83
NoClassDefFound

CompositeCacheConfiguratorUnitTest.testParseAuxiliary_CacheEventLogger_Normal:46
NoClassDefFound
  CompositeCacheDiskUsageUnitTest.initializationError ╗ NoClassDefFound
org/apac...
  CompositeCacheUnitTest.initializationError ╗ NoClassDefFound
org/apache/common...
  SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.initializationError ╗ NoClassDefFound
org/apache/c...
  CacheEventLoggerDebugLoggerUnitTest.testLogApplicationEvent_normal:81
NoClassDefFound
  CacheEventLoggerDebugLoggerUnitTest.testLogError_normal:107
NoClassDefFound or...
  CacheEventLoggerDebugLoggerUnitTest.testLogICacheEvent_normal:51
NoClassDefFound
  FIFOMemoryCacheUnitTest.testExpirationPolicy_oneExtra:53 NoClassDefFound
org/a...
  FIFOMemoryCacheUnitTest.testExpirationPolicy_doubleOver:93
NoClassDefFound org...

LHMLRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest$1.runTest:83->LHMLRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion:112
╗ NoClassDefFound
  LHMLRUMemoryCacheUnitTest.initializationError ╗ NoClassDefFound
org/apache/com...

LRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest$1.runTest:83->LRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion:111
╗ NoClassDefFound

?

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
even running them one by one?

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> When I run "mvn clean test" I get:
>
> Tests in error:
>   BasicRemoteCacheClientServerUnitTest.test1SinglePut:133 NoClassDefFound
> org/ap...
>   BasicRemoteCacheClientServerUnitTest.test2PutRemove:181 NoClassDefFound
> org/ap...
>   BasicRemoteCacheClientServerUnitTest.test3PutAndListen:238
> NoClassDefFound org...
>   BasicRemoteCacheClientServerUnitTest.test4PutaMultipleAndListen:288
> NoClassDefFound
>   CompositeCacheConfiguratorUnitTest.testParseSpoolChunkSize_Normal:83
> NoClassDefFound
>
> CompositeCacheConfiguratorUnitTest.testParseAuxiliary_CacheEventLogger_Normal:46
> NoClassDefFound
>   CompositeCacheDiskUsageUnitTest.initializationError ╗ NoClassDefFound
> org/apac...
>   CompositeCacheUnitTest.initializationError ╗ NoClassDefFound
> org/apache/common...
>   SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.initializationError ╗ NoClassDefFound
> org/apache/c...
>   CacheEventLoggerDebugLoggerUnitTest.testLogApplicationEvent_normal:81
> NoClassDefFound
>   CacheEventLoggerDebugLoggerUnitTest.testLogError_normal:107
> NoClassDefFound or...
>   CacheEventLoggerDebugLoggerUnitTest.testLogICacheEvent_normal:51
> NoClassDefFound
>   FIFOMemoryCacheUnitTest.testExpirationPolicy_oneExtra:53 NoClassDefFound
> org/a...
>   FIFOMemoryCacheUnitTest.testExpirationPolicy_doubleOver:93
> NoClassDefFound org...
>
> LHMLRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest$1.runTest:83->LHMLRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion:112
> ╗ NoClassDefFound
>   LHMLRUMemoryCacheUnitTest.initializationError ╗ NoClassDefFound
> org/apache/com...
>
> LRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest$1.runTest:83->LRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion:111
> ╗ NoClassDefFound

> ?
>
> Gary
>
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> seems we are good regarding dependencies now
>>
>> do we try a release this week? 2.0-alpha-1? Anything blocking?
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> @rmannibucau
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

RAT reports problems which must be addressed one way or another...

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
I can handle rat

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> RAT reports problems which must be addressed one way or another...
>
> Gary
>
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> seems we are good regarding dependencies now
>>
>> do we try a release this week? 2.0-alpha-1? Anything blocking?
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> @rmannibucau
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

I can, but only after you get the build to run successfully ;-)

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

It looks like the Maven coords have changed which means the package name
must change, probably to ...jcs2, which means the artifact ID could
probably stand to be post-fixed with a 2 as well.

Did the Maven coords change because version 2 breaks binary compatibility
with 1.3?

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

All sorts of tests fail from Eclipse:

commons-jcs-core
TestSuite with 5 tests [example:
testIndexedDiskCache1(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$1)]
testIndexedDiskCache1(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$1)
junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: Wrong value for key [0:key]
expected:<indexedRegion4 data 0> but was:<null>

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:100)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertEquals(TestCase.java:261)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:181)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$1.runTest(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:76)

    at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:122)

    at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:142)

    at junit.extensions.ActiveTestSuite$1.run(ActiveTestSuite.java:47)

testIndexedDiskCache2(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$2)
junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: Wrong value for key [1000:key]
expected:<indexedRegion4 data 1000> but was:<null>

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:100)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertEquals(TestCase.java:261)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:181)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$2.runTest(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:86)

    at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:122)

    at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:142)

    at junit.extensions.ActiveTestSuite$1.run(ActiveTestSuite.java:47)

testIndexedDiskCache3(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$3)
junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: Wrong value for key [2000:key]
expected:<indexedRegion4 data 2000> but was:<null>

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:100)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertEquals(TestCase.java:261)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:181)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$3.runTest(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:96)

    at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:122)

    at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:142)

    at junit.extensions.ActiveTestSuite$1.run(ActiveTestSuite.java:47)

testIndexedDiskCache4(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$4)
junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: Wrong value for key [2200:key]
expected:<indexedRegion4 data 2200> but was:<null>

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:100)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertEquals(TestCase.java:261)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:181)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$4.runTest(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:106)

    at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:122)

    at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:142)

    at junit.extensions.ActiveTestSuite$1.run(ActiveTestSuite.java:47)

testIndexedDiskCache5(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$5)
junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: Wrong value for key [0:key]
expected:<indexedRegion4 data 0> but was:<null>

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:100)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertEquals(TestCase.java:261)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:181)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest$5.runTest(IndexedDiskCacheSameRegionConcurrentUnitTest.java:116)

    at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:122)

    at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:142)

    at junit.extensions.ActiveTestSuite$1.run(ActiveTestSuite.java:47)

org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest
testExceededMaxlifeOnrequestEvent(org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest)
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Item should be null for key 100:key,
but is data100

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:22)

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertNull(Assert.java:277)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertNull(TestCase.java:447)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.testExceededMaxlifeOnrequestEvent(SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.java:201)

    at

    at

    at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:122)

    at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:142)

    at
org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit38ClassRunner.run(JUnit38ClassRunner.java:84)

    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:50)

    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)

    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:459)

    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:675)

    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:382)

    at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:192)

testSpoolNoDiskEvent(org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest)
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: The number of
ELEMENT_EVENT_SPOOLED_DISK_NOT_AVAILABLE events  [19902] does not equal the
number expected.

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:22)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertTrue(TestCase.java:192)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.testSpoolNoDiskEvent(SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.java:107)

    at

    at

[...]

testSpoolEvent(org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest)
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: The number of
ELEMENT_EVENT_SPOOLED_DISK_AVAILABLE events [0] does not equal the number
expected [20000]

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:22)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertTrue(TestCase.java:192)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.testSpoolEvent(SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.java:76)

    at

    at

[...]

testExceededIdletimeOnrequestEvent(org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest)
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Item should not be null for key 0:key

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:22)

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertNotNull(Assert.java:256)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertNotNull(TestCase.java:426)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.testExceededIdletimeOnrequestEvent(SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.java:237)

    at

    at

[...]

testSpoolNotAllowedEventOnItem(org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest)
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: The number of
ELEMENT_EVENT_SPOOLED_NOT_ALLOWED events [0] does not equal the number
expected.

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:22)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertTrue(TestCase.java:192)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.testSpoolNotAllowedEventOnItem(SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.java:169)

    at

    at

[...]

testSpoolNotAllowedEvent(org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest)
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: The number of
ELEMENT_EVENT_SPOOLED_NOT_ALLOWED events [0] does not equal the number
expected.

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:22)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertTrue(TestCase.java:192)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.event.SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.testSpoolNotAllowedEvent(SimpleEventHandlingUnitTest.java:137)

    at

    at

[...]

org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest
testSimpleJDBCPutGetWithHSQL(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest)
junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: key = [0:key] value = [null]
expected:<testCache1 data 0> but was:<null>

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:100)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertEquals(TestCase.java:261)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest.runTestForRegion(JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest.java:111)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest.testSimpleJDBCPutGetWithHSQL(JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest.java:74)

    at

    at

[...]

org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest
testSimpleJDBCPutGetWithHSQL(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest)
junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: key = [0:key] value = [null]
expected:<testCache1 data 0> but was:<null>

    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:100)

    at junit.framework.TestCase.assertEquals(TestCase.java:261)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest.runTestForRegion(JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest.java:110)

    at
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest.testSimpleJDBCPutGetWithHSQL(JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest.java:73)

    at

    at

[...]

org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheRandomConcurrentTestUtil
warning(junit.framework.TestSuite$1)
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: No tests found in
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.block.BlockDiskCacheRandomConcurrentTestUtil

    at junit.framework.TestCase.fail(TestCase.java:227)

    at junit.framework.TestSuite$1.runTest(TestSuite.java:100)

[...]

But it seems hung ATM on
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.block.BlockDiskCacheSteadyLoadTest.testRunSteadyLoadTest()

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Well coord changed for multiple reasons IIRC:

1) be aligned with commons projects
2) we upgraded to 2 (for binary + jcache reasons) so it seemd the
moment to accept such a change
3) we upgraded to java 6 IIRC
4) project structure changed

That said if you replace old jcs coord by commons-jcs-core module ones
compatibility should be ok while you run/compile on java 6 so I don't
think we should change the packages.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> It looks like the Maven coords have changed which means the package name
> must change, probably to ...jcs2, which means the artifact ID could
> probably stand to be post-fixed with a 2 as well.
>
> Did the Maven coords change because version 2 breaks binary compatibility
> with 1.3?
>
> Gary
>
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> seems we are good regarding dependencies now
>>
>> do we try a release this week? 2.0-alpha-1? Anything blocking?
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> @rmannibucau
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
surefire is configured to fork for each test. If you change it then it
fails with maven as well.

That's surely the cause

> [...]

>> > org/a...
>> >   FIFOMemoryCacheUnitTest.testExpirationPolicy_doubleOver:93
>> > NoClassDefFound org...
>> >

>> LHMLRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest$1.runTest:83->LHMLRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion:112
>> > ╗ NoClassDefFound
>> >   LHMLRUMemoryCacheUnitTest.initializationError ╗ NoClassDefFound
>> > org/apache/com...
>> >

>> LRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest$1.runTest:83->LRUMemoryCacheConcurrentUnitTest.runTestForRegion:111
>> > ╗ NoClassDefFound
>> >
>> > Tests run: 303, Failures: 0, Errors: 17, Skipped: 0
>> >
>> > ?
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >
>> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition

The package name and Maven coords must be kept in sync to avoid jar hell.

You cannot change one without changing the other.

If 2.0 is to be compatible with 1.3, then the same Maven coords must be
kept.

If 2.0 is not binary compatible, then you must change the package and and
Maven coords.

That's how all Commons project do it AFAIK.

I am sure Sebb can elaborate if needed.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Not a blocker, but unsurprisingly Java 8 cannot be used to build due to the
well-known new Javadoc doclint feature causing many Javadoc errors.

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
> The package name and Maven coords must be kept in sync to avoid jar hell.
>
> You cannot change one without changing the other.
>
> If 2.0 is to be compatible with 1.3, then the same Maven coords must be
> kept.

Well that's where it is ambiguous. It is without being. If you have a
dep built with 1.3 then it can be broken but if your project was
integrating with 1.3 then rebuilding it with 2.0 should work (that
said we changed - relaxed few signature and really changed few ones
but shouldn't be that impacting in practice). So to summarize keeping
same packages is mainly to avoid a lot of work for users.

> If 2.0 is not binary compatible, then you must change the package and and
> Maven coords.
>
> That's how all Commons project do it AFAIK.
>
> I am sure Sebb can elaborate if needed.
>
> Gary
>

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Well coord changed for multiple reasons IIRC:
>>
>> 1) be aligned with commons projects
>> 2) we upgraded to 2 (for binary + jcache reasons) so it seemd the
>> moment to accept such a change
>> 3) we upgraded to java 6 IIRC
>> 4) project structure changed
>>
>> That said if you replace old jcs coord by commons-jcs-core module ones
>> compatibility should be ok while you run/compile on java 6 so I don't
>> think we should change the packages.
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> @rmannibucau
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau

>> > It looks like the Maven coords have changed which means the package name
>> > must change, probably to ...jcs2, which means the artifact ID could
>> > probably stand to be post-fixed with a 2 as well.
>> >
>> > Did the Maven coords change because version 2 breaks binary compatibility
>> > with 1.3?
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >
>> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
>> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> > JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
>> > Spring Batch in Action <http://www.manning.com/templier/>
>> > Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> > Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> > Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

garydgregory
On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>

> > The package name and Maven coords must be kept in sync to avoid jar hell.
> >
> > You cannot change one without changing the other.
> >
> > If 2.0 is to be compatible with 1.3, then the same Maven coords must be
> > kept.
>
> Well that's where it is ambiguous. It is without being. If you have a
> dep built with 1.3 then it can be broken but if your project was
> integrating with 1.3 then rebuilding it with 2.0 should work (that
> said we changed - relaxed few signature and really changed few ones
> but shouldn't be that impacting in practice). So to summarize keeping
> same packages is mainly to avoid a lot of work for users.

It sounds like both binary and source compat are broken if I read the above
correctly.

What happens if I have an app and I replace my JCS 1.3 jar with 2.0?

Will I get runtime errors? Method not found, class not found, things like
that?

Will I get runtime errors if only use the "public" JCS API?

Will I get runtime errors if only use any JCS API?

We need a Clirr report...

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Wow, that must have been a random problem... all tests pass from Maven
now...

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Now that Log4j 2 (2.0.2) is out and can be considered to deprecate Commons
Logging since it provides a nice API module, should we switch to it?

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
about api: public api shouldn't be broken (well the one which is
broken shouldn't be used in code but only in config/properties files).

about logging: we stated we'll not switch now but that we'll tackle it
for 2.0.0. If we want log4j2 as default I'll fight to get a facade
since jcs is already integrated in tomee (with the snapshot) and tomee
will not bring log4j2 by default (to let apps do what they want as
much as possible without any side effects on config or classloading).
As you guess it will be a "nice" thread so surely not the moment to
start it again ;).

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> Now that Log4j 2 (2.0.2) is out and can be considered to deprecate Commons
> Logging since it provides a nice API module, should we switch to it?
>
> Gary
>
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> seems we are good regarding dependencies now
>>
>> do we try a release this week? 2.0-alpha-1? Anything blocking?
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> @rmannibucau
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [JCS] release?

garydgregory
[Sebb: I added you to this discussion as I am not sure how to get JCS 2.0
to have the same Maven coors as 1.3 since it is now a multi-module project].

So it sounds like we should change the Maven coords to what they were for
1.3.

But 1.3 was one jar and one POM (
http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|org.apache.jcs|jcs|1.3|pom)

What does that mean in 2.0 since we have 4 main modules? They cannot all be
called org.apache.jcs|jcs.

Is calling the JCS parent POM org.apache.jcs|jcs enough to do the trick?

Gary

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> about api: public api shouldn't be broken (well the one which is
> broken shouldn't be used in code but only in config/properties files).
>
> about logging: we stated we'll not switch now but that we'll tackle it
> for 2.0.0. If we want log4j2 as default I'll fight to get a facade
> since jcs is already integrated in tomee (with the snapshot) and tomee
> will not bring log4j2 by default (to let apps do what they want as
> much as possible without any side effects on config or classloading).
> As you guess it will be a "nice" thread so surely not the moment to
> start it again ;).
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau
> http://www.tomitribe.com
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
> https://github.com/rmannibucau

> > Now that Log4j 2 (2.0.2) is out and can be considered to deprecate
> Commons
> > Logging since it provides a nice API module, should we switch to it?
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello guys,
> >>
> >> seems we are good regarding dependencies now
> >>
> >> do we try a release this week? 2.0-alpha-1? Anything blocking?
> >>

> >> Romain Manni-Bucau
> >> @rmannibucau
> >> http://www.tomitribe.com
> >> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com