[JXPath1.2] jar with jdk1.3?

Naveen-3
Hello all,

first of all let me say that JXPath is a really cool
piece of software -
that's why we decided to use it ;)

I had a quick question . I recently downloded
jxpath1.2 jar and found that it was built with jdk1.4.

can i use this jar with jdk1.3 and wl6.1 environment?

I was using the previous jxpath1.1 jar built on jdk1.3
till now.

RE: [JXPath1.2] jar with jdk1.3?

Alfredo Ledezma Melendez

Hello:

AFAIK is not possible. Generally you can't use a jar, war or ear built on a
newer version with an old one.

Alfredo Ledezma Mel?ndez.
Gerencia de Sistemas CRM
Consultor Externo de Sistemas de Atenci?n a Clientes
RadioMovil DIPSA, S. A. de C. V.
Ej?rcito Nacional No. 488, Col. Anahuac, C.P. 11570
M?xico D.F.

first of all let me say that JXPath is a really cool
piece of software -
that's why we decided to use it ;)

I had a quick question . I recently downloded
jxpath1.2 jar and found that it was built with jdk1.4.

can i use this jar with jdk1.3 and wl6.1 environment?

I was using the previous jxpath1.1 jar built on jdk1.3
till now.

Este mensaje es exclusivamente para el uso de la persona o entidad a quien esta dirigido; contiene informacion estrictamente confidencial y legalmente protegida, cuya divulgacion es sancionada por la ley. Si el lector de este mensaje no es a quien esta dirigido, ni se trata del empleado o agente responsable de esta informacion, se le notifica por medio del presente, que su reproduccion y distribucion, esta estrictamente prohibida. Si Usted recibio este comunicado por error, favor de notificarlo inmediatamente al remitente y destruir el mensaje. Todas las opiniones contenidas en este mail son propias del autor del mensaje y no necesariamente coinciden con las de Radiomovil Dipsa, S.A. de C.V. o alguna de sus empresas controladas, controladoras, afiliadas y subsidiarias. Este mensaje intencionalmente no contiene acentos.

This message is for the sole use of the person or entity to whom it is being sent.  Therefore, it contains strictly confidential and legally protected material whose disclosure is subject to penalty by law.  If the person reading this message is not the one to whom it is being sent and/or is not an employee or the responsible agent for this information, this person is herein notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of the materials included in this facsimile is strictly prohibited.  If you received this document by mistake please notify  immediately to the subscriber and destroy the message. Any opinions contained in this e-mail are those of the author of the message and do not necessarily coincide with those of Radiomovil Dipsa, S.A. de C.V. or any of its control, controlled, affiliates and subsidiaries companies. No part of this message or attachments may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever.

RE: [JXPath1.2] jar with jdk1.3?

Simon Kitching
On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 18:25 -0500, Alfredo Ledezma Melendez wrote:

> Hello:
>
> AFAIK is not possible. Generally you can't use a jar, war or ear built on a
> newer version with an old one.

This is not necessarily the case. The java 1.4 compiler will generate
class files that are compatible with 1.2 JVMs by default. And any java
compiler can generate classfiles compatible with any earlier JVM version
by specifying the -target option.

The question is whether the JXPath source code uses features that are
only present in java 1.4 or not. It would certainly be nice for the
project docs to say explicitly whether this is the case or not.

However you can test this yourself - download the jxpath source
distribution and compile it ("maven jar"). If it compiles then it is
compatible with java 1.3, and you can then use either your custom-built
version or go back to using the official binary jar even though it is
build with java 1.4.

NB: There are a few corner cases where code is compilable under both 1.3
and 1.4 but code compiled with 1.4 won't run under 1.3. However they are
pretty unlikely to be struck in real life. If you want to be extra
careful, you can check this by running the unit tests *compiled with
java 1.3* against the binary jar from the official binary download. If
the tests pass then that is good proof that the binary jar is compatible
with java 1.3.

Regards,

Simon

RE: [JXPath1.2] jar with jdk1.3?

Naveen-3

Thanks a lot to everyone the jar indeed is
compatabile. Specal thnks to Dmitri for his reply.