Java8 utilities

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
I thought about creating a PR for supplying helper methods for Java8
lambdas.

My intented target was commons-lang, but this is Java6.

Where could I propose the helpers?`

Jan

Re: Java8 utilities

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
I wonder if perhaps [functor] could become a place only for Java8+ FP utilities.

It was created before Java8, but it's still not complete. There was some work to have a parent project, and the idea was to have a pre-Java8 implementation, and another Java8+. But since we lost momentum, I think we could focus only in adding interesting FP utilities, not provided in the language itself.

Thoughts?

Bruno

>________________________________

Re: Java8 utilities

Benedikt Ritter-4
Bruno P. Kinoshita <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 21.
Sep. 2016 um 15:27 Uhr:

> I wonder if perhaps [functor] could become a place only for Java8+ FP
> utilities.
>
> It was created before Java8, but it's still not complete. There was some
> work to have a parent project, and the idea was to have a pre-Java8
> implementation, and another Java8+. But since we lost momentum, I think we
> could focus only in adding interesting FP utilities, not provided in the
> language itself.
>
> Thoughts?

+1

> Bruno
>

> >________________________________

Re: Java8 utilities

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 21/09/2016 à 15:24, Bruno P. Kinoshita a écrit :

> Thoughts?

We could also have Lamda utility classes in [lang], the classes would
target Java 8 while the other classes would remain at the Java 6 level
(this implies compiling the classes separately and recombining them in
the final jar).

Emmanuel Bourg

AW: Java8 utilities

Jan Matèrne (jhm)

> We could also have Lamda utility classes in [lang], the classes would
> target Java 8 while the other classes would remain at the Java 6 level
> (this implies compiling the classes separately and recombining them in
> the final jar).

From a users point of view I would search in commons-lang for language "extensions".
But this kind of building would be ... complex.

Jan

Re: AW: Java8 utilities

Jörg Schaible-5
Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:

>> We could also have Lamda utility classes in [lang], the classes would
>> target Java 8 while the other classes would remain at the Java 6 level
>> (this implies compiling the classes separately and recombining them in
>> the final jar).
>
> From a users point of view I would search in commons-lang for language
> "extensions". But this kind of building would be ... complex.

No, it's a quite simple configuration with Maven. However, you have to be
prepared for users running into problems using the resulting jar file:

1/ in Android, because the Dalvik compiler is not able to convert the
classes targeting Java 8

2/ in Web/App Servers running with Java 7 or below that scan the libraries
in the classpath for annotations

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: AW: Java8 utilities

Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 21. Sep.
2016 um 16:55 Uhr:

> Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:
>

> >> We could also have Lamda utility classes in [lang], the classes would
> >> target Java 8 while the other classes would remain at the Java 6 level
> >> (this implies compiling the classes separately and recombining them in
> >> the final jar).
> >
> > From a users point of view I would search in commons-lang for language
> > "extensions". But this kind of building would be ... complex.
>
> No, it's a quite simple configuration with Maven. However, you have to be
> prepared for users running into problems using the resulting jar file:
>
> 1/ in Android, because the Dalvik compiler is not able to convert the
> classes targeting Java 8
>
> 2/ in Web/App Servers running with Java 7 or below that scan the libraries
> in the classpath for annotations

I still think we should use Commons Functor for this kind of functionality.
Commons Lang originally only hosted extensions to the java.lang package.
Over time more and more stuff creeped in (reflect, concurrent, text). We
responded to that by creating Commons Text and Commons Functor. I think
small focused components are the right direction instead of putting even
more stuff into Commons Lang. I hope to have some time to work on Text and
Functor after I'm done with the Commons Lang 3.5 release... :)

> Jörg

Re: AW: Java8 utilities

Gilles Sadowski
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:04:12 +0000, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 21.
> Sep.
> 2016 um 16:55 Uhr:

>> would
>> level
>> them in
>> >
>> > From a users point of view I would search in commons-lang for
>> language
>> > "extensions". But this kind of building would be ... complex.
>>
>> No, it's a quite simple configuration with Maven. However, you have
>> to be
>> prepared for users running into problems using the resulting jar
>> file:
>>
>> 1/ in Android, because the Dalvik compiler is not able to convert
>> the
>> classes targeting Java 8
>>
>> 2/ in Web/App Servers running with Java 7 or below that scan the
>> libraries
>> in the classpath for annotations
>>

> I still think we should use Commons Functor for this kind of
> functionality.
> Commons Lang originally only hosted extensions to the java.lang
> package.
> Over time more and more stuff creeped in (reflect, concurrent, text).
> We
> responded to that by creating Commons Text and Commons Functor. I
> think
> small focused components are the right direction

Yes!

> instead of putting even
> more stuff into Commons Lang. I hope to have some time to work on
> Text and
> Functor after I'm done with the Commons Lang 3.5 release... :)

Don't you want to deprecate a few things, that came from extending
"java.util" (just as an example)?  ;-)

> Benedikt
>

>> Cheers,
>> Jörg

Re: Java8 utilities

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 21/09/2016 à 15:17, Jan Matèrne (jhm) a écrit :
> I thought about creating a PR for supplying helper methods for Java8
> lambdas.

Out of curiosity, what kind of methods do you have in mind?

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: AW: Java8 utilities

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 21. Sep.
> 2016 um 16:55 Uhr:

> > > From a users point of view I would search in commons-lang for language
> > > "extensions". But this kind of building would be ... complex.
> >
> > No, it's a quite simple configuration with Maven. However, you have to be
> > prepared for users running into problems using the resulting jar file:
> >
> > 1/ in Android, because the Dalvik compiler is not able to convert the
> > classes targeting Java 8
> >
> > 2/ in Web/App Servers running with Java 7 or below that scan the
> libraries
> > in the classpath for annotations
> >

> I still think we should use Commons Functor for this kind of functionality.
> Commons Lang originally only hosted extensions to the java.lang package.
> Over time more and more stuff creeped in (reflect, concurrent, text). We
> responded to that by creating Commons Text and Commons Functor. I think
> small focused components are the right direction instead of putting even
> more stuff into Commons Lang. I hope to have some time to work on Text and
> Functor after I'm done with the Commons Lang 3.5 release... :)

Once [lang] 3.5 is out, I think we should update [lang] to Java 7. We could
talk about going directly to Java 8.

Lambdas are a core Java feature, it feel to me like it belongs in [lang].
[functor] feels like something that should only be for pre-Java 8.

> Benedikt
>

> > Cheers,
> > Jörg

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: AW: Java8 utilities

Stian Soiland-Reyes
+1 to be brave and make Lang 3.6 be Java 8, so Lambda helpers can join
here. I have a couple of Stream helpers that could also fit in there.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: AW: Java8 utilities

garydgregory
I'd like to propose an orderly migration assume BC is preserved:

- Release 3.5 RC as scheduled this weekend
- Release 3.6 with Java 7 changes
- Release 3.7 with Java 8 changes

This will give us an opportunity to do some Java 7 work and put that out
without leaving Java 7-only folks out of the picture.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: AW: Java8 utilities

Stian Soiland-Reyes
+1 - could we even mention this in the release notes for 3.5 and 3.6?

Something like:

> Commons Lang 3.5.x is planned to be the last minor version series that
> support Java 6; future versions will target Java 7 and Java 8.

> Commons Lang 3.6.x is planned to be the last minor version series that
> support Java 7; future versions will target Java 8.

Then downstream users have a chance to complain to us if they don't
like it :-)  (and hopefully put in the effort required)

On 21 September 2016 at 19:20, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to propose an orderly migration assume BC is preserved:
>
> - Release 3.5 RC as scheduled this weekend
> - Release 3.6 with Java 7 changes
> - Release 3.7 with Java 8 changes
>
> This will give us an opportunity to do some Java 7 work and put that out
> without leaving Java 7-only folks out of the picture.
>
> Gary
>

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 to be brave and make Lang 3.6 be Java 8, so Lambda helpers can join
>> here. I have a couple of Stream helpers that could also fit in there.
>>

>> On 21 September 2016 at 18:19, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> would
>> level
>> them in

>> language

>> to be

>> functionality.
>> and
>> >>

>> > Once [lang] 3.5 is out, I think we should update [lang] to Java 7. We
>> could
>> > talk about going directly to Java 8.
>> >
>> > Lambdas are a core Java feature, it feel to me like it belongs in [lang].
>> > [functor] feels like something that should only be for pre-Java 8.
>> >
>> > Gary

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
>> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> > JUnit in Action, Second Edition <http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/>
>> > Spring Batch in Action <http://www.manning.com/templier/>
>> > Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> > Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> > Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory
>>

>> --
>> Stian Soiland-Reyes
>> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: AW: Java8 utilities

garydgregory
I do not think we should talk about future plans in the release notes for
3.5.

Gary

On Sep 21, 2016 2:58 PM, "Stian Soiland-Reyes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 - could we even mention this in the release notes for 3.5 and 3.6?
>
> Something like:
>
> > Commons Lang 3.5.x is planned to be the last minor version series that
> > support Java 6; future versions will target Java 7 and Java 8.
>

> > Commons Lang 3.6.x is planned to be the last minor version series that
> > support Java 7; future versions will target Java 8.
>
> Then downstream users have a chance to complain to us if they don't
> like it :-)  (and hopefully put in the effort required)
>
> On 21 September 2016 at 19:20, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I'd like to propose an orderly migration assume BC is preserved:
> >
> > - Release 3.5 RC as scheduled this weekend
> > - Release 3.6 with Java 7 changes
> > - Release 3.7 with Java 8 changes
> >
> > This will give us an opportunity to do some Java 7 work and put that out
> > without leaving Java 7-only folks out of the picture.
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> +1 to be brave and make Lang 3.6 be Java 8, so Lambda helpers can join
> >> here. I have a couple of Stream helpers that could also fit in there.

> Sep.

> >> would
> >> level
> >> them in

> >> language

> >> to be
> file:

> the

> >> functionality.
> package.
> text). We
> think
> even
> Text
> >> and

> >> could

> [lang].

> >> --
> >> Stian Soiland-Reyes
> >> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

> > --
> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> > Home: http://garygregory.com/

> Stian Soiland-Reyes
> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: Java8 utilities

Oliver Heger-3

Am 21.09.2016 um 20:20 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> I'd like to propose an orderly migration assume BC is preserved:
>
> - Release 3.5 RC as scheduled this weekend
> - Release 3.6 with Java 7 changes
> - Release 3.7 with Java 8 changes
>
> This will give us an opportunity to do some Java 7 work and put that out
> without leaving Java 7-only folks out of the picture.

No objections, but just wondering whether Java 7 would have a big
benefit. Are there many places in [lang] where new language features are
useful?

And what would be the (rough) time frame of these releases?

Oliver

> Gary
>

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 to be brave and make Lang 3.6 be Java 8, so Lambda helpers can join
>> here. I have a couple of Stream helpers that could also fit in there.
>>

>> On 21 September 2016 at 18:19, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> would
>> level
>> them in

>> language

>> to be

>> functionality.
>> and
>>>>

>>> Once [lang] 3.5 is out, I think we should update [lang] to Java 7. We
>> could
>>> talk about going directly to Java 8.
>>>
>>> Lambdas are a core Java feature, it feel to me like it belongs in [lang].
>>> [functor] feels like something that should only be for pre-Java 8.
>>>
>>> Gary

>>> --
>>> E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>>> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>>> Home: http://garygregory.com/
>>> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory
>>

>> --
>> Stian Soiland-Reyes
>> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: Java8 utilities

garydgregory
On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 21.09.2016 um 20:20 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> > I'd like to propose an orderly migration assume BC is preserved:
> >
> > - Release 3.5 RC as scheduled this weekend
> > - Release 3.6 with Java 7 changes
> > - Release 3.7 with Java 8 changes
> >
> > This will give us an opportunity to do some Java 7 work and put that out
> > without leaving Java 7-only folks out of the picture.
>
> No objections, but just wondering whether Java 7 would have a big
> benefit. Are there many places in [lang] where new language features are
> useful?

I've not turned on Java 7 in my workspace for [lang] but I am sure all
sorts of compiler warnings will show up that will clean up the code like:

- Use try-with-resources to bullet-proof the whole code base
- Use the diamond notation
- String in switch statements
- Catching multiple exception types
- Better binary and number literals.
- What else?

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/

Le 22/09/2016 à 22:58, Gary Gregory a écrit :

> - What else?

I think the real question here is what kind of benefit Java 7 can bring
to the Commons Lang API. Internal clean-up using the new syntax tricks
isn't really interesting. The benefits of Java 8 are more obvious.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: Java8 utilities

garydgregory
On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 22/09/2016 à 22:58, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>
> > - What else?
>
> I think the real question here is what kind of benefit Java 7 can bring
> to the Commons Lang API. Internal clean-up using the new syntax tricks
> isn't really interesting. The benefits of Java 8 are more obvious.

I agree that Java 8 is much more interesting due to lambdas. But
personally, I'd prefer to see an orderly evolution.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Java8 utilities

Matt Sicker
How about utility methods for java.lang.invoke? There were also some
additions to java.util.concurrent that can be supported in
lang3.concurrent. I'm sure I'm missing other APIs added to JDK 7, but
there's a couple ideas.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Java8 utilities

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Not sure what java.lang.invoke utility methods you are having in mind, to
me it looks complex enough that getting such an API right is not straight
forward and could be better developed outside Lang.

Let's do what Gary proposes and an orderly upgrade - our Java 7
intermediary will mainly be syntactical and not really add many benefits to
Commons Lang Users as opposed to a Java 8 baseline. However the benefits
will be for the devs so that Lang is in good shape for moving to Java 8
next.

Also it dampens any screams e.g. from Android community who tend to lay
behind a few JDK versions.