[LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

[LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom, we can revert this fix.

If nobody objects, I’m going to merge this later this week and prepare RC3.

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/270

Re: [LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

jodastephen
This looks fine in terms of what it does. Obviously not ideal to have
the copying, but that is the right choice to make right now.
Stephen

On 7 June 2017 at 09:25, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom, we can revert this fix.
>
> If nobody objects, I’m going to merge this later this week and prepare RC3.
>
> Cheers,
> Benedikt
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/270

Re: [LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

> On Jun 7, 2017, at 4:25 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom, we can revert this fix.

Regarding naming of the property used in the parent, I went with “commons.module.name” because all of the other properties seem to be period delimited and contain no dashes. That said, I’m ok with “commons.automatic-module-name” and am willing to go through and rename them all.

-Rob

> If nobody objects, I’m going to merge this later this week and prepare RC3.
>
> Cheers,
> Benedikt
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/270

Re: [LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

Stefan Bodewig
On 2017-06-07, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry
> to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration
> from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release
> 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom,
> we can revert this fix.

I've done something similar to Compress already. As Compress has been
overriding the jar-plugin configuration already (in order to add a
main-class) there's been no other option anyway.

I'm afraid Compress is not the only component that overrides the
parent's jar config and thus will require copying the change manually
even if you happen to find a solution for parent.

Stefan

Re: [LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

Jörg Schaible-5
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2017-06-07, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>
>> here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry
>> to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration
>> from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release
>> 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom,
>> we can revert this fix.
>
> I've done something similar to Compress already. As Compress has been
> overriding the jar-plugin configuration already (in order to add a
> main-class) there's been no other option anyway.
>
> I'm afraid Compress is not the only component that overrides the
> parent's jar config and thus will require copying the change manually
> even if you happen to find a solution for parent.

You don't have to overwrite the jar's parent config. Simply append/overwrite
the existing entries:

  <configuration>
    <archive combine.children="append">
      <manifestEntries>
        <Main-Class>org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.Lister</Main-
Class>
      </manifestEntries>
    </archive>
  </configuration>

That's it ;-)

Cheers,
Jörg

On 2017-06-07, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> On 2017-06-07, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

>>> here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry
>>> to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration
>>> from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release
>>> 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom,
>>> we can revert this fix.

>> I've done something similar to Compress already. As Compress has been
>> overriding the jar-plugin configuration already (in order to add a
>> main-class) there's been no other option anyway.

>> I'm afraid Compress is not the only component that overrides the
>> parent's jar config and thus will require copying the change manually
>> even if you happen to find a solution for parent.

> You don't have to overwrite the jar's parent config. Simply append/overwrite
> the existing entries:

>   <configuration>
>     <archive combine.children="append">
>       <manifestEntries>
>         <Main-Class>org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.Lister</Main-Class>
>       </manifestEntries>
>     </archive>
>   </configuration>

> That's it ;-)

I'm pretty sure we've tried that before. I'll give it another shot,
thanks.

Stefan

Re: [LANG] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry

> Am 07.06.2017 um 15:09 schrieb Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]>:
>
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> On 2017-06-07, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>
>>> here [1] is my proposal on how to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry
>>> to MANIFEST. This just duplicates the maven-jar-plugin configuration
>>> from parent pom. I don’t want to wait much longer to release
>>> 3.6. After we have implemented a more general solution in parent pom,
>>> we can revert this fix.
>>
>> I've done something similar to Compress already. As Compress has been
>> overriding the jar-plugin configuration already (in order to add a
>> main-class) there's been no other option anyway.
>>
>> I'm afraid Compress is not the only component that overrides the
>> parent's jar config and thus will require copying the change manually
>> even if you happen to find a solution for parent.
>
> You don't have to overwrite the jar's parent config. Simply append/overwrite
> the existing entries:
>
>  <configuration>
>    <archive combine.children="append">
>      <manifestEntries>
>        <Main-Class>org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.Lister</Main-
> Class>
>      </manifestEntries>
>    </archive>
>  </configuration>
>
> That's it ;-)

Awesome, I could use this trick to add the Automatic-Module-Name entry without having to duplicate the whole maven-jar-plugin configuration!

Thank you