[LANG] Introduce JUnit 5

I’d like to update Commons Lang to use JUnit 5. Existing tests will still run on the JUnit 5 vintage engine and we can migrate tests step by step to JUnit 5 style.

One nice feature I’d like to use are nested tests. With these we could for example create a nested test class for each method of say StringUtils in the StringUtilsTest. This way we can group together all the tests for a single StringUtils method.

Any objections?

Re: [LANG] Introduce JUnit 5

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
+1
Bruno

I’d like to update Commons Lang to use JUnit 5. Existing tests will still run on the JUnit 5 vintage engine and we can migrate tests step by step to JUnit 5 style.

One nice feature I’d like to use are nested tests. With these we could for example create a nested test class for each method of say StringUtils in the StringUtilsTest. This way we can group together all the tests for a single StringUtils method.

Any objections?

Re: [LANG] Introduce JUnit 5

Pascal Schumacher
While I'm generally a fan of JUnit 5 it requires Java 8 and lang is
still on Java 7.

Am 15.10.2017 um 11:48 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:

> Hi,
>
> I’d like to update Commons Lang to use JUnit 5. Existing tests will still run on the JUnit 5 vintage engine and we can migrate tests step by step to JUnit 5 style.
>
> One nice feature I’d like to use are nested tests. With these we could for example create a nested test class for each method of say StringUtils in the StringUtilsTest. This way we can group together all the tests for a single StringUtils method.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt

Re: [LANG] Introduce JUnit 5

Benedikt Ritter-4

> Am 15.10.2017 um 12:26 schrieb Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]>:
>
> While I'm generally a fan of JUnit 5 it requires Java 8 and lang is still on Java 7.

Right, forgot that. Maybe we can introduce it once we decide to move the build to Java 9.

Benedikt

> Am 15.10.2017 um 11:48 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’d like to update Commons Lang to use JUnit 5. Existing tests will still run on the JUnit 5 vintage engine and we can migrate tests step by step to JUnit 5 style.
>>
>> One nice feature I’d like to use are nested tests. With these we could for example create a nested test class for each method of say StringUtils in the StringUtilsTest. This way we can group together all the tests for a single StringUtils method.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Benedikt

Re: [LANG] Introduce JUnit 5

Pascal Schumacher
Another argument to wait a bit is the lacking JUnit 5 support in
Eclipse. JUnit support out of the box was only introduced with the
version released this week. Even-though the support seems a bit lacking,
as JUnit 5 tests are skipped when you run all tests and the project
contains a combination of JUnit 4 and JUnit 5 tests (at least this
happened when I tried it this week). Running single tests was working fine.