[LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi all,

I feel like maintaining separate build descriptions on Jenkins is a PITA.
Any objections against adopting Jenkins Pipeline DSL for Lang?

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

garydgregory
This will be versioned in the repo just like we do for Travis?

Gary

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 12:36 Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I feel like maintaining separate build descriptions on Jenkins is a PITA.
> Any objections against adopting Jenkins Pipeline DSL for Lang?
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Bruno P. Kinoshita-2
None from me. +1

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 6:36, Benedikt Ritter<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi all,

I feel like maintaining separate build descriptions on Jenkins is a PITA.
Any objections against adopting Jenkins Pipeline DSL for Lang?

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Am So., 17. Feb. 2019 um 19:48 Uhr schrieb Gary Gregory <
[hidden email]>:

> This will be versioned in the repo just like we do for Travis?

Yes. It's a description of a jenkins job in a groovy DSL, see
https://jenkins.io/solutions/pipeline/

> Gary
>
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 12:36 Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I feel like maintaining separate build descriptions on Jenkins is a PITA.
> > Any objections against adopting Jenkins Pipeline DSL for Lang?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Benedikt

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Pascal Schumacher
+1 to using a pipeline

Am 17.02.2019 um 18:35 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
> Hi all,
>
> I feel like maintaining separate build descriptions on Jenkins is a PITA.
> Any objections against adopting Jenkins Pipeline DSL for Lang?
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Matt Sicker
+1. You could also make a shared library for reuse in commons projects.

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 14:41, Pascal Schumacher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to using a pipeline
>
> Am 17.02.2019 um 18:35 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I feel like maintaining separate build descriptions on Jenkins is a PITA.
> > Any objections against adopting Jenkins Pipeline DSL for Lang?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Benedikt

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

sebb-2-2
Seems worth trying.

I suggest start with one project (i.e. Lang) and see how well it works.

I assume there will need to be a once-off change to Jenkins to switch
to using the DSL.

Note that some components have multiple jobs, e.g. for different OSes and JVMs.
Does the DSL support such jobs? Or is that still done through the GUI?

S.

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 18:05, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1. You could also make a shared library for reuse in commons projects.
>
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 14:41, Pascal Schumacher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 to using a pipeline
> >
> > Am 17.02.2019 um 18:35 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I feel like maintaining separate build descriptions on Jenkins is a PITA.
> > > Any objections against adopting Jenkins Pipeline DSL for Lang?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Benedikt

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Matt Sicker
The DSL allows you to break out into parallel stages or sequential
ones (or both). The log4net Jenkinsfile has an example of building
across multiple agents:

https://github.com/apache/logging-log4net/blob/feature/cd-pipeline/Jenkinsfile

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 12:44, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems worth trying.
>
> I suggest start with one project (i.e. Lang) and see how well it works.
>
> I assume there will need to be a once-off change to Jenkins to switch
> to using the DSL.
>
> Note that some components have multiple jobs, e.g. for different OSes and JVMs.
> Does the DSL support such jobs? Or is that still done through the GUI?
>
> S.
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 18:05, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1. You could also make a shared library for reuse in commons projects.
> >
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 14:41, Pascal Schumacher
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 to using a pipeline

> > --
> > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Benedikt Ritter-4
I'm happy about the positive feedback. I'm currently a little bit busy at
work. I hope to be able to spike something at the end of next week.

Benedikt

Am Mo., 18. Feb. 2019 um 20:25 Uhr schrieb Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>:

> The DSL allows you to break out into parallel stages or sequential
> ones (or both). The log4net Jenkinsfile has an example of building
> across multiple agents:
>

> https://github.com/apache/logging-log4net/blob/feature/cd-pipeline/Jenkinsfile
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 12:44, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Seems worth trying.
> >
> > I suggest start with one project (i.e. Lang) and see how well it works.
> >
> > I assume there will need to be a once-off change to Jenkins to switch
> > to using the DSL.
> >
> > Note that some components have multiple jobs, e.g. for different OSes
> and JVMs.
> > Does the DSL support such jobs? Or is that still done through the GUI?
> >
> > S.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 18:05, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1. You could also make a shared library for reuse in commons projects.

> a PITA.

> > > --
> > > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi all,

here is my proposal for a Jenkins Pipeline file for Commons Lang:
https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/410
Please review and comment.

Benedikt

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 13:28, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> here is my proposal for a Jenkins Pipeline file for Commons Lang:
> https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/410
> Please review and comment.

It looks OK to me, but I think we need to see it in action.

For example, what about notifications for failed builds - is that
maintained in Jenkins or in the pipeline file?

Am 03.03.2019 um 14:56 schrieb sebb:
> For example, what about notifications for failed builds - is that
> maintained in Jenkins or in the pipeline file?

Notification can be defined in the pipeline.

Pretty much everything can be defined in a jenkins file nowadays (some
plugins do not have pipeline support (yet)).

https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/ has a lot of useful information.

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Matt Sicker
I think you can combine the analysis steps into one mvn command.

Am Mo., 4. März 2019 um 00:17 Uhr schrieb Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>:

> I think you can combine the analysis steps into one mvn command.

Makes sense. What I really want to have is all the analyze steps running in
parallel. Is that passible?

Am So., 3. März 2019 um 14:57 Uhr schrieb sebb <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 13:28, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > here is my proposal for a Jenkins Pipeline file for Commons Lang:
> > https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/410
> > Please review and comment.
>
> It looks OK to me, but I think we need to see it in action.
>
> For example, what about notifications for failed builds - is that
> maintained in Jenkins or in the pipeline file?

I will add notification. The PLC4X Project has a good example for that:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-plc4x/blob/develop/Jenkinsfile

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 09:47, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am So., 3. März 2019 um 14:57 Uhr schrieb sebb <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 13:28, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > here is my proposal for a Jenkins Pipeline file for Commons Lang:
> > > https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/410
> > > Please review and comment.
> >
> > It looks OK to me, but I think we need to see it in action.
> >
> > For example, what about notifications for failed builds - is that
> > maintained in Jenkins or in the pipeline file?
> >

> I will add notification. The PLC4X Project has a good example for that:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-plc4x/blob/develop/Jenkinsfile

Thanks.

Sending emails looks really long-winded compared with the Jenkins UI.
Easy to get things wrong; harder to maintain.

Am Mo., 4. März 2019 um 10:50 Uhr schrieb sebb <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 09:47, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Am So., 3. März 2019 um 14:57 Uhr schrieb sebb <[hidden email]>:

> > > It looks OK to me, but I think we need to see it in action.
> > >
> > > For example, what about notifications for failed builds - is that
> > > maintained in Jenkins or in the pipeline file?
> > >

> > I will add notification. The PLC4X Project has a good example for that:
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-plc4x/blob/develop/Jenkinsfile
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sending emails looks really long-winded compared with the Jenkins UI.
> Easy to get things wrong; harder to maintain.

It's jetzt the groovy representations of what you would otherwise configure
in the UI.
I've pushed email notifications to the PR on GitHub.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 03:46, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mo., 4. März 2019 um 00:17 Uhr schrieb Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>:
>
> > I think you can combine the analysis steps into one mvn command.
> >

> Makes sense. What I really want to have is all the analyze steps running in
> parallel. Is that passible?

Yeah, you can use a parallel block to do that. Each command is a separate
branch in the parallel, so no combining commands there. That should break
it up into multiple executors.

> > On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 14:15, Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:

> > > Notification can be defined in the pipeline.
> > >
> > > Pretty much everything can be defined in a jenkins file nowadays (some
> > > plugins do not have pipeline support (yet)).
> > >
> > > https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/ has a lot of useful information.

> > --
> > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Hi!

the PR has been merged and I've created a multi branch pipeline [1]. I've
used the configuration from the PLC4X project because I know they were
among the first to use pipeline files. I recommend that we let this build
for a while to get a feeling whether this works the way we want. If it does
we can then drop the old manually configured pipeline.

[1]
https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/job/commons-lang-pipeline/

Re: [LANG] Jenkins Pipeline DSL

Rob Tompkins