[LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

since we’re getting more and more requests about the deprecation of RandomStringUtils, I’m thinking about releasing the current state of the master branch as 3.6.1. I may have time to push an RC sometime this week. So if you have some fixes you want to include, please do so now.

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Amey Jadiye
Hello Benedikt,

How about we keep that deprecated in lang and release Text-1.2 ? I will
submit changes [1] related to this in fact i'm fixing couple of failing
test cases ATM. If you are planning to release 3.6.1 just to remove
deprecation and  deprecate RandomStringUtils back in Lang - 3.7 I'm fine
with that as well.

[1]. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-101

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since we’re getting more and more requests about the deprecation of
> RandomStringUtils, I’m thinking about releasing the current state of the
> master branch as 3.6.1. I may have time to push an RC sometime this week.
> So if you have some fixes you want to include, please do so now.
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Rob Tompkins

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Benedikt,
>
> How about we keep that deprecated in lang and release Text-1.2 ?
[snip]

I’m on board with this if folks are complaining and the original intent was to deprecate things in [lang]. Why not roll forward as opposed to backwards?

But, that opens the question: Is RandomStringUtils something that most folks would want (i.e. should it be in [lang] or [text])? I think that question is more the heart of the problem here. Either direction seems reasonable to me.

Thoughts?

-Rob

> I will
> submit changes [1] related to this in fact i'm fixing couple of failing
> test cases ATM. If you are planning to release 3.6.1 just to remove
> deprecation and  deprecate RandomStringUtils back in Lang - 3.7 I'm fine
> with that as well.
>
> [1]. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-101
>
> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> since we’re getting more and more requests about the deprecation of
>> RandomStringUtils, I’m thinking about releasing the current state of the
>> master branch as 3.6.1. I may have time to push an RC sometime this week.
>> So if you have some fixes you want to include, please do so now.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Benedikt

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Pascal Schumacher

Am 5. September 2017 07:17:57 MESZ schrieb Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>:

>Hi,
>
>since we’re getting more and more requests about the deprecation of
>RandomStringUtils, I’m thinking about releasing the current state of
>the master branch as 3.6.1. I may have time to push an RC sometime this
>week. So if you have some fixes you want to include, please do so now.
>
>Regards,
>Benedikt

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Amey Jadiye
Hi Rob,

Looking at frequency I think more number of requests coming
for RandomStringUtils for its simplicity.

 RandomStringGenerator is strong , flexible but one can't use it quickly.
Also I think this tool should belong in Commons text's arsenal. I'm not
only moving RandomStringUtils  to text but changing its core logic with
using
RandomStringGenerator which seems fair to me. So finally we should release
text-1.2 rather doing rollback of deprecation and release lang 3.6.1,  WDYT
?

Regards,
Amey

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017, 12:00 AM Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Sep 5, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Benedikt,
> >
> > How about we keep that deprecated in lang and release Text-1.2 ?
> [snip]
>
> I’m on board with this if folks are complaining and the original intent
> was to deprecate things in [lang]. Why not roll forward as opposed to
> backwards?
>
> But, that opens the question: Is RandomStringUtils something that most
> folks would want (i.e. should it be in [lang] or [text])? I think that
> question is more the heart of the problem here. Either direction seems
> reasonable to me.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Rob
>
> > I will
> > submit changes [1] related to this in fact i'm fixing couple of failing
> > test cases ATM. If you are planning to release 3.6.1 just to remove
> > deprecation and  deprecate RandomStringUtils back in Lang - 3.7 I'm fine
> > with that as well.
> >
> > [1]. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-101
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> since we’re getting more and more requests about the deprecation of
> >> RandomStringUtils, I’m thinking about releasing the current state of the
> >> master branch as 3.6.1. I may have time to push an RC sometime this
> week.
> >> So if you have some fixes you want to include, please do so now.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Benedikt

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Rob Tompkins

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 3:34 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> Looking at frequency I think more number of requests coming
> for RandomStringUtils for its simplicity.
>
> RandomStringGenerator is strong , flexible but one can't use it quickly.
> Also I think this tool should belong in Commons text's arsenal. I'm not
> only moving RandomStringUtils  to text but changing its core logic with
> using
> RandomStringGenerator which seems fair to me. So finally we should release
> text-1.2 rather doing rollback of deprecation and release lang 3.6.1,  WDYT
> ?

I definitely lean this direction, but if I recall correctly we drew “line between [lang] and [text]” to be: a piece of functionality should go in [lang] if the arbitrary java developer would probably want it, whereas text is geared towards folks actually doing text manipulation [1].

Personally I’m a +0 to +1 on doing this, but I wanted to gauge other folks’ thoughts here because I feel like we’re in that grey area here. That said, I’m perfectly willing to roll a 1.2 [text] release.

Cheers,
-Rob

[1] http://markmail.org/message/a2urysnxvxihfoto

> Regards,
> Amey
>
> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017, 12:00 AM Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> On Sep 5, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Benedikt,
>>>
>>> How about we keep that deprecated in lang and release Text-1.2 ?
>> [snip]
>>
>> I’m on board with this if folks are complaining and the original intent
>> was to deprecate things in [lang]. Why not roll forward as opposed to
>> backwards?
>>
>> But, that opens the question: Is RandomStringUtils something that most
>> folks would want (i.e. should it be in [lang] or [text])? I think that
>> question is more the heart of the problem here. Either direction seems
>> reasonable to me.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>> I will
>>> submit changes [1] related to this in fact i'm fixing couple of failing
>>> test cases ATM. If you are planning to release 3.6.1 just to remove
>>> deprecation and  deprecate RandomStringUtils back in Lang - 3.7 I'm fine
>>> with that as well.
>>>
>>> [1]. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-101

>> week.

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Gilles Sadowski
On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 06:55:49 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:

>> On Sep 6, 2017, at 3:34 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Looking at frequency I think more number of requests coming
>> for RandomStringUtils for its simplicity.
>>
>> RandomStringGenerator is strong , flexible but one can't use it
>> quickly.
>> Also I think this tool should belong in Commons text's arsenal. I'm
>> not
>> only moving RandomStringUtils  to text but changing its core logic
>> with
>> using
>> RandomStringGenerator which seems fair to me. So finally we should
>> release
>> text-1.2 rather doing rollback of deprecation and release lang
>> 3.6.1,  WDYT
>> ?
>>

> I definitely lean this direction, but if I recall correctly we drew
> “line between [lang] and [text]” to be: a piece of functionality
> should go in [lang] if the arbitrary java developer would probably
> want it, whereas text is geared towards folks actually doing text
> manipulation [1].
>
> Personally I’m a +0 to +1 on doing this, but I wanted to gauge other
> folks’ thoughts here because I feel like we’re in that grey area
> here.
> That said, I’m perfectly willing to roll a 1.2 [text] release.

"Grey area" should favour small components.

> -Rob
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/a2urysnxvxihfoto
>
>> Regards,
>> Amey

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I’m on board with this if folks are complaining and the original
>>> intent
>>> was to deprecate things in [lang]. Why not roll forward as opposed
>>> backwards?
>>>
>>> But, that opens the question: Is RandomStringUtils something that
>>> most
>>> folks would want (i.e. should it be in [lang] or [text])? I think
>>> that
>>> question is more the heart of the problem here. Either direction
>>> seems
>>> reasonable to me.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> -Rob

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Rob Tompkins

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 7:05 AM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 06:55:49 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>>> On Sep 6, 2017, at 3:34 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> Looking at frequency I think more number of requests coming
>>> for RandomStringUtils for its simplicity.
>>>
>>> RandomStringGenerator is strong , flexible but one can't use it quickly.
>>> Also I think this tool should belong in Commons text's arsenal. I'm not
>>> only moving RandomStringUtils  to text but changing its core logic with
>>> using
>>> RandomStringGenerator which seems fair to me. So finally we should release
>>> text-1.2 rather doing rollback of deprecation and release lang 3.6.1,  WDYT
>>> ?
>>>

>> I definitely lean this direction, but if I recall correctly we drew
>> “line between [lang] and [text]” to be: a piece of functionality
>> should go in [lang] if the arbitrary java developer would probably
>> want it, whereas text is geared towards folks actually doing text
>> manipulation [1].
>>
>> Personally I’m a +0 to +1 on doing this, but I wanted to gauge other
>> folks’ thoughts here because I feel like we’re in that grey area here.
>> That said, I’m perfectly willing to roll a 1.2 [text] release.
>
> "Grey area" should favour small components.

Fair point. I take that to mean that you think that it should either go into text to make lang smaller or its own component.

I suppose because the generator lives in [text] that makes a good argument for [text].

More thoughts out there?

-Rob

> Gilles
>

>> Cheers,
>> -Rob
>>
>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/a2urysnxvxihfoto
>>
>>> Regards,

AW: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
Using RandomStringGenerator from RandomStringUtils sounds good, but implies adding
a dependency to commons-lang (commons-text).
At the moment the only dependencies are for testing [1].

I am more of a -0 about adding the dependency, because this implies that all projects using commons-lang have to deliver commons-text too.
Optional dependencies seem to be a solution, but [2] shows that these dependencies should be avoided if possible.

Jan

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/blob/master/pom.xml
[2] https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-optional-and-excludes-dependencies.html

Re: AW: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Gilles Sadowski
On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 13:15:33 +0200, Jan Matèrne wrote:
> Using RandomStringGenerator from RandomStringUtils sounds good, but
> implies adding
> a dependency to commons-lang (commons-text).

I haven't understood it that way; IIRC it was suggested that
"Commons Text" would additionally provide the same easy-to-use
API (alias "RandomStringUtils") as is currently in "Commons
Lang".
When available, "RandomStringUtils" will be deleted from the
latter, and users will have to modify their "import" statement.

> At the moment the only dependencies are for testing [1].
>
> I am more of a -0 about adding the dependency, because this implies
> that all projects using commons-lang have to deliver commons-text
> too.
> Optional dependencies seem to be a solution, but [2] shows that these
> dependencies should be avoided if possible.
>
> Jan
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/blob/master/pom.xml
> [2]
>
> https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-optional-and-excludes-dependencies.html

AW: AW: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
> > Using RandomStringGenerator from RandomStringUtils sounds good, but
> > implies adding a dependency to commons-lang (commons-text).
>
> I haven't understood it that way; IIRC it was suggested that "Commons
> Text" would additionally provide the same easy-to-use API (alias
> "RandomStringUtils") as is currently in "Commons Lang".
> When available, "RandomStringUtils" will be deleted from the latter,
> and users will have to modify their "import" statement.

Ok, that would be fine
* RandomStringGenerator in commons-text
* new RandomStringUtils in commons-text with different package using RandomStringGenerator
* mark RandomStringUtils in commons-lang as deprecated
* release commons-text
* release commons-lang
* later remove RSU from commons-lang

Jan

Re: AW: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

garydgregory
On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Using RandomStringGenerator from RandomStringUtils sounds good, but
> > > implies adding a dependency to commons-lang (commons-text).
> >
> > I haven't understood it that way; IIRC it was suggested that "Commons
> > Text" would additionally provide the same easy-to-use API (alias
> > "RandomStringUtils") as is currently in "Commons Lang".
> > When available, "RandomStringUtils" will be deleted from the latter,
> > and users will have to modify their "import" statement.
>
> Ok, that would be fine
> * RandomStringGenerator in commons-text
> * new RandomStringUtils in commons-text with different package using
> RandomStringGenerator
> * mark RandomStringUtils in commons-lang as deprecated
> * release commons-text
> * release commons-lang
> * later remove RSU from commons-lang

As in 4.0.

Gary

> Jan

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Pascal Schumacher
I'm for keeping RandomStringUtils in lang (at least in 3.x).

Am 06.09.2017 um 12:55 schrieb Rob Tompkins:

>> On Sep 6, 2017, at 3:34 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Looking at frequency I think more number of requests coming
>> for RandomStringUtils for its simplicity.
>>
>> RandomStringGenerator is strong , flexible but one can't use it quickly.
>> Also I think this tool should belong in Commons text's arsenal. I'm not
>> only moving RandomStringUtils  to text but changing its core logic with
>> using
>> RandomStringGenerator which seems fair to me. So finally we should release
>> text-1.2 rather doing rollback of deprecation and release lang 3.6.1,  WDYT
>> ?
>>
> I definitely lean this direction, but if I recall correctly we drew “line between [lang] and [text]” to be: a piece of functionality should go in [lang] if the arbitrary java developer would probably want it, whereas text is geared towards folks actually doing text manipulation [1].
>
> Personally I’m a +0 to +1 on doing this, but I wanted to gauge other folks’ thoughts here because I feel like we’re in that grey area here. That said, I’m perfectly willing to roll a 1.2 [text] release.
>
> Cheers,
> -Rob
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/a2urysnxvxihfoto
>
>> Regards,

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I’m on board with this if folks are complaining and the original intent
>>> was to deprecate things in [lang]. Why not roll forward as opposed to
>>> backwards?
>>>
>>> But, that opens the question: Is RandomStringUtils something that most
>>> folks would want (i.e. should it be in [lang] or [text])? I think that
>>> question is more the heart of the problem here. Either direction seems
>>> reasonable to me.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> -Rob

>>> week.

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

garydgregory
On Sep 6, 2017 12:31, "Pascal Schumacher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm for keeping RandomStringUtils in lang (at least in 3.x).

It has to stay in 3.x no matter what to maintain BC.

Gary

Am 06.09.2017 um 12:55 schrieb Rob Tompkins:

> On Sep 6, 2017, at 3:34 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Looking at frequency I think more number of requests coming
>> for RandomStringUtils for its simplicity.
>>
>> RandomStringGenerator is strong , flexible but one can't use it quickly.
>> Also I think this tool should belong in Commons text's arsenal. I'm not
>> only moving RandomStringUtils  to text but changing its core logic with
>> using
>> RandomStringGenerator which seems fair to me. So finally we should release
>> text-1.2 rather doing rollback of deprecation and release lang 3.6.1,
>> WDYT
>> ?
>>
>> I definitely lean this direction, but if I recall correctly we drew “line
> between [lang] and [text]” to be: a piece of functionality should go in
> [lang] if the arbitrary java developer would probably want it, whereas text
> is geared towards folks actually doing text manipulation [1].
>
> Personally I’m a +0 to +1 on doing this, but I wanted to gauge other
> folks’ thoughts here because I feel like we’re in that grey area here. That
> said, I’m perfectly willing to roll a 1.2 [text] release.
>
> Cheers,
> -Rob
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/a2urysnxvxihfoto
>
> Regards,
>> Amey

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I’m on board with this if folks are complaining and the original intent
>>> was to deprecate things in [lang]. Why not roll forward as opposed to
>>> backwards?
>>>
>>> But, that opens the question: Is RandomStringUtils something that most
>>> folks would want (i.e. should it be in [lang] or [text])? I think that
>>> question is more the heart of the problem here. Either direction seems
>>> reasonable to me.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>
>>> I will

Re: [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Pascal Schumacher
What I really wanted to say was:

I'm for keeping RandomStringUtils undeprecated in lang.

Sorry,
Pascal

Am 06.09.2017 um 21:20 schrieb Gary Gregory:

> On Sep 6, 2017 12:31, "Pascal Schumacher" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm for keeping RandomStringUtils in lang (at least in 3.x).
>

> It has to stay in 3.x no matter what to maintain BC.
>
> Gary
>

> Am 06.09.2017 um 12:55 schrieb Rob Tompkins:
>
>> On Sep 6, 2017, at 3:34 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> Looking at frequency I think more number of requests coming
>>> for RandomStringUtils for its simplicity.
>>>
>>> RandomStringGenerator is strong , flexible but one can't use it quickly.
>>> Also I think this tool should belong in Commons text's arsenal. I'm not
>>> only moving RandomStringUtils  to text but changing its core logic with
>>> using
>>> RandomStringGenerator which seems fair to me. So finally we should release
>>> text-1.2 rather doing rollback of deprecation and release lang 3.6.1,
>>> WDYT
>>> ?
>>>
>>> I definitely lean this direction, but if I recall correctly we drew “line
>> between [lang] and [text]” to be: a piece of functionality should go in
>> [lang] if the arbitrary java developer would probably want it, whereas text
>> is geared towards folks actually doing text manipulation [1].
>>
>> Personally I’m a +0 to +1 on doing this, but I wanted to gauge other
>> folks’ thoughts here because I feel like we’re in that grey area here. That
>> said, I’m perfectly willing to roll a 1.2 [text] release.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Rob
>>
>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/a2urysnxvxihfoto
>>
>> Regards,
>>> Amey

Re: Moved RSU to Text [was] [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Amey Jadiye
Hello Rob,

I have submitted pull req. let me know if below action plan looks good.

* RandomStringGenerator in commons-text
* new RandomStringUtils in commons-text with different package using
RandomStringGenerator
* Mark RandomStringUtils in commons-lang as deprecated
* release commons-text 1.2
* release commons-lang 3.7 (doesn't matter ATM)
* later remove RSU from commons-lang from Commons lang 4.0

Regards,
Amey

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017, 4:43 PM Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> quickly.
> release
> WDYT
> >>>

> >> I definitely lean this direction, but if I recall correctly we drew
> >> “line between [lang] and [text]” to be: a piece of functionality
> >> should go in [lang] if the arbitrary java developer would probably
> >> want it, whereas text is geared towards folks actually doing text
> >> manipulation [1].
> >>
> >> Personally I’m a +0 to +1 on doing this, but I wanted to gauge other
> >> folks’ thoughts here because I feel like we’re in that grey area here.
> >> That said, I’m perfectly willing to roll a 1.2 [text] release.
> >
> > "Grey area" should favour small components.
>
> Fair point. I take that to mean that you think that it should either go
> into text to make lang smaller or its own component.
>
> I suppose because the generator lives in [text] that makes a good argument
> for [text].
>
> More thoughts out there?
>
> -Rob
>

> > Gilles
> >

> >> Cheers,
> >> -Rob
> >>
> >> [1] http://markmail.org/message/a2urysnxvxihfoto

> intent

Re: Moved RSU to Text [was] [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Rob Tompkins

> On Sep 12, 2017, at 12:38 AM, Amey Jadiye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Rob,

I'm going to be away from my computer until Friday. I'll give it a look then if that's alright with you.

Cheers,
-Rob

> I have submitted pull req. let me know if below action plan looks good.
>
> * RandomStringGenerator in commons-text
> * new RandomStringUtils in commons-text with different package using
> RandomStringGenerator
> * Mark RandomStringUtils in commons-lang as deprecated
> * release commons-text 1.2
> * release commons-lang 3.7 (doesn't matter ATM)
> * later remove RSU from commons-lang from Commons lang 4.0
>
> Regards,
> Amey
>
>> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017, 4:43 PM Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> quickly.
>> release
>> WDYT

>>> "Grey area" should favour small components.
>>
>> Fair point. I take that to mean that you think that it should either go
>> into text to make lang smaller or its own component.
>>
>> I suppose because the generator lives in [text] that makes a good argument
>> for [text].
>>
>> More thoughts out there?
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>>> Gilles

>> intent

Re: Moved RSU to Text [was] [LANG] Releasing 3.6.1

Amey Jadiye
I'm fine with that, how about other people think about the change ? and one
open question related to this in other mail thread.
http://markmail.org/message/2o3v7qka742kc2rv

Regards,
Amey